Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 12:58:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2-Piece Textile Gear on the Track -- Pros and Cons  (Read 3613 times)
obeedobe

I ride Il Mostro 696

« on: October 03, 2008, 04:22:36 PM »

Just signed up for my first Superbike School (one day) at Infineon in Nov. Just getting started riding so doing this to ride better/smarter/smoother -- not necessarily faster. Not sure I will want to do track days in the future.  So I wonder if its worth investing in full leathers for what may be just a day at the track. Have Revit Airforce jacket and Challenge pants -- both textile. Wear with a Revit Lev 2 BP. Sidi boots. Or I understand I can rent gear.  Anyone been in this situation before?  Huh?

Thanks, Nick
Heath

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »

Don't worry about going fast they don't work on that in the first class anyways.  Smiley

What gear do you currently have?
What kind of budget do you have?

If you can budget it I would say take the plunge and invest in some good gear.  You don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get a one piece or 2 piece suit really.  Also you might be able to get some end of the season deals right now cause all the new stuff is coming out. 

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
obeedobe

I ride Il Mostro 696

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:40:55 PM »

Don't worry about going fast they don't work on that in the first class anyways.

If the first class isn't going to involve high speeds, I would think my Revit gear should be ok.

What gear do you currently have?

Revit Airforce jacket and Challenge pants -- both textile. Revit Lev 2 Back Protector. Sidi boots.

What kind of budget do you have?

Willing to spend money to be safe, if necessary, but don't want to drop $800+ on full leathers if I'm not going to need them.

Thanks!!
DesmoDiva

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 05:20:01 AM »

I did three days of superbike school this past august.  I was by no means fast.  I went in with the mentality I was there to learn the skills and speed comes after.  All of my coaches were supportive, and I, in no way, felt pushed to go faster. 

As for gear, I have my own leather suit (plan on doing many track days), but ended up having to borrow one of their suits due to a zipper malfunction.  I would recommend not risking damage to your road gear (textiles) and just rent a leather suit from them.   Then if you decide you really like the track (believe me, you will) you can save up for your own leathers.  Many people also use leather pants/jacket that zip together all the way around. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Have fun!!

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »

rent theirs.

'not fast' riding on the track is still very fast sliding on pavement.

G, doing levels one and two after only riding for a summer, was still nudging triple digits on the straight.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »

Track=leather (unless it's an Aerostich Roadcrafter and even then, leather is the way to go).  But I DEFINITELY would not take mesh textile gear to the track.  Mesh is not even remotely OK for track riding.

You can rent their leathers.  It also sounds like you're local to the Bay Area.  Helimot rents leathers for trackdays.  TILT makes custom leather suits for $425 (no idea about their quality, but you can read the reviews on BARF.  Just take the BARF opinions with a grain of salt.  A lot of those folks have no idea WTF they're talking about.).

A lot of us ride and race at Infineon/Sears, so if you need any pre-trackday assistance, holler up in the MOB. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:31:16 PM by Spidey » Logged

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »

ever seen textile when it hits pavements?

it litterally explodes into a thousand strands and it breaks up into pieces. Generally speaking, its a one time use thing. Wouldnt want to cut your fun short! go leather!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
obeedobe

I ride Il Mostro 696

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like leather is the way to go. Guess I will rent some gear for next month then see how it goes.

Really appreciate the input.

Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: