Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:42:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Clip-On or not to Clip-On?  (Read 3831 times)
johnnierandom

« on: May 09, 2008, 10:48:18 AM »

I'm 6'2" and often feel a little cramped in the stock riding position, and like I can't lean far enough forward on the highway  Will clip-ons and/or new rearsets help or hurt?  And if you were going to do them one at a time, which would you do first, the clip-ons or the rearsets?
zarn02

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »

i've no experience with aftermarket rearsets, but i did put a set of tommaselli under-the-triple clip-ons on my 900. lowered the grips a lot, for me it was a huge improvement, as i like to lay down a bit on the highway, and the stock bars made my elbows throb after awhile of doing that.

for reference, i'm also 6'2".

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
johnnierandom

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »

Thanks.
ICON
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 02:20:02 PM »

I'm 6'2" and often feel a little cramped in the stock riding position, and like I can't lean far enough forward on the highway  Will clip-ons and/or new rearsets help or hurt?  And if you were going to do them one at a time, which would you do first, the clip-ons or the rearsets?

What Monster are you riding? What type of riding are you doing/will do? How long have you had the bike and do you only have one bike?

I'm 6'2 as well and have clipons under my triple, along with Sato rearsets. After about 100 miles it starts to bother my shoulders and neck.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:21:42 PM by ICON » Logged
goldFiSh

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:06:09 AM »

I'm 6'4 and have std bars, but cycle cat rearsets..

The rear sets made a huge improvement for me, and I highly recommend anything that gives your legs more room if you have the same long legged issues as me.

As for clip ons, I too have pondered this a lot. From what I have read, you really compromise long distance comfort with clip ons. My riding is all weekend day trip adventures, and usually means 6-8 hours in the saddle, and so, std bars are still there...

RogueMnstr

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 05:52:12 PM »

6'2", and I loved the no-rise clipons that came with my bike for two three reasons:

1. seemed better for corner carving
2. easy to crouch behind the minscule bikini fairing at speed
3. added badass cafe-racer look to the front of the bike  Cheesy

I eventually axed them for the stock bar for one reason:

1. Complete lack of comfort in commuting duty

When riding the bike turned into an almost daily thing for me, is when the balance tipped. I'm talking shoulders, neck, wrists, and occasional back discomfort. Plus my hands started to go numb faster in the winter with all that weight on them  Tongue
johnnierandom

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 12:57:38 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.  I have an 07 S2R800, and my riding is mostly weekend day trips, 3-6 hours at a crack.  Sounds like I should try rearsets first, as clip-ons might get uncomfortable after a while.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: