Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:55:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch Modifications  (Read 2709 times)
BretMorris

« on: May 09, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »

Hi all Aussie Monster owners,

I know this post should most likely be in the Accessories and Modification section but I was after some specific advice and or opinions from local Aussie riders so hope it is ok to post this in here.

After many hours of viewing the photos on the gallery and respective members bikes I have decided to do the open clutch modification. Have settled on a SpeedyMoto Area 51 cover in black. Now comes the decision on what brand pressure plate to go with.  I am going to go with a red anodized one but not sure about Ducato Performance, Rizoma or the Speedymoto - Kukri Pro Pressure plate or Shinobi Pro Pressure plate. The later two seem to provide some more protection to the clutch mechanism in the event of a fall but maybe that is just me believing the sales pitch.  Anyway coupled with new stainless steel springs and black caps it should look sweet.

So would anyone recommend a particular pressure plate over any other?

Appreciate any advice and help.

Bret
Spider
Ozmonsters: degenerating nicely since 2008

I may be long, but I fold up nicely

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »

glad you made it across mate!

haven't done any of that yet - but I did get some SS springs and a Paulimoto spyder retainer plate to replace the individual caps. Apparently evens out clutch pull (mine is very late catching apparently). You'd have to decide on the PP before though.

have you gone to Desmo times to check out his (Mr. Snyder) clutch section...

one thing I've noticed - the billet PP don't seem to save very much weight - but they look great!
tricolore

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »

I went with STM Vertigo, Made in Italy, I got mine from frasers in Syd. Extremely light weight compared to standard. Available in red, I went with Ti colour. I am happy with it. I think it cost about $250.00. Looks pretty cocky in red wt:

'08 S4RS Tri, '02 VOR En450, MV Agusta F4 Tracky, Ducati 900 Darmah.
sydmonster
Street_Cred_Points.com CEO

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »

Bret,
 Just about all the brands you mention will do fine. Im not brand biast enough to mention. But since you'r getting SpeedyMoto stuf (which you have to import) why not import one of their pressure plates too. Do it all in 1 go and take advantage of our currently strong dollar.

The most important part is installation. The plate MUST go on a certain way. On the pins on the clutch hub, one will be marked with a notch across it (were the bolt for the spring caps go). The new plate will have a mark on it, somewere on the side or adjacent to one of the holes. These two must line up to get properr actions from your plate. Good luck - Chris

...Sydmonster - down under
Contact me about your mods and what Street Cred Points you can earn!
BretMorris

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:42:52 PM »

Thanks everyone for the advice,

I was just tempted to take the bike to the local Ducati Dealer and get them to do all the work. But they sell the DP plate and at $290 wasnt sure it was the best option.  I reckon shopping around in the US for Speedymoto or MPL, STM or Rizoma might save me a few bucks.  I have bought Rizoma gear from PJS Parts and they have been terrific. I just wasnt too sure if I should stick to various brands or not!  Too many options.. lol

Bret
loony888

"I WAS GOING HOW FAST, OFFICER?"

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:32:50 AM »

i'd go the speedymoto.
their pressure plates have hi rise around the springs so if you do have a spill and their cover (which, the area51 is very sexy by the way) fails, highly doubtful! you won't shear the posts off the hub.
ca-cycleworks should have the lot in stock, and i always give chris a plug, deal with him and you'll see why.

cheers,
paul.

HERE AND NOW                      12 DIAVEL AMG
                                              93 888 RS
                                              09 1098R BAYLISS
                                              07 Husqvarna TE 450

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN        03 S4R       95 900SL
                                              01 S4         93 900M
                                              96 748SP
dragonworld.
I can make like a tripod with my.....

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 01:46:46 AM »

+1 for the Paulimoto retainers.  wt:
Well made, look trick and are functional.  Wink Grin

Secret to a long relationship is........Keep the fights clean and the sex DIRTY"!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: