Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 06:39:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking the shock off  (Read 7298 times)
MuscovyDuc

02' M750I.E. Dark - (pearl white)

« on: May 09, 2008, 03:35:27 PM »

I was thinking about painting my spring and was wondering what all was gonna be involved with removal of the shock, breakdown of the shock to get to the spring, etc

Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »

Support the rear of the bike (by the frame, not  the swingarm) remove the two bolts that secure the shock, turn off the spring retainers and remove the spring.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
sydmonster
Street_Cred_Points.com CEO

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »

Support the rear of the bike (by the frame, not  the swingarm) remove the two bolts that secure the shock, turn off the spring retainers and remove the spring.
+1, you need to support the bike, but not any part of the rear swing arm. So some straps from a ceiling joist can work well. If you have a front stand or also strap up the bars to keep the bike upright too. You need to unload that rear.
 Don't forget the springs get hot (in use and from the exhausts) so use hi-temp paint. - Chris

...Sydmonster - down under
Contact me about your mods and what Street Cred Points you can earn!
Rameses
Local Moderator

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »

You're also going to need a spring compressor for disassembling the shock and reassembling it.

Pompetta came up with a great idea of using a rubber tube with a longitudinal slit in it to wrap around the spring coils and make it easier for the compressor to grip the spring.  It also protects the finish of the spring's new color on reassembly.

Also, powdercoating works well on the spring.

Make sure to post pics.   wt:

bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:28:10 PM »

Support the rear of the bike (by the frame, not  the swingarm)

A completely dodgy, non recommended way of doing this that _I'd certainly think twice about before doing, again...

Support the bike on a rear stand, put a block of wood across the frame under the passenger grab rails, and put a scissor jack between it and the back wheel and jack it up just enough to remove the weight from the shock/spring assembly - you can tweak the jack up and down until the bolts holding the shock are unloaded enough to pull out (you'll need to remove the hugger if you've still got it fitted).

bad-advice-giving-big

Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 01:12:12 AM »

A completely dodgy, non recommended way of doing this that _I'd certainly think twice about before doing, again...

bad-advice-giving-big

Oh, come on.  You know you'll go right ahead and do it again without a seconds hesitation, 'cause it works so well.

As long as you remember to not turn the wheel      Tongue

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »

Support the bike on a rear stand, put a block of wood across the frame under the passenger grab rails, and put a scissor jack between it and the back wheel and jack it up just enough to remove the weight from the shock/spring assembly - you can tweak the jack up and down until the bolts holding the shock are unloaded enough to pull out (you'll need to remove the hugger if you've still got it fitted).

+1.  This is MUCH easier than the other beam method.  I'd suggest wrapping a rag around the block of wood so you don't scratch your grab bars.  Also if you can I would get it powder coated not painted. 

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Vindingo

02' 620 Dirty

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 11:43:21 PM »

Im gona +2 on the scissor jack method.  Its really simple.   waytogo
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 12:14:18 AM »

OK, if anyone asks, you got this idea from uclabiker and vindigo, right?

cheeky

big

A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 04:37:00 AM »

Yeah, the jack between the wheel and frame method is easy, but the penalty for failure is higher. If you've got the frame hanging from the cieling there's about nothing to go wrong. If your wheel spins in the other method, your jack falls out, and the weight of your bike comes down with no rear shock. You probably won't cause any damage,but you might get the linkage wedged and full stuff.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Rameses
Local Moderator

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 06:03:23 AM »

Here's a thought.

Scissor jack method with straps hooked, but not taut, as a safety?

Just throwing that out there.   waytogo

hiero

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:58 AM »

I like to put the bike up on a rearstand and front stand, then put a piece of wood under the engine with a floor jack (or two), then remove the rearstand, if you do it right, it's very stable...  My garage has questionable rafters, so I don't like to put weight on em...

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 11:42:27 AM »

I use a steel rod through the swing arm pivot and automotive jack stands.
hiero

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »

I use a steel rod through the swing arm pivot and automotive jack stands.

ah yes, i do that with the 748 when I need to do stuff in the back

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: