Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 11:33:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $2 mosquito trap -- works!  (Read 5034 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« on: October 12, 2008, 07:01:59 PM »

http://hubpages.com/hub/Home_made_Mosquito_Trap

we made a few of these.  put one under the deck in August.

took it out a few days ago to check -- and promptly dumped it.  i should have taken photos.  it had a huge amount of mosquito carcasses in it.  the inside of the bottle was black with them, quite disgusting.

i am sure we put a huge dent in the mosquito population around here.  i'll be making these every year from now on.

the site says to change the liquid every 2-3 weeks, i am sure the sugar is long gone at that point.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »

wow i should of made this earlier this month.

I had such a bad case of mosquitos that i woke up in the middle of the night cold with 15 bites every night. I closed all my windows and they kept comming.

At one point i was convinved it was pyschological since the marks dissapeared in the morning and i had a vague memory of waking up and puting mosqito bite ointment on it.

then as it got colder it went away.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 07:54:08 PM »

Seems like all NYC had a mosquito epidemic this summer.  Wonder why.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 07:57:03 PM »

Seems like all NYC had a mosquito epidemic this summer.  Wonder why.

they didnt spray ddt last year.

I wanted to purchase a butterfly farm since all that DDT killed everything back in whenever that west nile pandemic was. They killed my praying mantis too. i had 50 of those guys running around in my yard lol.

There is next year too.

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Fresh Pants

Moof

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »

I'm in Denver. What are mosquitos?  cheeky

I know what mosquitos are, I grew up in Hawaii. I know what roaches are for that matte too. We're just lucky to not have as many bug problems here. Okay, we have moths.

Bwooooooahhh
Braaaaaaaappp
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 08:45:48 PM »

That just means you have to worry about Buffalo bill.  waytogo

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 04:36:25 AM »

DDT has been banned since 1972.  They were spraying a much less effective product, Anvil 10 + 10.  http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/wnv/wnvspray.shtml
I don't remember having a problem like this before the West Nile scare.  Maybe the problem is the spray is killing the more friendly (to us) bugs like the praying mantis.  I am not suggesting they go back to DDT, but something is definitely wrong.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 04:45:44 AM »

Sumithrin is a pyrethrin, which is synthesized from an extract of chrysanthemum flowers.

It is very surprising to me that ppl would tolerate that shit being sprayed in that manner. 

If you're going to pay the money to spray, why not just give ppl coupons to get some Off! and citronella candles for their personal use -- and give them the $2 mosquito trap.

Pyrethrins will kill off all insects.  Insects like the mantis are slow breeders whereas mosquitos are fast breeders.  Kill off a generation and the next time around you still have a bunch of mosquitos but with no predators.

Typical NYC dumbass bureaucrat thinking -- "we don't need ANY bugs in NYC!!"

Not to mention, Sumrithrin is an endocrine disruptor.  For adult men, it is like inhaling estrogen.  That would explain a lot about NYC's culture maybe?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 05:28:35 AM »

Not to mention, Sumrithrin is an endocrine disruptor.  For adult men, it is like inhaling estrogen.  That would explain a lot about NYC's culture maybe?

laughingdp   laughingdp 

mitt

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 06:48:48 AM »

It's funny how topics change course on here.

A 2-liter bottle cut up like that with a dose of sugary liquids a great yellow jacket trap.  That trick with the yeast to make CO2 to attract the Mosquitos is pretty reakin' brilliant.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: