Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:00:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DFM Booze Review Thread  (Read 6146 times)
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« on: May 09, 2008, 06:00:39 PM »

There are about 11ty billion types of booze out there and, lets face it, not all of it is good. In the interest of keeping my fellow DMFers from having to quaff sub-par libations I've decided that we could use a thread specifically for the review of new and different types of beverages.

What prompted this? Simple. The local beer wholesaler was having a special on Hook & Ladder Brewing Co's Golden Ale, so I bought a case. Or 3. If you're from Maryland, where this stuff is brewed, it may be a local favorite, but up in Maine, I'd never seen the stuff. It would have been nice to hear about its qualities from someone besides their marketing department. With that in mind, here's my review:

Hook & Ladder Golden Ale   

www.hookandladderbeer.com

First impression: A decent, solid, American-style beer. Almost reminds me of a pale ale, ala Gritty McDuff's Pub Style or Boddingtons, but without the bitter notes. Not over-filling at all.

Imagine drinking a Budweiser that wasn't cut with rice. Thats kinda how I think this stuff goes down. Its got a great "beer" flavor, but it finishes clean. I could see myself drinking this all afternoon while watching MotoGP. Or hosting a beer pong tournament, it drinks that easy. I couldn't find an alcohol content listed, but it seems about average. I'm guessing 4.5%? Anybody know? Good amber color, a bit heavy on the carbonation, pours up quite a head in the ol' frosty mug.

Not an overly complex beer. Nothings going to jump out at you except the flavor of malted barley, which is fine, and they did a good job with it. I'd drink this at a bar or bring a sixer to share at a barbecue.

Rating: 3 cheersing smileys out of 4.  be:: be:: be::

*Interesting side note. Did some reading on their website and these guys donate a (small) portion of their proceeds to burn centers wherever their beer is sold. I just contributed to the Maine Medical Center Burn Center. Wonder if that's tax deductible?  Grin

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:17:54 PM »

I spent a year in Bawlimer.  Being from the PNW I found the local brews to be lacking and totally understood why PBR was alive and kicking back there (no offense to any loyalists).  Having said that- I never heard of no Hook and Ladder but that was oh... 8-9 years ago.  I'll keep an eye out for it in bottles now that I'm back home in the land of moss and mildew.

With summer coming on this is a great idea for a thread.  There seem to be more occassions to drink beer during summer and some tips on what's hot and what's not are always good.  I'd also like to see some ciders reviewed if anyone has any good ones in mind.  I've always loved a good cider and on my recent trip to Ireland I had some outstanding ciders but can't remember the names of them (there's a good reason for that). 

I tip my glass to you TT- Jack and Coke tonight.  Slainte! (<-favorite toast other than the french kind with bacon on the side)

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »

Tortuga Rum

spectacular  wt:

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:35:03 PM »

I've been enjoying Lucid Absinthe lately. Not quite as good as some of the best French or Swiss absinthe, but the distiller is one of the better French absintheurs (Lucid is produced specifically for the US market). I don't have a fontaine yet, but do use absinthe spoons, sugar cubes, etc. I think a separatory funnel in a ring stand would probably be a cool stand-in for a fontaine and hope to try this soon.

Don't get all caught up either worrying about thujone or thinking that it will induce some sort of mental state unobtainable otherwise. If you want to see the effect of lots of thujone, eat a bunch of sage. See? Boring. Although it's the source of some controversy, there's decent evidence that historical absinthes had thujone levels comparable to current EU limits.

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »

There's a kid down the street named 'Sage'.  I don't think he'd appreciate that experiment.   ;:|

I've always thought that absinthe was like some opium laced, liquid crack that Sherlock Holmes was addicted to allowing him to connect wildly impossible clues to seemingly obvious resolution of malignant happenstance.  Tell me more if you would please.  What's it look, smell, feel, sound(?), taste like?

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
Buckethead

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:48:11 PM »

Tortuga Rum

If you enjoy a good rum (and who doesn't?) might I suggest:

I can't speak for the Ron Vicaro (yet), but both Sailor Jerry and Gosling's Black Seal are spectacular.

I recommend the Sailor for mixing and the Black Seal for when you want a bit of variety.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
cyrus buelton

aka JuddDDDdd

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »

There's a kid down the street named 'Sage'.  I don't think he'd appreciate that experiment.   ;:|

I've always thought that absinthe was like some opium laced, liquid crack that Sherlock Holmes was addicted to allowing him to connect wildly impossible clues to seemingly obvious resolution of malignant happenstance.  Tell me more if you would please.  What's it look, smell, feel, sound(?), taste like?

Absinthe is the biggest misconception.

There is no scientific evidence it produces any of those effects.

Straight up...........it tastes like shit.

You need the special spoon......coat it with sugar.......carmelize it with a lighter......poor the absinthe over it into a shot glass......and drink.

still isnt good, in my opinion

No Longer the most hated DMF Member.

By joining others Hate Clubs, it boosts my self-esteem.

1999 M750 (joint ownership)
2004 S4r (mineeee)
2008 KLR650 (wifey's bike, but I steal it)
Buckethead

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 08:03:26 PM »

Think of green-tinted Ouzo. Then add some extra anise.

With enough sugar its not horrible. Its not what I'd call good, either.

And yeah, most of the really good side effects of anise came from the opiates that people added. Watch "From Hell" with Johnny Depp and Heather Graham.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »

I like the taste of absinthe.  Right now I am enjoying some Laphroaigh, nice and peaty.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:26:53 AM by howie » Logged
RogueMnstr

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »

I'm all about a high quality to low dollar ratio. In that vein, I have to recommend Kutskova vodka, and Cruzan 2-year old Estate Dark Rum. For about $12 a fifth, they're far better quality (esp. the Kutskova) than their price would indicate.

If splurging, I've developed tastes for Pyrat rum (good for mixed cocktails, like rum Cosmos - almost eveyone I've served them to loves em!), and Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon. The Pyrat is very complex, and almost smoky. Some have said they didn't appreciate their rum being so 'different', but it's definitely interesting in a good way, I think.
ADG

'06 KTM 560 SMR. Blacked out - plated - fast.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:46:47 PM »

Andy.

Good to see you here.  be::
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 09:13:36 PM »

Oh, Zooom has to post the recipe for baby batter.  Soooo yummy.

Favorite beer is Leffe.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
Buckethead

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 09:24:40 PM »

Favorite beer is Leffe.

Tell me about this Leffe. What type of beer is it? Where does it come from? What does it pair well with?

Sorry, just trying to get the thread back into an objective/review mode.

Buckethead

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »

I'm all about a high quality to low dollar ratio.

Agreed. That's why I'm pleasantly surprised that the H&L is so drinkable.

Including deposit, they were about $0.60/bottle.

wana696

Marriage isn't so bad when it's to her :)

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 10:29:32 PM »

To those who enjoy a nice speyside single malt:

Glenrothes Select Reserve

Great price for the quality of product. Runs between $38-$48.

Taste: the label states- Ripe fruits, citrus, vanilla, hints of spice.
          Couldn't put it better myself. you really taste the vanilla side and it ends so smoothly

This is my favorite everyday scotch. I usually alternate between this and Johnny Walker Green Label. another really scotch

695 DARK 696: only time will tell which one will be mine.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: