Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 10:37:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tech day at the Pompettaphile garage: Saturday, 10/18  (Read 1575 times)
Jobu

« on: October 16, 2008, 11:06:31 PM »

I am headed over to Dave's place Saturday morning for a valve service.  Shultz just received some professional guidance with his valve job, so I figured I would pick his brain while the info is still fresh.

I think Rameses is coming over to.  We will be starting around 10 AM and it will probably be a lengthy procedure (hopefully it'll go a little better than my last tire change  bang head).

Even if you don't need have any maintenance or mods to do, feel free to stop by and listen to me make up some new words. 

(@  )( @ )
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:22:52 AM »

I am headed over to Dave's place Saturday morning for a valve service.  Shultz just received some professional guidance with his valve job, so I figured I would pick his brain while the info is still fresh.

I think Rameses is coming over to.  We will be starting around 10 AM and it will probably be a lengthy procedure (hopefully it'll go a little better than my last tire change  bang head).

Even if you don't need have any maintenance or mods to do, feel free to stop by and listen to me make up some new words. 

After putting in a set of keepers, I've decided that the Marquis de Sade invented the Desmo valve train.   laughingdp  Man, I used some words that would make my grandfather proud!!   laughingdp 

My service took about 6 hours, and I sanded one opening shim, and adjusted a closing shim just by inserting new keepers.  The job itself isn't too bad, but rather tedious.  You must remove the seat, tank, battery, airbox, diconnect the throttle cable, lower the oil cooler and radiator, swing the battery tray aside, and raise/swing aside the throttle bodies -- so plan on taking your time. 

Two-valve bikes should be a lot less work, so I'll be interested in seeing how it goes with your bike.  If you have time, you might want to give it a good cleaning -- especially the engine -- before coming over.

I'd also recommend new valve cover gaskets (just in case), and new rocker cover gaskets.  Barnett's had all these in stock (and the keepers) for my bike.

Oh, and I finally got to use my bearing puller.  It worked fine to loosen the rocker pin so the cams could be removed.  Next time, I'm going to get the pulley lock to keep the cam pulleys in place while fitting the belts (it's only $40 from Desmotimes), and a shim insert that makes measuring closing shims easier (because they have a recess).  I did just order a digital micrometer, accurate to 0.0001".
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:33:06 AM by pompetta » Logged

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
superjohn

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 03:52:50 AM »

I think I can probably make this one and I have turn signals to put on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: