Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 14, 2024, 11:36:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does everyone go to get new tires in the twin cities?  (Read 5165 times)
DucatiRider_MN

'07 Black S4rs

« on: May 09, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »

My monster needs some new tires. I have pilot powers which i have been happy with. My 7500 mile service due in 1k miles  and was thinking of getting it done at the same time.

I have gotten three phone quotes for new tires.  Two shops were 200 rear / 150 front while the other shop was 163 rear / 115 front. The shop that had the lowest prices wanted 140 to install on the bike, the other shops were 100 and 120 for install. I may out of touch with reality, but new rubber seems really expensive.

Does this seem fair or is there someplace i should be going to that i dont know about?  I know I can get your tires online reasonably cheap, but i also dont like the concept of bringing eggs to denny's if i can get them at a fair price locally.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:59:32 PM by DucatiRider_MN » Logged
fasterblkduc

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 05:42:24 AM »

You can usually get a better deal by taking off your wheels and taking them in. I would call around about that. I used to go to Manley Cycle but now that Tom is gone, I'm not sure who would give the best deal. He would charge $40 if you brought in your wheels.
Doesn't Dennis Kirk do free mounting and balancing now if you purchase theirs? Seems like I heard that recently but I'm not sure....anyone? If that's the deal then it would be worth it to drive your wheels up there.

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
Desmo Elmer

"Maybe not so...."

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 01:54:01 PM »

It's been a while, but I seem to remember Silverback mounting and balancing for about 25 bucks a wheel if they were off the bike. Don't quote me on that but I'd give them a call.

If you got 7,500 miles out of a set of Pilot Powers ( how'd ya do THAT?, 3-4,000 max. for me) the frequency at which you'd need the stuff may make the following irrelevant but anywhooo...

I didn't mind paying 40-50 bucks a wheel for mounting and balancing, techs gotta eat too,  but the time involved in driving the wheels back and forth got old. Plus now with the dirt bikes and ice bike I broke down and bought a cheapo tire changer from Harbor Freight for 100 bucks and a balancer.

There are cheaper ways to get by too:

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

http://www.xs11.com/faq/tirefaq.shtml

I think I paid about 230 bucks for my last set of Conti Road Attacks (very nice BTW) from Competition Accessories. Takes me about an hour to change and balance 2 tires...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:01:56 PM by Desmo Elmer » Logged

Ross

'04 M800 (R.I.P. Whitey)
'06 S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 S2r 1000 rubber still down
'05 GasGas MC 250 watch it or she'll loop on ya
'91 Husky 610wxe "paintshaker"
DucatiRider_MN

'07 Black S4rs

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:38:58 PM »

If you got 7,500 miles out of a set of Pilot Powers ( how'd ya do THAT?, 3-4,000 max. for me) the frequency at which you'd need the stuff may make the following irrelevant but anywhooo...

I didn't mind paying 40-50 bucks a wheel for mounting and balancing, techs gotta eat too,  but the time involved in driving the wheels back and forth got old. Plus now with the dirt bikes and ice bike I broke down and bought a cheapo tire changer from Harbor Freight for 100 bucks and a balancer.

I have about 6500 miles on the tires and they are past the wear indicators and very squared off (damn mn terrain).  I too am surprised by how long they lasted. My previous bike had half as much torque and i needed new tires around 5k. I will probably just get tires done where i get my 7.5k service done. I still cant decide on that.

You wont see me changing my own tires any time soon. For the frequency of me needing to do it, i would rather have the piece of mind of someone experienced doing the work.
atomic410

steel horse i ride

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »

I have a set of take off PP 180 rear that I would take $100 for.  May be able to save some $ that way.  PM me if intrested, otherwise I buy alot of tires from sportbike track time.  shipping is free and the tires are way cheep.  midwest puts them on for 30 a wheel if you bring in the wheels and your own tires.  I know that they have generally good prices on tires.  So try them.  Here is a heads up;  go on weekdays and they will instal as you wait, weekends are a zoo there.

Team Atomic Racing  Check us out @  www.teamatomicracing.com
Thanks to my 2011 sponsors;
Motorex, Vortex Racing, Sidi Racing, Studio 299, Dunlop, Motoprimo, Caztek, On Track 4 Him, Fix Studio
2009 Framstad Cup winner
2009, 10, & 11 CRA 5 hour endurance race winner
CRA Expert #2
ZARS track school instructor
Sgt_H

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »

I have a set of take off PP 180 rear that I would take $100 for.  May be able to save some $ that way.  PM me if intrested, otherwise I buy alot of tires from sportbike track time.  shipping is free and the tires are way cheep.  midwest puts them on for 30 a wheel if you bring in the wheels and your own tires.  I know that they have generally good prices on tires.  So try them.  Here is a heads up;  go on weekdays and they will instal as you wait, weekends are a zoo there.

Does anyone have an update on who's doing tires? 

I picked up a nail in my rear tire yesterday  Sad  It was a slow leak so I managed to get to a gas station and limp home.  Took me a while to figure out why the rear felt funny  Embarrassed  I can get to a shop on Friday but I need to buy a tire there because I don't have time to order one before then and, of course, I'd really like to get this done before the weekend. 

Thanks

EDIT:  I'm not familiar with Midwest, do you have a number for them?  The only place I've had anything done is Silverback but I'm thinking they don't sell tires.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:38:12 PM by Sgt_H » Logged

Sgt_H
Banned
Desmo Elmer

"Maybe not so...."

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 04:17:34 AM »

Midwest   612-825-9774  If you call ahead and don't go on Sat. am they will mount them while you wait.

Silverback does sell tires. In the past they didn't stock them but could get them quickly... by tomorrow might be a stretch...  They may stock a few now. Worth a call.

Ross

'04 M800 (R.I.P. Whitey)
'06 S2r 1000 R.I.P
tonyj311

Lets Ride

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 05:44:17 AM »

Midwest   612-825-9774  If you call ahead and don't go on Sat. am they will mount them while you wait.

Silverback does sell tires. In the past they didn't stock them but could get them quickly... by tomorrow might be a stretch...  They may stock a few now. Worth a call.

Let me know where you decide to go. I decided to keep my bike and need to get new tires and a chain. I am in Andover so the closest place I am thinking would be Silverback. Delano and Lakeville would be at least an hour ride for me- and I have steel belts showing on the rear now.
Sorry to kinda thread jack here- but Silverback seems to be the consensus for service. Is that right? If you dont want to post an opinion, please PM me. I used to go to Manley before I moved to TX.
-TONY

'02 M620
atomic410

steel horse i ride

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:18:03 AM »

If my tire was in that state I would go to the closest place possible and just bite the bullet and pay whatever it took to get it more road worthy.  Sounds like DSC and Moon motorsports in montecello are your closest options.  Moon is huge i bet they have what you want and if you call ahead maybe they can do it while you wait.  My 2 cent. bacon

Team Atomic Racing  Check us out @  www.teamatomicracing.com
Thanks to my 2011 sponsors;
Motorex, Vortex Racing, Sidi Racing, Studio 299, Dunlop, Motoprimo, Caztek, On Track 4 Him, Fix Studio
2009 Framstad Cup winner
2009, 10, & 11 CRA 5 hour endurance race winner
CRA Expert #2
ZARS track school instructor
Desmo Elmer

"Maybe not so...."

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 09:39:23 AM »

If my tire was in that state I would go to the closest place possible and just bite the bullet and pay whatever it took to get it more road worthy.  Sounds like DSC and Moon motorsports in montecello are your closest options.  Moon is huge i bet they have what you want and if you call ahead maybe they can do it while you wait.  My 2 cent. bacon

I had Moon mount some tires when they were still in the old shop. It was close for me when I was out in Hanover. They did not have the proper "cones" for their balancer so they couldn't balance my Duc wheels. I'd call to make sure they're set up to balance your wheels before I headed for Moon.

Anyone ever hear of Blue Cat Motors? I was looking at a studio space in the same building and saw a pile of take offs outside the shop. I assume they do tires. They sure have a huge inventory of scooters and "vintage" bikes in the warehouse...

Ross

'04 M800 (R.I.P. Whitey)
'06 S2r 1000 R.I.P
Cookie Monster

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:58:06 PM »

SLXI just put new tires on my M750.

Link to rates and phone number here:
http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31688&st=0&p=534498&#entry534498

-Cookie

97 Ducati Monster 750
06 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple (sexiest bike ever)
Sgt_H

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »

I just got back from having a spankin new tire put on at Midwest.  Silverback does tires but they have to order them and it takes a couple days.  The guy I talked to (not Fred) offered to sell me a take off but it sounded like he wanted to charge me full price.  He said it was new but it was a Pilot Road and I don't think the profile would match the M3 I still have on the front.  Midwest didn't have M3's in my size either, but I got a BT016 triple comp, which I wanted to try anyway.  I got there at 6 and I was walking out the door not later than 6:45.  Simple as can be.

Zero complaints from me about Midwest. 

Sorry to kinda thread jack here- but Silverback seems to be the consensus for service. Is that right? If you dont want to post an opinion, please PM me. I used to go to Manley before I moved to TX.
-TONY

I have never heard a bad thing about Silverback regarding their service.  I have nothing but good things to say about them.  The customer service is great.  I have a relatively crappy 750 and I'm obviously not a high dollar customer, but I've never been treated that way.  Their prices are very reasonable and the quality of work is excellent.  From what I hear Fred and Tom Manley are both exceptional Ducati tuners.

Sgt_H
Banned
tonyj311

Lets Ride

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 05:17:32 AM »

I found the Hitching Post right down the road from my house. I am going to try them for tires tonight (unless anyone can tell me why I shouldnt go there).

Once I get this thing up and running, we need to do a group ride.

'02 M620
Bigbore4

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 07:24:58 PM »

I found the Hitching Post right down the road from my house. I am going to try them for tires tonight (unless anyone can tell me why I shouldnt go there).

Once I get this thing up and running, we need to do a group ride.

Buy em wherever makes you happy.  Motorcycle pro shop and sw moto tires (dot com) are 2 places that
rock!.  Son and I have used both and liked em!

Bring a jug o' Makers Mark and some wheel weights, and I can assist with mount
and balance.  I have a No Mar and all the goodies.

Live in Andover, you know where...

Give a shout, 612-618-1357.  Busy on the 16th with a family party.

Dave
96 M900         05 FJR         86 SRX6        
And a brand new Super Tenere coming in no one knows
tonyj311

Lets Ride

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 06:05:47 AM »

Buy em wherever makes you happy.  Motorcycle pro shop and sw moto tires (dot com) are 2 places that
rock!.  Son and I have used both and liked em!

Bring a jug o' Makers Mark and some wheel weights, and I can assist with mount
and balance.  I have a No Mar and all the goodies.

Live in Andover, you know where...

Give a shout, 612-618-1357.  Busy on the 16th with a family party.

Thanks for the offer Dave. Looks like you have a pretty nice shop behind your house. The bike will be ready on Thursday so maybe I will ride by this weekend and see if you are around. I have a bottle of Evan Williams at the house that needs an excuse to be consumed.
-Tony

'02 M620
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: