Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 09, 2024, 02:18:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 696 good first bike? (and other newbie questions)  (Read 17029 times)
zedsaid

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »

On the question of if its "too much" big for a beginner -- everyone has an opinion, but I don't think its too much.  Obviously I'm a bit biased since this is my first bike, but I've never felt that I was behind the bike at all or that it has gotten away from me.  There is plenty of power there, but it is very predictable. 

+11ty billion

Red 696- You can call her Isabella.
Jetbrett

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »

I bought a m695 as my first bike for the same reason you are considering the m696.  I was (and still am) in love with the look of the bike.  It was not a rational purchase.  I didn't need a bike and as a noob, a SV 650 would have been the much wiser choice.  The problem was that the SV 650 just didn't move me like my Duc did.

After finishing the MSF course, I hopped on my "shinny" its a dark model new bike and rode off with my wife (also a noob) following on her Boulevard C50T.   At the end of the ride, I was coming to a stop....looked back at my wife....hit gravel...and of course down I went.   The result was a busted shift lever, bent up front wheel nut, and scratched exhaust can. 

Fast forward several months.   I'm much more confident and riding with a buddy on a great road with tons of hairpins.  I hit a hard to see dip at the apex of a 15mph left, lost my line, fixated on the ditch rushing at me, and rode right in.  The result was some small scratches on the front mud guard, a bent handle bar from my leg hitting it as I went over, and more scratches on my exhaust. 

I've fixed the shift lever (obviously) and the handlebar, buffed out most of the scratches, and replaced my stock exhaust with high mount Termi's.  Going into it I felt pretty confident in my ability to handle a bike.  I'm 40, been around for a while, raced cars on the road course and drag strip, and played football in college and arena ball.  I consider myself pretty coordinated and level headed.  My point is, you will probably have some sort of mishap.  I'm not saying "don't buy the 696".  If I had to do it all over again, I would still have gotten my 695.  Just go into it with the realization that things can and do go wrong and replacing parts on a monster is not as cheap as replacing them on a SV 650.   Oh yea....and always wear your gear.   waytogo

M695 Dark
sbrguy

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »

if you have the money to buy it, buy it, if you don't then just finance it.

yuou will learn about the costs of buyign ducati parts in the process and how they may cost more than otehr brands, that is part of owning a ducati.

if you have the money to buy new, buy it.  but dont' complain later that it costs so much to replace a small cosmetic part, that is the deal.  people suggest a cheaper bike at first just to get over the initial learning of riding if you have never ridden before.  most early drops come from parking lot speeds from an off camber road, or just a mental lapse, that is why people sya get a cheap bike first so that you dont spend money on fixing it,  but again if you have the money to spare then you are ok, get a new bike.
Rambler1982

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the responses. This site is great!!

I've read everyone's posts (and done plenty of additional research), and purchased the 696. I'm ready to incur whatever costs are associated with it... whether it's from a drop or replacement parts.

I've found a great dealership in Chicago. They're the primary Ducati dealership here, and have gotten good reviews on their service.

I also think I pretty good deal- $9,200 OTD and 60% off a Joe Rocket jacket. When we were done negotiating, the dealer said to me, "Do you want my first born, too?!?" Hahaha   Cheesy

I sat on the bike in the shop and it felt great, extremely comfortable! But what about for long rides? I have a friend who lives about 3 hours away, and I'd like to visit him at some point. Is the bike appropriate for long trips like that?

Also (and this might be crazy), but I read somewhere that the Monster has a stigma as being a "girl's bike." Is that true???

I'm 5'10" 165lbs... it didn't seem like the bike was too small for me.

Regardless, I'm SUPER excited!! Thanks, again, for all your feedback Smiley
jdubbs32584
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »

Also (and this might be crazy), but I read somewhere that the Monster has a stigma as being a "girl's bike." Is that true???

Ok, this ^^^^ is stupid. There is no such thing as a "girl bike". There are women riders but bikes are bikes. That's insulting to us women who ride because it implies that "girl bikes" are wimpier and less of a bike than manly men bikes.

If they're talking about the size of the bike then I still don't get it. The bikes aren't small bikes and they aren't Busas either; seat height is right around 31 inches (CBR series is right around 31-32 if I remember correctly). The fairings make the Jap bikes look bigger I guess but still.... Undecided

Good luck with your new 696. Don't forget to check out your local club, I believe its called Mocha. You'll find it under the Local section on the left side of this page.

Edit: this is not meant to be pregnant dogy at you, just at people who categorize bikes as "girl bikes" or "manly bikes".
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:16:44 PM by JBubble » Logged
Rambler1982

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 07:20:32 PM »

Ok, this ^^^^ is stupid. There is no such thing as a "girl bike". There are women riders but bikes are bikes. That's insulting to us women who ride because it implies that "girl bikes" are wimpier and less of a bike than manly men bikes....Edit: this is not meant to be pregnant dogy at you, just at people who categorize bikes as "girl bikes" or "manly bikes".

Like I said, it's probably crazy, and I didn't buy into it. I was merely passing along what I had read...
jdubbs32584
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 07:21:50 PM »

Like I said, it's probably crazy, and I didn't buy into it. I was merely passing along what I had read...

Wasn't directed at you hon.  waytogo

Got any pics of that bike yet?
zLoki

Why yes, it is dangerous

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 07:25:19 PM »

+1 Jbubble.  Bike are bikes and like ships and planes they are all girls.  Like girls, no matter how small or nice they may seem, if you mess with them and break their heart, they will kill you.  Wink

The M696 was my first bike.  2500 miles in two months, I have no regrets.  Yes I did drop it because I forgot the stand.  No damage since I was sitting on the bike at the time.

I've done two hour rides pretty often, I have the stock seat and it's OK.  I image a three hour ride would be about the same.  Just work your way up to that amount of time. 

Enjoy your new ride and remember to start off slow - it took me three days to leave the parking lot.  Just wanted to be comfortable with the power before hitting the street.  If you have any doubts, jump on a bicycle and ride out in traffic.  The feeling is the same and some of the actions, like counter-steering are also the same, just much slower.  Getting comfortable at 80mph with cars and trucks surrounding you takes a bit but if you've got some bicycle experience, you'll find it pretty easy.

Mostly stock '12 796
Sold - '09 696 with 30,000 miles
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »

I'm wondering why people keep talking about dropping their bikes.  Do you drop them going into corners too hot and lay it down or do you forget to put a leg down when coming to a stop?  Just wondering why everyone says you should stay away from a new/expensive bike because you're going to drop it.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=3151.0

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Blake

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 09:38:43 PM »

Good on ya MsIncredible.  Personally, I'm trying to cut down on #88 myself, I'd gone sidesaddle due to the greater freedom of movement and just don't feel I can hang corners as well. 
I guess what I was trying to convey is that you should get the bike that will make you want to ride.  Get a bike that doesn't fit your eye just right and you won't feel as attached or inclined to ride it as much.  You'll always wish you had bought what you really wanted.  Yes, as has been pointed out quite well here, all types of riders put their bikes down for various reasons, but I bought my first bike because it suited what I was looking for, not because I was afraid I was going to drop it.  I think someone on this list.....maybe....wrote one time that if you think about crashing, you'll crash, if you think you're always going to drop your bike you probably will at some point.  Think positive and think you're going to stay shiny side up and you'll be much more prone to do so.  Anywho, enjoy your new bike, be safe and don't ever, ever ride sidesaddle.   waytogo

Later
StandTall

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »

Greetings!  I plan on buying my first motorcycle in the next month, and have been doing some research and asking as many questions as I can. I'm still so new to the motorcycle world.

Initially, my interest was in the Kawasaki Ninja 650. However, I just came across the Ducati Monster 696. WOW! What a sweet looking bike.

1) Would this be inappropriate for an entry level bike? I don't have any riding experience, but I did just take the MSF course this weekend.

2) I'm really in love with the looks of the 696, and I've heard that it performs well, too. However, I've read that the exhaust gets EXTREMELY hot for the passenger, and makes it difficult to carry a passenger. Is that true?

3) What is a reasonable (or typical) OTD price on an '09 Monster 696?

4) Iis there anything a newbie should know about the 696? ANY suggestions or advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help Smiley

If you took the MSF, the bike is fine. It's my first also and the only thing I can suggest is watch the throttle! The monster is quick and the throttle is nothing like the bikes I trained on at the MSF. Also realize the friction point is way out towards the end. Other than that it's a great bike for a newbie(like me)and I wholly recommend it, as long as you take the MSF. I've had a few friends and saw several videos on youtube that show people learning from friends on sports bikes and they almost always wreck the bike because they were not taught how to ride a bike at all.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: