Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:43:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sportbike Jacket Length  (Read 5312 times)
DucatiRider_MN

'07 Black S4rs

« on: May 09, 2008, 09:44:16 PM »

I recently purchased a used vanson mark II cobra jacket from ebay, size 44. I currently have an A* jacket size 46 that i believe is one size too big.

The vanson fits my arm length and chest nicely. I am slightly concerned with the length of the jacket, it seems really short. I have read other places that vanson jackets are typically cut shorter than the next manufacturer, is this true? When the jacket doesnt have the shoulder/back armor installed it just barely covers my belt, and this is when my jeans are pulled up higher than normal. With the armor installed, the jacket doesnt make it to my belt line. When i am on the bike in the riding position the jacket does cover my belt.

Does anyone know if this is considered a normal fit for a vanson jacket, or if i would benefit from going up one size. 
Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »

I think that might be normal... The Mark II is designed to be worn while you are crouched over the bike, and the most frusterating thing is when that thick leather gets all bunched up in front of you because it's too long.

I have a Ducati Old Times jacket, which is a standard Dainese fit, and it rests with about half my belt showing when I stand up straight. I almost wish it were shorter.

I'm not sure how old you are, so maybe you don't know this, but most nice jeans these days have pretty fancy pockets and beltlines anyway. It's a shame to wear a long coat that covers that stuff up.

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting half-open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded), CRG clutch/brake levers.
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 05:44:17 PM »

Everybodys' bodies are different . 2 people of the same height may have totally different torso lengths. Jeans are different.,some are cut to be worn low on your hips and others are made to be worn at your waist. While riding I wouldn't be too concerned where the jacket bottom rests unless it's a major problem . If you are more concerned about how it fits or looks while wearing it off the bike then that's a whole different story. I wear a EU 60- US 50 and I buy pretty much Dainese or Ducati ( Dainese) and the sleeves come down to the middle of my hands and the bottoms come down below my beltline standing w/ armor in and on the bike I wear full Gauntlet gloves so it doesn't matter and the bottom still comes down to my beltline with Dainese leather pants. If you are not happy with the Vanson try Dainese or Ducati.

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 10:44:51 AM »

I have an older Vanson Sport Rider jacket, and the waist is cut pretty short; it covers leather or textile pants that have a relatively high waist, but would just touch the top of a normal pair of jeans when I'm standing up.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Alex

2000 M900ie

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:35 PM »

Ya, I wouldn't worry about the torso length, but arm length is important. Jackets (both suit jackets and moto jackets, actually) should come to about halfway between wrist and knuckle on your hand, when standing straight. Or that's what I've been told at least.

Unfortunately, most jackets, (including dainese for me) do not have long enough arms for me. It's frusterating!

Aftermarket: RoadRacing modified under-engine exhaust, revalved 996 forks, ProCutting half-open clutch, CC triple and pressure plate, 999 clipons, BMC filter, CRG-LS mirrors, PC3, Rizoma rearsets, heated grips, +2 teeth in rear gearing, Veypor VR2 computer, MBP collets, Yoyodyne slave, Galfer waves front and rear, misc CF (mostly faded), CRG clutch/brake levers.
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »

I sold Vanson leathers years, and found that they generally cut their jackets short in front so that they wouldn't bunch up when sitting on a motorcycle.  If a jacket is its normal length, when used on a motorcycle it will tend to bunch up and fill with air and balloon up while you're riding.  Any jacket that's properly made for motorcycle use takes this into account and will seem a bit short because of it.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: