Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 02:53:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: clutch fluid level  (Read 7330 times)
yellowjacket

« on: May 10, 2008, 10:54:50 AM »

I can't tell the fluid level, I opened the lid and there were some fluid but definitely not full, it is normal?

03 M800S IE- my first ever bike.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »

With the lid on you can't really use the sight glass shown in your photo - that's pretty normal.  With the lid off, you should be able to see the fluid level via the glass, or simply just looking into the reservoir.  You want enough fluid where it's above the min mark, but not so much that it'll spill out when you replace the lid and it's rubber gasket.  Half way up the res wall it's probably a good rule of thumb.

I see that this is you first bike - a little word of warning.  Brake fluid is nasty and you DO NOT want to get it on paint or clear plastics.  If you do get it on there, clean it off ASAP with water and a rag.  To that end - DO NOT squeeze the clutch lever (or brake) if you have the reservoir lid off.  They have a nasty habit of shooting fluid into the air and getting it on stuff you don't want it on.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
yellowjacket

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 11:38:11 AM »

good to know, thanks again!

03 M800S IE- my first ever bike.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »

Do not overfill, the fluid will expand when hot.
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 01:50:11 PM »

I like to put a wet towel underneath the handlebars when working with brake/clutch fluid. and have another one ready in case it misses the towel  waytogo

If it spills a little and you are quick to wipe it off with water, it shouldn't damage anything, but if you have to go in the house find a towel, wet it, then get back it maybe to late.  Wink

I've also made the rookie/not paying attention mistake of pumping the lever without cover, shooting a stream up in the air. Life becomes slow mo when that happens

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
duc996

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:03:07 AM »

I put newspaper around the handlebar.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Smiling End

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:03:26 AM »

I just bought new reservoir caps from Ducati 1 because I did not follow yuu's advice. 

It seems to me that it's impossible to get enough in the reservoir without it spilling.  I guess I have enough (it does go above min) but as soon as I put the cap back on and start screwing it down it goes spilling out the side.  I assume it's just cuz I'm filling it too much though.

99 M750 Dark
supertjeduc

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:27:32 AM »

I like to put a wet towel underneath the handlebars when working with brake/clutch fluid. and have another one ready in case it misses the towel  waytogo

If it spills a little and you are quick to wipe it off with water, it shouldn't damage anything, but if you have to go in the house find a towel, wet it, then get back it maybe to late.  Wink

I've also made the rookie/not paying attention mistake of pumping the lever without cover, shooting a stream up in the air. Life becomes slow mo when that happens

I think this is a myth ,spiled lost of brake fluid and never seen do it something bad to the paint
hiero

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »

those windows are useless... pop top and check where the fluid's at on the inside of the window, and it doesn't take much to overfill for sure

I think this is a myth ,spiled lost of brake fluid and never seen do it something bad to the paint

it is definitely not a myth, but it's not an immediate reaction either.  You have time to remove brake fluid from a surface before it does permanent damage, but you really need to take care of it asap

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 10:15:12 AM »

It's no myth.  My clutch slave leaked and some fluid got to spend some time on my painted metal sprocket cover.  Bubbled up the paint, and I was able to just wipe it off to bare metal.  Also if you get it on some plastics - like your speedo lens it does nasty stuff fast.

I got a drop on the lens of my 620 and in a matter of seconds it cause 2 small cracks and hazed the plastic any place it touched. 

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Smiling End

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 10:16:28 AM »

It's definitely not a myth.  It ate all the paint off of the top of my clutch fluid reservoir cap. It wasn't instantaneous but it did it.

99 M750 Dark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: