Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:01:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Rattle or Not To Rattle?  (Read 6114 times)
vampireduc

« on: May 10, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »

OK, This is the deal.  I bought a 900ss about a month ago and have been in the take everything apart and clean it up stage.  I got a wild hair and decided to sand down the frame because the previous owner had it painted School bus yellow, with a metalic red tank, and everything was chipped and just not taken care of.  Well the frame is done. and I turned my attention to the tank today.  the left side of the tank was bondo'd all to hell.  Nothing that comprimises the integrity but...I was unaware, I have reason tobelieve the guy that I bought it rom was also.  He purschased the bike AS-was from his 'buddy'.  So the question now that I'm not furious anymore is.

Do I leave the 'personality' on the tank and just rattle-can it really nicely, or spend the duckets for a new tank?  I have already decided, when I bought the bike, to go nekkid with it.  So now I'm feeling a more upscale well working RAT-type cafe idea.  Anywho, when I replace the batteries in my camera I'll get pics up

-Tim
'

Of the good in you I can speak but not of evil.  For what is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst.

'97 M750...sold
'99 900ss...project, waiting on parts to finish the rebuild (sold)
'99 750ss...parts for the 900ss (sold)
'97 M750...again!
Ducatiloo

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »

It would depend after you rattle can it will you look at the bike and think "Ducati" if so then keep the tank.
BUT if you are going to look at the bike and think "bondo" every day, I would get a new tank.

But that's my train of thought, don't know what train your riding on Wink

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 01:32:12 PM »

Or......you could do the in between kinda thing .  A new tank is pretty pricey and rattle can jobs...well...they usually look like rattle can jobs.  Prime it.  Put on some spot putty.  Resand it with about 320 sandpaper and take it to a body shop to spray.  Ask them to use something like an acrylic enamel or an epoxy.  I doubt if it would cost you $75 to do and the paint will last a lot longer than rattle can stuff.  Then score a nice decal set.  All done!

Okay Ducpainter or Red Baron.  Go ahead and shoot me down.  My bodyshop skills are a little rusty. Undecided

edit:  I'm assuming you havent sanded the old bondo out of it yet?  If so you are also going to have to learn the fine art of bondo spreading.    cheeky
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:34:48 PM by PizzaMonster » Logged

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
vampireduc

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 04:21:30 PM »

The inbetween idea... is good.  I have sanded out all the bondo, to leave the tank in its beautiful patina condition. 

Loo,

I see what you mean.  I haven't thought of it that way.  hmmm...would I look at the bike and think Ducati?!  if I don't refix the dents. 

On that topic, anyone have a headlight they are looking to get rid of?  No, I haven't looked in the sale items yet...and Yes I will.

Of the good in you I can speak but not of evil.  For what is evil but good tortured by its own hunger and thirst.

'97 M750...sold
'97 M750...again!
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »

Or......you could do the in between kinda thing .  A new tank is pretty pricey and rattle can jobs...well...they usually look like rattle can jobs.  Prime it.  Put on some spot putty.  Resand it with about 320 sandpaper and take it to a body shop to spray.  Ask them to use something like an acrylic enamel or an epoxy.  I doubt if it would cost you $75 to do and the paint will last a lot longer than rattle can stuff.  Then score a nice decal set.  All done!

I think this is a decent idea if money is the issue.  Having both painted my own and had another bike painted by ducpainter you can definitely tell the difference when a master does the job, but you can do a reasonably decent job on your own.  I wouldn't suggest a rattle can but a good finisher can probably mask any mistakes you might make.  Best of luck and post up when you get finished.

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 10:17:51 AM »

If you get it painte by ducpainter, im pretty sure youd be satisfied with the outcome. but a new tank is always cool. you might even be able to clean off all the bondo and get the dent pulled out.

check out my rattle can job. you can get it done for about $100 bucks.

http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=681.0
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:19:49 AM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
vampireduc

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:39:44 AM »

He Man....ahha!  I've read this thread recently.  Your bike is what made me think that a do-it-myself job may be just fine, and would be good experience.  I dig the chance of trying myself.  Nothing says that if I srew it up I can't sand it back down and put ducpainter's kids through college.  BTW, where is dupainter located?  I'm in the SouthEast...NC.

'97 M750...sold
'97 M750...again!
red baron

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 12:08:01 PM »

Okay Ducpainter or Red Baron.  Go ahead and shoot me down.  My bodyshop skills are a little rusty. Undecided

edit:  I'm assuming you havent sanded the old bondo out of it yet?  If so you are also going to have to learn the fine art of bondo spreading.    cheeky

No shooting down, but to add. Discuss any "prep" with the shop/painter first.

Keep in mind "rattle cans" do not hold up well to fuel, brake fluid, etc.....

bondo done right will last a lifetime. repair the damage as best you can first, the fill in the rest.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 03:23:13 PM »

For a little more money you can have a very professional finish with a "rattle" can.

Pick up the phone book, or look online for a automotive paint and body shop distributer in your area. Go see them and ask them for a "spray bomb."

Basically a spray bomb is a professional rattle can that the distributer will inject the color of choice into. They should also have a clearcoat version which they can add a catalyst to to make it harden.

Make sure you wait until your ready to shoot the clear before you buy it. It will usually only be good for about a day before it hardens in the can and becomes unusuable.

At my local disdributer the spray bombs run around $15. This is a much better alternative than just using off the shelf spray paint.

Here is a pic of the last tank I did. It came out like glass.  waytogo

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
vampireduc

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »

well, ya'll just aren't close enough . 

Will Clearcoating a Rattle job protect it from fluids?

'97 M750...sold
'97 M750...again!
red baron

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »

compatability with the clearcoat is key.

again check with a painter.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »

well, ya'll just aren't close enough . 

Will Clearcoating a Rattle job protect it from fluids?

Not the regular off the shelf clear coat. You really need to get the stuff thats used for automotive use as I mentioned above.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
vampireduc

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 03:08:47 AM »

I should have the frame finished in the next couple days (getting in the cracks is tough)  My mission today is to find out how much sand blasting the rest of my frame would be.  I'll have pictures up this evening of my progress so far.

'97 M750...sold
'97 M750...again!
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »

Not the regular off the shelf clear coat. You really need to get the stuff thats used for automotive use as I mentioned above.

If you look at my thread, theres the choice of using an enamel based clear. That will be safe  against fluids. However its super tricky to spray and you cant sand out imperfections.
The spraybomb  monstermash mentioned is a great alternative. HOWEVER, cost effective? its questionable. youll need about 3 cans to finish the job.Thats 45 dollars. I had my tank professionally cleared for $60 bucks. So the price offset vs screwing up the final coat? it was worth it.

Clearcoat from spray cans is essentially a non colored spray painit. They are all acryllic sprays and if you look at my thread, the slightest bit of gasoline will destroy the tank. YOU NEED A 2 PART CLEAR COAT TO PROTECT AGAINST ALL FLUIDS.

Suprisingly the spray paint on my tank has held up great. I roe it all winter, left it parked in drenched rain, i leave it parked in the sun about 7 hours a day now. And the black is still dark. I painted the tank back in November. so its held up.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 10:24:42 AM »

The spraybomb  monstermash mentioned is a great alternative. HOWEVER, cost effective? its questionable. youll need about 3 cans to finish the job.Thats 45 dollars. I had my tank professionally cleared for $60 bucks. So the price offset vs screwing up the final coat? it was worth it.

Clearcoat from spray cans is essentially a non colored spray painit. They are all acryllic sprays and if you look at my thread, the slightest bit of gasoline will destroy the tank. YOU NEED A 2 PART CLEAR COAT TO PROTECT AGAINST ALL FLUIDS.

I used less than two cans to do the last tank I did.

As far as the two part clear that is what I was trying to convey when I mentioned the clear with the catalyst. It will not be affected by spilling fuel on it as it is basically the same stuff used in body shops just being shot out of a spray can rather than a HVLP gun.  waytogo

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: