Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:40:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DesmoTropic cycling thread...  (Read 25207 times)
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2010, 07:03:11 PM »

Woot! Looking forward to the Tinman this Sunday...hoping for another non-drowning episode...

Non-drowning?  I guess that's one way to go.

cheeky

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »

Wheels finally came today, though I still need, what are those called?   Tires! 

Oh, and my brake arms are a real stretch to reach the rims.  They are 49-57mm reach, and the frame calls for 57.    We'll see how it looks when I put tires on.

DRKWNG
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »

What wheels did you get?

I'm really wanting to put together a single speed (or internally geared) cross type bike to commute on...
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »

Trying an off brand - Neuvation Cycling.  It's essentially one dude who spent a couple of decades working in the industry, frequently in Taiwan.  He learned the bidness, and started to do bidness on his own.  Great prices, decent reviews, big ugly stickers (which I removed).  We'll see.

As for SS, this area really doesn't lend itself, though I do like the idea of an internal hub belt drive number for commuting.

DRKWNG
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2010, 08:58:21 AM »

I've heard lots of people say good things about Neuvation.  Never tried them myself though...

And no, Hawaii does not work well for single speeding.  DC seems to be a pretty decent spot though, as most of the area is pretty flat.  Well, as far as the commute goes anyhow, as I don't see myself trying to ride through Georgetown all that often.  Wink

I love the belt drive system that is making its way out now.  The only problem is that Trek was really quick at cornering the market and getting patents on everything... 
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »

There are still some great rear dropout designs that Trek doesn't own, and if they own the Gates belt itself, that's news to me.

I gave the bike a quick jaunt to see what needed adjusting.  The wheels were still round when I came home.  So far, so good.

DRKWNG
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »

Ok, so maybe everything was a bit strong of a word.   cheeky

From everything that I've heard though, they bought up enough patents to make it difficult for other companies to use the belt system without paying for it...
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »

Ok, so maybe everything was a bit strong of a word.   cheeky

From everything that I've heard though, they bought up enough patents to make it difficult for other companies to use the belt system without paying for it...

That's bidness, I suppose...

MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2010, 06:49:22 AM »

I'll be support crew tomorrow morning at 6:30 am.  Fifteen lap race around Norfolk. Glad I'm not pedaling in that one. Took second in that race in my class a few years ago and it's only gotten tougher while I've gotten softer.  laughingdp  Tomorrow is the first stage of a three stage race. Stage 2 is a time trial up Tantalus on Sunday morning with a criterium around Kakaako Park Sunday afternoon.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »

Tomorrow is the first stage of a three stage race. Stage 2 is a time trial up Tantalus on Sunday morning with a criterium around Kakaako Park Sunday afternoon.

Crazy talk! 
Xerxes1769

2012 Ducati 1199 Tri 1975 Yamaha YZ125

« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »

That is madness I can barely "climb" my gently sloping driveway without losing my breath...stupid hills   Embarrassed
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2010, 09:35:25 PM »

I can't exactly remember but it seems my best climb on Tantalus was either in the high 28's or the low 29's. I think the 29's and I was dying to get into the 28's.  The strong, fast guys run 21's to 23's. Everytime I'm on that hill I have running mixed memories of bicycles, motorcycles and cars.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2010, 02:38:40 AM »

Like I said, crazy talk!
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2010, 12:49:37 PM »

I'll be support crew tomorrow morning at 6:30 am.  Fifteen lap race around Norfolk.

How did things go this morning?...it was semi-wet here by the stadium...

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2011, 11:06:43 PM »

I am amazed every time I ride this guy at how fast it is (while remaining very comfy)

And how slow I am (comfy or otherwise)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: