Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 02:09:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 848 vs. 998 vs. RSV1000R Factory  (Read 2424 times)
Keshtak

« on: November 10, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this shootout.  I've found all three for around the same price, and just wondering everyone's opinion.

Shaun

mommys little monster

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 05:47:02 PM »

i have been thinking the same thing. i think it all depends on what you want to do with the bike and how much your willing to spend on it, with the ducatis you will have valve jobs and belts to deal with and unless you are able to do them your self they can get pretty pricey with the 4v, the ape you don't have to worry about that, they are all awesome bike but i think for the most bang for your buck you might want to look at the RSV it has some awesome parts on it stock, it still looks good, and not alot of people have them. the 998 is just a ( and i use this term loosely)  classic and will always look good. the 848 is a good bike but why not spend a little extra money and get a used 1098? all in all the ape would be a better bike since you can find them for really good prices. also have you looked at the tuono?

Smitch
Local Moderator

only thing whiter is my skin!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:51:11 PM »

I will ignorantly exclaim my belief that the 848 and 998 will be similar in performance.  At least, on paper they are.  I know nothing of RSV Factory.  Small dealer network, that's for sure.  I wanted a cherry 996 or 998, but went for the 848 instead because of its youth and better maintenance schedule.  Going new is more expensive, but for me it was worth it.  Used bikes, sometimes you just don't know how they were treated.
DrDesmo

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:03:32 PM »

848 is lighter, easier to ride, will hold its resale value better, and makes almost the same HP as the Factory FYI

Adam
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:06:38 PM by DrDesmosedici » Logged

'95 916
'12 800XC
Pasta

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 05:44:55 PM »

So let me take this one since I do own a RSV Factory. Ape braking far better, ease of riding? I throw it around like it's a jap 600....I weigh 154lbs. I have 18,000 mi and have never needed a valve job, no elec issues, as a matter of fact or Factory the only issue is needing to bleed the rear brake on occasion. If a garage bike is what you seek Ducs go well next to an HD, reliability APRILIA! If you want the Italian Kawasaki buy a 848 or a 1098, junk build quality and you all know it. 916, 996, 998 and if I had to a 999 but not the new crap. Sorry to those who own but those who know me know I'm not a new Duc fan.
flynbulldog

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:12:22 AM »

wow! and there you have it! Get the 998  Cool

More proof that one needs his own crap-O-meter if he seeks advice on the internet.  coffee
Smitch
Local Moderator

only thing whiter is my skin!

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »

So let me take this one since I do own a RSV Factory. Ape braking far better, ease of riding? I throw it around like it's a jap 600....I weigh 154lbs. I have 18,000 mi and have never needed a valve job, no elec issues, as a matter of fact or Factory the only issue is needing to bleed the rear brake on occasion. If a garage bike is what you seek Ducs go well next to an HD, reliability APRILIA! If you want the Italian Kawasaki buy a 848 or a 1098, junk build quality and you all know it. 916, 996, 998 and if I had to a 999 but not the new crap. Sorry to those who own but those who know me know I'm not a new Duc fan.

AHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHA!  Oh jeez, I needed that.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: