Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 03:11:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California Superbike School???  (Read 8595 times)
Clyde Frog

« on: May 10, 2008, 11:06:31 PM »

I'm looking at signing up for a session with Keith Codes School and was wondering .....

- Anyone whose been to one, how was the experience?

- This will be my first track experience. Is this a good introduction experience?

- Is it worth the price tag?

- Any other general first-time advice?

Thanks.

"It's okay, we'll still have some left for our pancakes"
sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:37:52 AM »

here you go, my mini-review from about a month ago:

Quote from: sqweak
(I think this is applicable here, but if not mods can feel free to move it to Riding Techniques)

Well, I think I can say that my track cherry has been sufficiently popped. Grin

For those who don't know me or my exhalted poser status (Wink), I've had some confidence issues after a 1-2-3 punch of a hiatus from riding, death of a friend, and some silly newbie wrecks. This led to me not really riding as much as I would like to and increased stress and self-pressure when I'm on a group ride in the twisties. gm2 has been encouraging me to get out to the track but I've always had a reason not to: work schedule, lack of leathers, etc. Finally this latest round of encouragement came from gm2 and when I made excuses he pointed out that CSS was coming up, was on a weekend, and would rent me a bike and leathers. Out of excuses, I decided to put my money where my mouth was and signed up waytogo

I battled a serious case of nerves and anxiety leading up to Saturday, but reading reviews on this board and talking more with gm2 and sexybill convinced me that it would be a low pressure environment more focused on skill improvement than track speeds. I didn't sleep much the night before and met up way too early in the morning with gm2 and steveg to carpool up to Streets of Willow @ Willow Springs. We made really good time and quickly went through the assembly line of signing in, leaving a deposit, getting group/gear/equipment/coach assignments and grabbin a quick bite of breakfast.

The first task of the day was to work on our throttle control, an area I'm absolutely horrible with in turns on the street, and it resulted in us doing a couple of single file orientation laps and then starting our first on track session with the instructions of 4th gear only and no brakes. I started out as a nervous wreck, thrown off by never being on a track or on an i4. The terror of coming out of a decreasing radius turn 2 and going down hill into a double apex turn 3 heading back uphill without being able to slow up led to an absolutely abysmal starting laptime of 2:47. I slowly started to warm up and had shaved nearly 20 seconds off by the end of the first session. Shocked

The classroom instruction was good (though I greatly prefer Keith over Dylan), but I got way more out of the on track coaching. My coach would give me things to work on independent of the individual lesson for the session, and was often giving me big thumbs up and head nods indicating my improvement of these areas while we did a lead-follow. After the first session, I was really having some problems with a 90 degree left hander with bumps all over the apex (turn 10) and asked my coach how to better handle it. He advised me that it appeared I was coming in too hot for my comfort zone and would be better served entering slower, getting the bike over and getting on the throttle soon to stabilize the bike before I hit the bumps.

Our next lesson was on turn in points and they had been marked for every turn on the track. We were allowed to use 3rd and 4th gear, but still no brakes. Both of these helped me tremendously and encouraged by them I started to get a bit more aggressive with the bike. After a few laps to get the tires warmed up, I found myself coming into turn 3 at a speed I was certain was much too hot for my ability. I decided to try flicking the bike in knowing that it would either stick or I'd hurtle off the track and likely end my day (CSS has a no crashing rule Undecided), but to my surprise it worked! This was the light bulb moment for me as I finally understood that the bike was capable of far more than I could imagine, and the day continued with edging up entry speeds and increasing lean angles. It would turn out that my "flick it" idea would be the next lesson, and I repeated this uncanny habit of trying something to help myself in a session only to go to the next class and find that was the assignment for our next session (after flick it was relax, and then two step turn-in and apex sighting).

My rider coach continued to help me identify and fix trouble spots on the course separate from the class's assigned lesson and with his help I became more consistent in my lines and my confident in my abilities. There were multiple times when I nailed a turn and grinned ear to ear as I realized I was doing it right. I am sure I was nowhere near even an amateur racer's level of correctly executing the turn, but I was hitting the basics of a settled and stable bike at a decent lean angle and it was a pretty damn cool feeling. I did turns at speeds and lean angles that I would have never believed to be possible for a 400lb bike and 250lb rider according to the laws of physics. Grin

In the last few sessions I had improved from being passed by practically everybody to the point that I was regularly passing the one or two other slow guys because my lines and speeds were better. I barely scratched the surface of the i4, not being used to the powerband I was severely short shifting well below it but I was content focusing on using the now available brakes as little as possible and maintaining my smoothness. I continued improving my lap times in each session and ended the day turning consistent times 40 seconds faster than my first lap. Shocked My coach closed out the day telling me how amazed he was that I was the same guy he'd followed being so timid during the first session. laughingdp

I really enjoyed the day and am eager to get some time out on my duc and see what and where I can safely apply my learnings. I'm not sure if I'm ready for level 2 yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be heading back and completing the entire curriculum as I get to where I think I'm prepared for each level. Being on the track is a whole other world and I can't lie: I've been eying track bikes & leathers and considering completely eliminating what little "sporting" street riding I currently do Wink

Addedum:
I bought a trackbike 2 weeks after class, and all my own gear.  I've done my first 2 open trackdays at 2 new tracks in the last week.  I've got a few more scheduled for this summer and will likely return to CSS when they're back "home" here in SoCal this fall. waytogo

CSS was my first time on a track on a bike, I'd absolutely endorse it as a great first time environment.  Everything is done at a slower pace with no pressure.

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
gm2

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 09:55:46 AM »

^^  what he said.

i've done levels 1-4, and did 4 twice.  i'd go back again.  it's a great school.

Like this is the racing, no?
Clyde Frog

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 11:35:15 AM »

Thanks for the great review ...

Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 12:41:57 PM »

+1

It's a great intro to the track.   Very structured.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Clyde Frog

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »

Has anyone attended one of their 2-day camps?

If you've also been to one of their one day sessions, can you compare the two?

Statler
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 02:23:19 PM »

Have not done camp yet but am doing it in August.   Did back to back single days, which was cool for my wife and for me as our instructors from day one would check in on day two so we had lots of attention.

From talking to other people who had done both it appeared one would get more from the camp after doing some of their other days first.  The camp is pricier and I plan on taking full advantage of all it offers in terms of one-on-one now that I'm more up for it.

<voice in Statler's head>
hang off the bike and stick your knee out you pansy!

sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »

interesting Statler, I'd have thought that doing the camp after doing level 1-2 would be a lot of repetition?  Let me know how it goes! waytogo

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
derby

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »

interesting Statler, I'd have thought that doing the camp after doing level 1-2 would be a lot of repetition?  Let me know how it goes! waytogo

i think gm2 has done it. you may want to talk to him about it.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
Alick

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »

Hey Clyde,
     I have done 3 individual days.  Levels 1-3.  And yes, I would highly recommend it.  I did one at Loudon, and two at Barber.  (Barber rules BTW.)

Everything is broken down very well and the individual attention is very good.  You basically have different classroom instructors throughout the day, but always the same on track coach.  You have one person following your actual progress and answering your questions, which I think is great.

I don't think the 2 day class makes financial sense.  I thought I had more than enough track time and was plenty tired at the end of the day.  So 20% more, or whatever they say, probably is a little overkill.  I would say do the individual days, save the extra $800, and go practice what you've learned at a regular track day.  Do two in a row if you can.  I think levels 1 and 2 give you plenty to work on for a while.

It is all very controlled.  So don't worry about some lunatic running you over.  The control riders do a great job.

Only other thing I would mention is bring as much of your personal gear as possible.  I hate rental gear.  I didn't take my boots to Bama, and I could barely walk in theirs as they chafed so badly.  Lotta band aids.  Gross.  Also, rental leathers are ill fitting and stink!  Think about all of those sweaty balls in there before you!  LOL!  bang head

I also hear great things about the Star Motorcycle School.  Don't know myself.
http://www.starmotorcycle.com/

tufty

Where did my money go?

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 04:22:00 AM »

Think about all of those sweaty balls in there before you! 

Nice visual and way TMI! vomit
gm2

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 06:54:31 AM »

i think gm2 has done it. you may want to talk to him about it.

you can do the camp with whatever 2 levels you want/are on next so no, not repetitive.

i did 4, 5 actually, individual days.  i've talked to several instructors about the camps.. you ride more and the instruction is a little more hands-on, and the food is better, but it's the same program.  with the amount of riding you get in a single day course and the fact that you are usually 3-to-1 with an on-track coach, i've never felt wanting for attention or track time.  so the 2-day camps never seemed worth it to me.

Like this is the racing, no?
lin

2007 Black S4RS

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »

Has anyone attended one of their 2-day camps?

I'm headed to the track next Wed and Thurs for the first time. I'll be attending the Code 2-day camp at VIR. I'll post up some thoughts afterwards.
Research Monkey

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 10:30:34 AM »

- Anyone whose been to one, how was the experience?

Great school and good structure! I have attended levels 1-3

- This will be my first track experience. Is this a good introduction experience?

Its actually a great introduction as you are provided with actual direction.  So after each in class session, you'll go out and complete the exercises on track.

- Is it worth the price tag?

I think both using your own bike and using their bikes are both worth it. 

- Any other general first-time advice?

They provide water, potassium pills, and sodium pills.  I suggest using them! Smiley

2005 Ducati Monster 620 - The Daily ride -
2006 GSXR600 - The Track Whore -
2008 Nissan Titan - The Toy Hauler -
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 03:08:55 PM »

They provide water, potassium pills, and sodium pills.  I suggest using them! Smiley

I was shocked at their pressure to take potassium.   This can be rather dangerous.   The several docs we had that day agreed and all commented on it.  Please talk with your doctor about this prior to blindly popping potassium in the quantities they suggest.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: