Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 07:18:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reminded me of home  (Read 3369 times)
andym

« on: November 18, 2008, 12:14:17 PM »

I had a lovely experience yesterday whilst riding home after work and thought I would share it with you.  waytogo

I was riding down the Tollway as normal when I came across a big queue of slow moving cars, as I started to slow down I  made a couple of lane changes to get through the gaps.  Whilst doing this the traffic virtually stopped but I could not resist the urge to keep going, so I did  [moto].  And I must say the cages were generally very accommodating with most moving across to give me room.  A couple seemed to try and block me but I  think they were just driving as normal and not paying attention to me behind them. Once the speed of traffic picked up again I just slotted in amongst them again.

I know this is not recommended here but it felt no different to riding in the UK and I was never going above 20mph.

M696 Dark
RED
carries my

'04 ST4s, '73 Triumph Bonneville 750 cafe

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 12:21:39 PM »

Happens all the time in L. A. You can't go down the PCH and not have a half dozen bikes come within inches of your rear-view mirror! At stop lights ...forget It. You better look all around you and keep your arms inside the cage.

I actually did the same Andy this past summer when coming into Dallas one time. The traffic on I-30 had stopped for an accident so I split because my Duc was overheating just idling. Most didn't mind at all. A few actually got over and waved at me.  [moto]
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »

Glad you had a good experience.  I'd be careful though.  Ride safe and don't trust the cagers.

No knock on Dallas people that I know or who read this but I was in Dallas yesterday and it is different in Dallas than it is in Fort Worth.  At least it was back then.  In Fort Worth, people used to let you change lanes if you used your turn signals.  They actually let you in front of them.  Even back then, if you used your turn signals in Dallas, people would just speed up to block you off, typical big city driving etiquette.  I can see it here in Fort Worth now, sad but true. 

What about coming over for dinner Thursday?  Westies Thursday dinner, Easties invited.  I'll bring warm beer for you.   Grin

cdc
Cyclone
DAS BOOT!

CHAT & SCAT !

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:40:14 PM »

Shocked When I first saw your post I thought maybe you saw traffic on the WRONG side of the road haha  laughingdp ( which in TX is somewhat likely) !

I'm with CDC on using lane split judiciously !   waytogo

'96 BMW R11 Gs - '72 Honda CT 90
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa
svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:18 PM »

i've actually seen more people doing it lately...  have I missed a rule change?  happy to scofflaw, but would just rather know that I am doing it, so I can take the right tone of "i didn't know I couldn't do that" vs. righteous indignation....

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
dallas2r

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »

I've been getting more "experimental" lately. (hand-sign) On the way over to F.W. tonight, 820 was backed up 4 miles due to a wreck. The first mile I played by the rules and drove like a good cager would, but with no end in sight to the sea of red brake lights I soon ventured into the nether regions between the lanes. The K-bike feels wide and I found myself puckering a little coming up on semi's and large trucks. One guy didn't like what I was cookin' and cut me off and honked so I decided to cool it for a bit before taking the left shoulder the rest of the way out of the melee. All in all it was a favorable experience, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're COMPLETELY aware of what's going on around you. I wouldn't put it past someone to do something stupid.

2007 Monster S2R1000
2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring/Urban

A motorcycle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no motorcycle. -Unknown
svoloch

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 11:18:44 PM »

I've been getting more "experimental" lately. (hand-sign) On the way over to F.W. tonight, 820 was backed up (hand-sign) 4 miles due to a wreck. The first mile I played by the rules and drove like a good cager would, but with no end in sight to the sea of red brake lights I soon ventured into the nether regions (hand-sign) between the lanes. The K-bike feels wide (hand-sign) and I found myself puckering a little (hand-sign) coming up on semi's and large trucks. One guy didn't like what I was cookin' (hand-sign) and cut me off and honked so I decided to cool it for a bit before taking the left shoulder the rest of the way out (hand-sign) of the melee. All in all it was a favorable experience, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're COMPLETELY aware of what's going on around you (hand-sign). I wouldn't put it past someone to do something stupid.

(hand-sign)

not bad, but you missed a few.

cheers,

-The Svoloch

2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
andym

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »

One guy didn't like what I was cookin' and cut me off and honked so I decided to cool it for a bit before taking the left shoulder the rest of the way out of the melee. All in all it was a favorable experience, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're COMPLETELY aware of what's going on around you. I wouldn't put it past someone to do something stupid.

I know this may sound crazy but I feel safer passing between the cages than I do rolling in stop go traffic.  I would rather have to deal with someone in front of me not liking me pass and trying to block me than than someone behind me not paying attention and rear ending me. 

M696 Dark
TresGatos

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 09:45:55 AM »

I know this may sound crazy but I feel safer passing between the cages than I do rolling in stop go traffic.  I would rather have to deal with someone in front of me not liking me pass and trying to block me than than someone behind me not paying attention and rear ending me. 
I agree, at least you have some control of the situation.  Having spent 6 mo. on a sport bike and on slabs with Tommy as a guide, negotiating traffic with the hammer-lane packed with non-passers I guess it pisses cagers off that someone has the ability to weave through the mess and get somewhere (while having fun on a Duc!) [moto]

'65 Honda CM91 - '98 Suzuki DR650 - '08 695+mods - '08 Hypermotard 1100S
greenohawk69

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:53:07 AM »

Happens all the time in L. A. You can't go down the PCH and not have a half dozen bikes come within inches of your rear-view mirror! At stop lights ...forget It. You better look all around you and keep your arms inside the cage.

I actually did the same Andy this past summer when coming into Dallas one time. The traffic on I-30 had stopped for an accident so I split because my Duc was overheating just idling. Most didn't mind at all. A few actually got over and waved at me.  [moto]

...within a few inches of your rear view mirror?  Now dat be sumz ridin'.   laughingdp

"An enlightened people, and an energetic public opinion... will control and enchain the aristocratic spirit of the government." --Thomas Jefferson to Chevalier de Ouis, 1814

There are 4 boxes to be used in the defense of liberty:  Soap, Ballot, Jury and Ammo.  Please use in this order.  -- Ed Howdershelt
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 06:24:19 AM »

The K-bike feels wide and I found myself puckering a little coming up on semi's and large trucks.

Tip:  The K-bike is wider than you think.... ask Slag.  Evil

• 2006 Ducati SportClassic 1000
  • 1978 Yamaha GT 80

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
Slag
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 06:28:40 AM »

And tougher than an F-250
dallas2r

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 12:44:52 PM »

I can shoe-horn that byatch into any tight spot!  [moto] waytogo

2007 Monster S2R1000
2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring/Urban

A motorcycle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no motorcycle. -Unknown
pipeliner1978
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 02:34:31 PM »

I can shoe-horn that byatch into any tight spot!  [moto] waytogo
that's what she said
svoloch

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 06:35:38 AM »

So, when I lived in SF, I was commuting on the 2001 K1200RS I had, with nice big side bags to hold my laptop, etc..  I would frequently spot my co-worked shooting down the freeway on his zx10, and then it was on.  Lane-split racing through stop and go traffic, and the K1200RS would frequently hold it's own.  I won frequently.  On one occasion, my co-worked congratulated me on my victory, and then pointed out the horizontal white stripe newly appeared on my right side bag....  hmm...  never felt it....  that's how stable those K bikes are Wink

2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: