Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 06:38:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspension Tuning  (Read 28783 times)
DRKWNG
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2010, 07:57:51 AM »

Shame.  I've got a couple of battery tenders laying around the garage over here.  I could have brought one out for the bargain basement price of a nice steak.   Grin
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »

Thanks for your help today Rick, the bike felt much cushier on the airport viaduct on the way home.

Here's that  suspension setup video that I was telling you about...

http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/view/73/40/

Here's another one that I forgot I had that addresses sag only...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 05:20:24 PM by Gene V » Logged

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2010, 08:31:56 AM »

Like I said in another thread, no worries. Glad it worked out so far. Interesting that the rear of the Streetfighter is as adjustable as it is compared to the superbikes. Front end, well..... I'm going to check if the forks are all the same.

The HyperMotard started and ran just fine once it got a good charge on the battery. I didn't take it out on the road though due to rainy weather. Maybe next weekend?

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »

Hopefully the weather and the HyperM owner will co-operate next weekend and we can properly check the suspension.  It'll be a small challenge to hoist the rear of the bike but I think I can see a way to do it.  The front is traveling 3 & 3/4 inches right now compared to 3" on the 848. It might only look short on the Hyper due to the length of the sliders.

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
hadesducati848
your sisters love my

1998 R1 (sold) 2009 848

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »

2 six packs will be enough considering that they have to be at least Bitburger, Sierra Nevada Glissade, or Guinness.  Also any grunt work of adjusting rear spring tension will be the owner's labor although the proper tools will be provided.  I make absolutely no guarantee that sag specs will be able to be brought into spec for the owner/rider using stock Ducati parts. The superbikes and Streetfighters have somewhat of a chance but as for the 750 I believe we might be able to adjust some rear sag, possibly some damping but little cheap hope for the front unless an adjustable front fork was installed. Different options can be discussed of course.

so now that i finally have my 848 back i was wondering if this offer still stands... if so maybe next weekend?

it is so much easier to get forgiveness then it will ever be to get permission.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2010, 07:29:25 AM »

Yes.  Just don't get your hopes set too high. Whatever sag changes we could make to the 848 will only have minimal effect. You can make some noticeable changes with damping adjustments though.

hadesducati848
your sisters love my

1998 R1 (sold) 2009 848

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2010, 07:44:42 AM »

Yes.  Just don't get your hopes set too high. Whatever sag changes we could make to the 848 will only have minimal effect. You can make some noticeable changes with damping adjustments though.

thank you.
anything would be better, after 3 months or riding the monster the insanely hard ride of the 848 is killing me.

DRKWNG
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2010, 08:02:44 AM »

after 3 months or riding the monster the insanely hard ride of the 848 is killing me.

Well, it is a SBK you know.  Wink
hadesducati848
your sisters love my

1998 R1 (sold) 2009 848

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2010, 08:17:28 AM »

Well, it is a SBK you know.  Wink

i keep telling my self that and it worked when i just got it and the novelty of it had me blinded to anything that was less then idea with it. but it feels like the rear tire is hopping up with every  little blemish in the road surface... very unconfidence inspiring when in a corner. if i could get the rear tire to travel  a lil bit rather then catapult me off the seat i would be happy. i am not expecting miracles or even a huge difference just something a lil bit better.

DRKWNG
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2010, 08:59:12 AM »

Well, the particular issue that you are describing will most likely require a call to Mr. Dan Kyle to completely sort out. 
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2010, 11:29:06 AM »

Well, the particular issue that you are describing will most likely require a call to Mr. Dan Kyle to completely sort out.  

OK, you notice that trait with the rear end and it bothers you. Good, in a way. Some people don't notice and some do but decide to just live with it or can't afford the modifications. The bike is sprung for two up riding or high speed use on an uber smooth track (and even that is debatable). You can try to take some of the harshness out by easing off the damping but you will still be fighting the spring tension. You can dial back some spring tension pre-load but these are only small band-aid measures that help slightly but don't really solve the main problem.

Of all the changes I've made to my bike replacing the rear shock was by far the most significant. More so than the exhaust and ECU. It changes how the bike rides, steers and even the feeling of power delivery to rear wheel. Once the back wheel stops bouncing around you gain better traction.

Just because it's a Superbike is no excuse.  The gixxer 750 I had is a Superbike yet the suspension it had was an eye opener and, in fact, once adjusted properly, set me on this course of understanding and working with suspension. Actually, I got started down that path working on my old Monster and then fighting with a 999 to make it steer and handle better. The 750 showed me what could be and how it should be. Unfortunately Ducati could, but doesn't, install a suspension that can work for both street and track. It is a mystery.

So, Ben is correct. To really start to make your bike work well you will need an Ohlins, Penske or RaceTech(?) rear shock that is properly sprung for you. I would also advise getting an adjustable ride height link.  You don't have to go crazy like I did with everything else though.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:15:35 PM by mac900 » Logged

hadesducati848
your sisters love my

1998 R1 (sold) 2009 848

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »

ok so my "Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Showa monoshock" is not really fully adjustable. or at least not adjustable enough to make any difference. so of three you mentioned what one do you suggest? as far as bang for the buck... and ummm please forgive the noob question but what do you mean "sprung for me"  and also i was told... (almost embarrassed to admit that  i believed it) but the sales guy (BILL) that sold me my bike said that my ducati cant be lowered and that no one makes a lowering link for it... adjustable ride height link... is that the same as a lowering link... shit i really need to learn bike anatomy lingo.

I humbly ask that you educate me , and learn me the ways of Italian super bikes

so umm who is this MR. Dan Kyle you speak of?

whackie

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2010, 11:41:49 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked  one of most well know guys in the business.

http://www.kyleusa.com/About_Us.html

different springs are rated for different weights. so when you go to order you springs, they will ask you how much you weigh. this is probably what you're looking for.

http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/product.sc?productId=85&categoryId=46
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:05:37 AM by whackie » Logged
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »

so of three you mentioned what one do you suggest? as far as bang for the buck...

said that my ducati cant be lowered and that no one makes a lowering link for it... adjustable ride height link... is that the same as a lowering link... shit i really need to learn bike anatomy lingo.

I humbly ask that you educate me , and learn me the ways of Italian super bikes

The Ohlins DU515 might be the best bang for the buck, average new price about $750.00.    The Penske shock (8987 series) which would have the same damping adjustments runs around $1100.00 but I don't know if they make one for an 848. (They do, I checked.) Race Tech seems to only make shocks for Yamahas  at this time.

Ride height link, lowering link --- all the same.  Sato Racing makes these for Ducati and I think there are a couple other manufacturers too. I put a Sato on my bike at the same time I installed the DU515.

When I replaced the front forks the nose of the bike dropped about 7 to 10 mm.  Since the rear link was set to stock length this was making the bike turn in real easy but I found it oversteering a bit (always diving deeper into the corner) and I would have to correct it back out to the line I wanted. So I lowered the rear by 7mm.  Immediately noticable as in much more neutral steering. As you can tell from this the overall height of the bike has been lowered. So much for the statement that it can't be done but it's not dropping it an inch or more like what is done to some bikes.

Dan Kyle is a name that will show up on your credit card statements with big numbers out to the right.   cheeky
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:59:24 PM by mac900 » Logged

Xerxes1769

2012 Ducati 1199 Tri 1975 Yamaha YZ125

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2010, 01:32:10 PM »

I need to get on this and set the Daytona up one of these days...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: