Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 12:50:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ducati Race Ecu for 696  (Read 9518 times)
golgofett

« on: December 13, 2008, 02:39:33 AM »

I would like to add an exhaust soon and was leaning towards the CF termignoni kit, because it also has the race ecu.  What changes does the race ecu have over the stock? 

2009 M1100 Gloss Black
Motovation Frame Sliders
Touring Seat
CRG Lanesplitters w/Rhinomoto Barends
Rizoma fender eliminator
Rizoma Avio 21's
gearhead

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:47:01 PM »

Honestly, I couldnt tell ya as I have been running it that way since it was practically new. I ran it for a few weeks with just the slip ons and it definately added some jam when I switched over to the ecu. I had to first change over my reversed coils and once that happened it ran much better. I would still say it is lean though, whicjh is confusing becaue it a supposed "racing" model. I wish you could fiddle with some jets to get it perfect. I would say that the FI on this bike isnt as good as having carbs. The EPA fueling isnt very good. My 02 VFR also suffers from a lean condition vs my 86 carbed VFR which ran much better.
desmoworks

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »

The 696 "race" ECU is different than past DP ECUs. Previously they were mapped all new for the exhaust and they eliminated O2 sensors and exhaust valves if present.

Now with the 696 the "race" ECU retains the O2 sensors (2 of them) so the lower RPM/throttle opening portion of the map is still controlled by the O2 sensors - closed loop. Above this when the bike is running in open loop mode the map is new and created to match the exhaust.

Hopefully that is what you are looking for. If you need more info let me know.

Anthony Creek
Pro Italia Online || mota-lab
golgofett

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 01:45:53 PM »

So the bike would run the same at low rpms and get a little boost at the higher rpms?

2009 M1100 Gloss Black
Motovation Frame Sliders
Touring Seat
CRG Lanesplitters w/Rhinomoto Barends
Rizoma fender eliminator
Rizoma Avio 21's
desmoworks

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »

So the bike would run the same at low rpms and get a little boost at the higher rpms?

The same A/F ratio at lower RPM, yes - power might be slightly different due to the exhaust flow being different.

Anthony Creek
sfarchie

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »

The 696 "race" ECU is different than past DP ECUs. Previously they were mapped all new for the exhaust and they eliminated O2 sensors and exhaust valves if present.

Now with the 696 the "race" ECU retains the O2 sensors (2 of them) so the lower RPM/throttle opening portion of the map is still controlled by the O2 sensors - closed loop. Above this when the bike is running in open loop mode the map is new and created to match the exhaust.

Hopefully that is what you are looking for. If you need more info let me know.

Is it difficult to install the Termis? It doesn't appear that hard, but my biggest worry is the ECU. Is this something reserved for the pros or is this something anyone who tinkers a bit can get on?

Ray
SFaRChie
'10 Streetfighter, '01 KTM Duke II, '09 M1100S (RIP), '08 Vespa GTS 250,'58 Vespa Allstate (RIP), M696 (sold)
desmoworks

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »

It's all pretty easy and the 696 has a self resetting TPS so no need to take the bike to the dealer if you are comfortable working on it yourself.

One plus about having the dealer install though is the warranty. 2 years on the Termi kit if a dealer installs it.

Anthony Creek
sfarchie

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:26:58 PM »

It's all pretty easy and the 696 has a self resetting TPS so no need to take the bike to the dealer if you are comfortable working on it yourself.

One plus about having the dealer install though is the warranty. 2 years on the Termi kit if a dealer installs it.

Cool, thanks! Unfortunately, my dealer said in CA they can no longer install them. But they can still service the bike with the pipe on. He mentioned something about CA cracking down on emissions and they can get fined heavily if caught.

Ray
SFaRChie
'10 Streetfighter, '01 KTM Duke II, '09 M1100S (RIP), '08 Vespa GTS 250,'58 Vespa Allstate (RIP), M696 (sold)
desmoworks

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:32:36 PM »

Cool, thanks! Unfortunately, my dealer said in CA they can no longer install them. But they can still service the bike with the pipe on. He mentioned something about CA cracking down on emissions and they can get fined heavily if caught.

Wow - that is crazy! I'm really surprised to hear that especially since the Termi kit comes wtih db killers and O2 sensors. It is way more compliant than most kits.

Anthony Creek
sfarchie

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »

Yeah, I was surprised, too. I've installed a Leo Vinci pipe on my Vespa, but that was a simple plug and play. I read the Termi instructions and it didn't seem too difficult as you've mentioned. I'll give it a try Sunday if the weather holds out for a run after it's installed.

Ray
SFaRChie
Heath

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 08:59:05 AM »

Time to find a new dealer.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
gearhead

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 07:37:36 PM »

Time to find a new state.
Raux
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 02:11:35 AM »

Wow - that is crazy! I'm really surprised to hear that especially since the Termi kit comes wtih db killers and O2 sensors. It is way more compliant than most kits.

Only the Titanium kits are road compliant. the SS and CF both say offroad use only.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:38:13 AM by Raux » Logged
sfarchie

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »

According to my dealer, it all stemmed from Jessie James getting fined. They can still service bikes with aftermarket exhausts, but can't be the ones installing them.

http://www.bikernewswire.com/Story_105.html

Ray
SFaRChie
Greg

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 07:15:58 AM »

According to my dealer, it all stemmed from Jessie James getting fined. They can still service bikes with aftermarket exhausts, but can't be the ones installing them.

http://www.bikernewswire.com/Story_105.html

I wonder if that only applies to new motors? Is there still a Grandfather clause for using old motors?

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: