Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 02:35:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: term exhaust VS others  (Read 6001 times)
corvtt1969

« on: May 12, 2008, 10:05:03 AM »

whats the advantages of the Term exhaust on an S2r800 (or any monster for sake of argument) VS other exhaust brands (ex: arrow)? Id love to get a term kit with the ecu and filter but not trying to spend 1500+ bucks. is it worth it is what im getting at. opinions and thoughts?

2006 S2R
2002 Mini Cooper S
1983 XJ750 Maxim
1969 cb450
1969 Corvette vert
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:19:38 AM »

I have an '07 S2RS and installed Termignoni slip-ons last fall.  Unlike some of the other Monsters which seem to also need the ECU upgrade the 800 seems to tolerate this mod just fine with no side-effects such as stalling or popping under decel.  I left the udder and airbox filter in place so as not to cause a lean situation.  I've been told that playing with the airbox would probably mean buying the DP ECU or a Power Commander to beef up the fuel map.

Seat of the pants tells me it performs pretty much the same as stock.  If there is an increase or decrease in power its small enough I don't notice.  For me the Termi sound was the biggest draw.  I don't find the noise level near as offensive as most of the Hardly-Abelsons around here.  And with the Termis you can remove or re-install the db killers in about 10 seconds with an allen key and a pair of vise grips if you decide you want quiet time.   waytogo 

They get my vote.

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
corvtt1969

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:33:38 AM »

running the risk of sounding cheap here.... is coring the muffler a worthwhile alternative to spending several hundred on just cans? id like a more open sound but not being incredibly loud would be nice. more power would be awesome but sounds like theres not much out there to be gained thru exhaust mods with out getting in deep.

2006 S2R
2002 Mini Cooper S
1983 XJ750 Maxim
1969 cb450
1969 Corvette vert
FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »

whats the advantages of the Term exhaust on an S2r800 (or any monster for sake of argument) VS other exhaust brands (ex: arrow)?

You can get those cool patches for your jacket like Jetpuff (tony). And then Tim can tell you how much he hates the logos when he sees you at Rhodeside.

I have Arrow pipes.

Love 'em.

No patches.  Sad

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:22:34 PM »

running the risk of sounding cheap here.... is coring the muffler a worthwhile alternative to spending several hundred on just cans? id like a more open sound but not being incredibly loud would be nice. more power would be awesome but sounds like theres not much out there to be gained thru exhaust mods with out getting in deep.

A lot of people go for this option, but these same people also say that perhaps some baffling is a good thing.  It tends to be a bit sharper and "barky", since it doesn't cut any of the higher pitches in the exhaust note. 

I have Arrows and couldn't hear Tim's response.   cheeky

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
twolanefun

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:32:10 AM »

whats the advantages of the Term exhaust on an S2r800 (or any monster for sake of argument) VS other exhaust brands (ex: arrow)? Id love to get a term kit with the ecu and filter but not trying to spend 1500+ bucks. is it worth it is what im getting at. opinions and thoughts?
Bottom line is the DP solution is turn key, just bolt it on mor or less, others may or may not be. I would avoid any option that requires a Power Commander. I have no experinec with the arrow system but understand it is also turn key. I have a DP system on 2 of my Ducatis, M900 and ST3, wakes up the power band at about 4K vs stock - 5K. As the saying goes you get what you pay for and if you look at the breakdown on parts - it is the ECU that is expensive, the Cans are about the same as other solutions. One could argue, as I have for my S2R1000, that the cost of the ECU is over the top and a bit of a rip-off - but it works. - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
tocino

96 900 SS/CR, 75 Guzzi 850-T, 74 MkIIa Commando

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:39 AM »

Bottom line is the DP solution is turn key, just bolt it on mor or less, others may or may not be.

+1 what Gene said.

My understanding is that any muffler will be fine - as long as you don't change the cat or airbox. Once you do that you change the air flow / gas charging / whatever and it will be too lean. I got rid of the cat with a new midpipe and it acted very lean - which I cured with the hack of removing the O2 sensor. I'll be (re)installing a RapidBike3 module soon. All this is a long way of saying, if you want optimal performance you'll pay in one lump sum or in bits and pieces. If you just want it a bit louder, then just cans, or coring the stockers should be fine.

<Edit> I have the Leo Vince 2 into 1 and I really like the sound - pretty mellow by DP / Arrow standards.

"Purchase this fine motorbike and you will find yourself swimming in a ocean of pre-feminist, lose-moraled women in see-through clothing without any buttons." - PipeBurn
ducpenguin

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 07:05:23 AM »

I don't have the mechanical expertise as many of the others on here; but, I just got Termis w/ECU (wish I would have known that that wasn't necessary) for my S4R and couldn't be happier.  If it is the deep growling sound you are looking for, you can't go wrong with the Termis...
As far as increased power...from my understanding the stock pipes weigh about 14 pounds and you gain 1 hp for every 7 pounds lost.  So you will probably get 1-1.5 extra hp out of it.
Good luck!

jetpuff716

'06 S2R 800 (Black & Tang); '06 PS1000

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »

I have the Termi slip on kit w/ airbox mod and ECU.  It produces a nice deep sound, similar to Arrows and Akropovics that I've heard before.  I've never heard Zards on the S2R, but they sound quite nice on other bikes. 

As far as the Termis slip-ons for the S2R, they're not loud enough for me and I don't believe there is a DB killer in my cans.  Something to note - when I had it Dyno'd last year, even with the ECU it was running pretty damn lean at higher RPMs.   I'll look for and post the charts if I can find them.

You may also want to consider the Quat D set up.  One of our newer members (buddhie) has it on her monster.  She'll probably be at Rhodeside on Weds.

Finally, if you can help me to convince Gene to sell me his ARC slip-ons, I'd be willing to part w/ my Termis (sans ECU and Air Box) for a fair and reasonable price.  ECU wouldn't work anyway, as I understand.

//tb

twolanefun

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »

[quote author=jetpuff716 link=topic=1685.msg20738#msg20738 date=1210722075
Finally, if you can help me to convince Gene to sell me his ARC slip-ons, I'd be willing to part w/ my Termis (sans ECU and Air Box) for a fair and reasonable price.  ECU wouldn't work anyway, as I understand.
//tb
[/quote]
Not a chance just cooked up a mod with Duc Pond that will incorporate those Doug Cook specials, can't wait!

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
topspin_flyer

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 09:13:33 AM »

I just installed some Leo Vince CF slip-ons on my 695 and I am loving the deep sound, enjoying and just getting lost in the sweet sound of my new exhaust notes now.  I have decided I will leave the baffles in because I think it sounds about right now, a dramatic improvement over the stock "sewing machine" - it sounds like a real bike now, but not to the point of being obnoxous.  I went with the Leos as an alternative to the Termis because they are very similiar but different, while stilll they are designed to work with the stock ECU, ...and I probably watched this Youtube clip, see link below, one too many times and then I had to have them!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBeo7keEpA8&feature=related

OK, now tell me that was not a convincing arguement  :-)

2007 Ducati Monster 695 with LeoVince CF slip-on exhaust; 14 tooth sprocket; Sargent Seat; DP seat cowl; Rizoma handlebars and bar-end caps, CRG Hindsight LS mirrors, and fender eliminator license plate bracket.

2008 Honda VFR 800 with LeoVince CF slip-on exhaust and Competition Werks Fender Eliminator.
Duc and Cover

2006 S2R1000 - Silver, Black, and Effin Fast!

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »

I was running the Termi slip on kit with the DP ECU and open airbox on my S2R1000. But neither Battley's nor DucPond has been able to get the ECU to work with my bike properly, so I'm back to using the stock ECU with slip-ons and open-air box and it runs fine. Hopefully one of these days I'll actually get to use the ECU that I paid for.

I just recently broke down and ordered the DP mid-pipe to complete the full termi system. I got it because I hate the look of the udder, and I am running out of other simple mods. But other than that the slip-ons perform fine with the stock udder. Once that comes I'm taking the bike to DucPond and I'm not picking it up till they have the whole termi system working with the DP ECU.

If I had to do it all over again I would go with a solution that has no cans (like the Quat D) or just little boom-tubes because I'm all about less-is-more now.

...CRG bar-ends, DIY tail chop, open clutch cover, open timing belt cover, stainless clutch springs w/black caps, Bitubo top-mount steering damper, 14-t front sprocket, integrated LED smoked tail light, clear front mini signals, full Termi exhaust, DP open airbox, DP ECU, suspension tuned by DucPond Racing, flipped handlebars, titanium Rizoma reservoirs, DIY chopped bikini fairing, DucDual headlights w/halos, mini CF rear chain guard, pro-grips, misplaced emissions canister...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: