Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 02:44:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dropped it!!!  (Read 3116 times)
Cuky_Monster

« on: December 27, 2008, 08:49:54 PM »

Hello Ladies!

I had this posted in the General Forum but I just found you...(I've been lost)

Picked up my 696 yesterday.  WhooHoo!  I was pretty nervous about the whole thing because I can't get on the freeway until after the break-in period so had to take side streets.  The ride was spectacular!  Love the handling and pick up.  As soon as I get it home (about 15 miles from the dealership) and park it happens....DROPPED IT!!! 

Pulling in to my back yard, that has a short incline through the gate, I have to make a sharp right turn once inside.  Got it stopped at the top of it, put my foot down and didn't find the ground fast enough.  Not used to the top heavy machine, it followed the laws of gravity right to the ground.  UGH...I was frantic to find a neighbor to help me pull my baby back up.  10 minutes later I finally found someone.  I was kicking myself in the arse while I inspected the damage.  Luckily the only casualty was the right hand mirror which I could not see anything out of the whole ride home anyway.  I started her up for a while to see if anything was leaking out...nothing.  She fell in some pretty well rained on dirt.

Haven't gotten to ride her since, should I be worried about anything else other than bent handle bars and pegs?  Still kicking myself in the rear.

Cheers

2009 696 Flat Black
jdubbs32584
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »

We've already talked over PMs so I'll just say Welcome!!!!  chug
River
Oh look, I'm a

Yogini Ducatista

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »

I'll echo JBub and bid you welcome as well!  It sounds like you have things well in hand if the two of you have talked about it.  As for dropping the bike, it happens.  I'm a new rider (started in may of '08) and everyone told me I'd do at least a few things that I would kick myself for over and over again.  They were right.  *ONE* of the stupid things I did was not put the kickstand down prior to leaning my bike over to park it...I was parked RIGHT next to my friend's irreplaceable custom M900.  Guess what?  HIS Duc broke the fall.  Yeah.  That sucked.  Fortunately damage to the machines was minimal.  Damage to my ego, well, that's another story. 

The moral of the story is that I'll get over my goof-ups and so will you.

Welcome to the club!

Inara: (pissed) "What did I say to you about barging into my shuttle?"

Mal: "That it was manly and impulsive?"

Inara: "Yes, precisely. Only the exact phrase I used was 'don't'."
Holden
Sausage Creature

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:54:33 PM »

Those mirrors are so awful and ooglay that they should be the first things to go anyway. You just employed an unorthodox technique of removing them. waytogo

p.s. I didn't realize that this was in the women's forum. Tongue
maillotpois

Faster on my Merckx

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 10:51:26 PM »

Welcome Cuky!

I did almost the same thing and low sided my 696 in a bad turn after 100 miles.  My bike was damaged a lot more than it sounds like yours was, so consider yourself lucky - and your bike "pre-disastered".  I also lost my mirrors - and the bar end ones are going to be a big improvement.  (I also employed an unorthodox manner of getting termis...   Roll Eyes ).

Good thing your landed in some nice soft earth instead of pavement - and even better that you are fine!   Give us a ride report when you get back on!   Vino!

My hovercraft is full of eels.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:04:42 AM »

Good thing your landed in some nice soft earth instead of pavement - and even better that you are fine!

+1 waytogo

The first drop is the most traumatic by the way...at least it won't be such a big deal if it happens again. Wink

p.s. I didn't realize that this was in the women's forum. Tongue

No worries, we don't mind positive/constructive comments from guys in here. Smiley

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
lytehouse

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »

Welcome to the "club" Cuky.......in more ways that 1! 
I'm told that there are 2 kinds of motorcyclers, those who have dropped their bikes & those who are going to! But that first one is the worst. Sorry   Cry

Cuky_Monster

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »

Thank you for all of your condolences.  I guess it is true that the first drop is the worst.  I've been riding a Suzuki Boulevard for the past year and have not had an issue only because of the lower center of gravity.

JB - thanks for the link on the lower seat.  Definately have to go to the dealer this weekend to order it.

This forum seems like a nice place to hang out at.  You guys...oh, sorry...girls are great.

Sharon

2009 696 Flat Black
Ducgirl

Racing Red 696 re-mapped w/Termi's & Marchesinis

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 09:13:47 PM »

Thank you for all of your condolences.  I guess it is true that the first drop is the worst.  I've been riding a Suzuki Boulevard for the past year and have not had an issue only because of the lower center of gravity.

JB - thanks for the link on the lower seat.  Definately have to go to the dealer this weekend to order it.

This forum seems like a nice place to hang out at.  You guys...oh, sorry...girls are great.

Sharon
Hi..I missed the link on the lower seat...how much lower??? p.s... I had my first, and hopefully last, dropped bike last year when I was turning left very slowly and the bike just went down. I was leaving a parking lot, fortunately I was able to stand up so the bike wasn't going fast at all. It is such a surprise when that happens... Roll Eyes
jdubbs32584
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 05:20:54 AM »

Hi..I missed the link on the lower seat...how much lower??? p.s... I had my first, and hopefully last, dropped bike last year when I was turning left very slowly and the bike just went down. I was leaving a parking lot, fortunately I was able to stand up so the bike wasn't going fast at all. It is such a surprise when that happens... Roll Eyes

Here is the link to the official ducati lowered seat: http://www.ducati.com/shop/product.jsp?catid=cat970159&prodid=prod1520134

Its 20mm lower. I have an old style monster with a ducati lowered seat and it worked wonders for me.

You can also shave the seat yourself if you're brave enough.
Ducgirl

Racing Red 696 re-mapped w/Termi's & Marchesinis

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 09:45:16 PM »

Here is the link to the official ducati lowered seat: http://www.ducati.com/shop/product.jsp?catid=cat970159&prodid=prod1520134

Its 20mm lower. I have an old style monster with a ducati lowered seat and it worked wonders for me.

You can also shave the seat yourself if you're brave enough.
Thank you! Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: