Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:01:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 133   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DT "say anything" thread  (Read 355529 times)
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #1665 on: May 09, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »

Give me that thing & I'll see if I can cure the blues.   Evil

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #1666 on: May 09, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »

From what I've read this is caused by oils coming to the surface after a heat cycle (outgassing), which is common with race tires...problem is, the tire gets a little harder after these heat cycles.... Sad

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #1667 on: May 09, 2015, 11:42:42 PM »

From a UK track day site...

Tyre Discolouration – Blue Tyres

Motorcycle Blue Tyres

You often see the question come up ‘why are my tyres blue’ or ‘what’s this blue stuff on my tyres’ with people suggesting that when you see it the tyres are done. This isn’t completely true.

What makes it blue? – Motorcycle tyres actually contain oils that keep the tyre soft and the blue/green tint you can see on your tyres is just the oils coming to the surface.

Why are they on the surface? – After the tyres have been used to the point where they gain significant heat, when they cool down again (this is one heat cycle) the oils in the tyre will often come to the surface. When you go back out and ride the bike these surface oils are scrubbed off and it’s only when you come back in and let the tyres cool down again that you’ll see more oils coming to the surface.

Each time you take a tyre through a heat cycle you are losing the oils that keep the tyre soft, so the more heat cycles a tyre has been through the less effective the rubber is going to be for you.

As a side note, heat cycles will affect track tyres a lot worse than road biased tyres, as road tyres are expected to go through these cycles

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1668 on: May 20, 2015, 09:33:23 PM »

From what I've read this is caused by oils coming to the surface after a heat cycle (outgassing), which is common with race tires...problem is, the tire gets a little harder after these heat cycles.... Sad

Did you get that bluing off of the tire?  Where did you get those Q3's from anyway? Locally?

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #1669 on: May 20, 2015, 10:53:14 PM »

Did you get that bluing off of the tire?  Where did you get those Q3's from anyway? Locally?

The bluing goes away when I go for a ride, and then gradually comes back after I park the bike...that rear tire came from SS, the front from Revzilla...

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1670 on: May 21, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »

The bluing goes away when I go for a ride, and then gradually comes back after I park the bike...that rear tire came from SS, the front from Revzilla...

How did you get Revzilla to ship you a front tire?  They say clearly that they only ship tires to the 48 contiguous states.

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #1671 on: May 21, 2015, 09:56:50 AM »

How did you get Revzilla to ship you a front tire?  They say clearly that they only ship tires to the 48 contiguous states.

You do a phone order, they will charge you an extra $25 shipping for up to two tires to Hawaii...I originally ordered the set from Revzilla then picked up a nail in the rear, hence the locally procured rear tire...Grin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:28:16 AM by Speed 3 Pilot » Logged

« Reply #1672 on: May 21, 2015, 11:37:50 PM »

G
Is it worth the extra legwork...taking bike & tires to a shop for install?
May I ask what approximate savings are?
I have contemplated doing this !

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #1673 on: May 22, 2015, 10:43:58 AM »

G
Is it worth the extra legwork...taking bike & tires to a shop for install?
May I ask what approximate savings are?
I have contemplated doing this !

Whether you save or not is going to depend a lot on how much the shop charges for the mount & balance.

The last tires I ordered were Q3s from Revzilla, cost was $285 with m & b at SS coming in at $136 for a total of $421 for the set, I think the quote from SS was $510.  I picked up a nail in the rear early on which couldn't be repaired.  I paid SS $299 for a new rear mounted & balanced, according to the repair order this included a $91 part discount.  Note that SS did pick up the bike from my house and offered to deliver it back to me after they were pau, no charge for this.

Prior to the Q3s, I picked up a nail on H3 in the rear OE Pirelli Supercorsa SP at about 600 miles, SS picked me up and took the bike to their shop. Andy's was the only shop that had the tire in stock, I sweet talked him into selling me the tire less the m&b charge for only $420 and paid SS $75 for the m&b...Andy wanted to do the m&b and I had to beg him to sell me just the tire.

Check Amazon as well as Revzilla, I ordered a set of 2CTs for the Duc from them sometime back and had free shipping.

Before you order, to determine whether you can save $$$ or not call your favorite local shop for the m&b pricing as they can be all over the place...SS has at various times quoted me $100, $50, & $75 per tire.

Good luck with your next tire purchase... Grin

« Reply #1674 on: May 23, 2015, 12:07:17 AM »

Thanks for the reply Gene

Funny how SS's tire mounting quotes are all over the place!!

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #1675 on: May 23, 2015, 07:16:40 AM »

Funny how SS's tire mounting quotes are all over the place!!

I think it depends on who you deal with and whether or not you're a regular customer...

« Reply #1676 on: May 25, 2015, 08:42:27 PM »

Anyone have opinion or knowledge on Battery Tender Lithium Batteries?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL14A240C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPJ8S

I have that stinking feeling the CBR is gonna need one soon😣
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:46:15 PM by 118811 » Logged

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1677 on: May 26, 2015, 06:38:37 AM »

Anyone have opinion or knowledge on Battery Tender Lithium Batteries?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-BTL14A240C-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B00F9LPJ8S

I have that stinking feeling the CBR is gonna need one soon😣

Folks that I know have always installed Shorai batteries. You can get them from Amazon too.

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #1678 on: June 02, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »

Quarter mile shootout...

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2015-superbike-test-comparison-shootout-drag-race-bmw-s1000rr-vs-ducati-1299-panigale-s-vs-yamaha?cmpid=enews060215&spPodID=030&spMailingID=22761200&spUserID=NjMxMTY5MjE1NDYS1&spJobID=580182499&spReportId=NTgwMTgyNDk5S0

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #1679 on: June 03, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »

Looks like we have to wait until the end of summer for the entire test.  Good thing that I've retired from superbikes.   Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 133   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: