Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:23:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator Cover Removal (Easy)  (Read 5184 times)
Smokescreen

« on: May 12, 2008, 01:41:44 PM »

I noticed a thread on this on the old board that was never addressed.  I figured since I'd just done the thing, I may as well adress it here and build on the old knowledge base.

A couple weeks ago, MonsterGrrl's M900 ruptured it's alternator cover seal.  So it was time for us to get down and dirty.  (Suprise number one) I was told that I had to buy Ducati's cover removal tool, which they value at 150 bones, but after seeing it, I went shopping.  At PepBoys, I found two steering wheel pullers for 10 and 15 bones respectively, so I sprung for the pricier one caus it was prettier...  The bolts it came with were too large, so I removed a bolt from Jules' speedymoto bearing cap and bought a corasponding one with length enough to clear the puller as well as a couple washers.

Drain engine oil
After removing the clutch slave cylinder (three bolts) and the front sprocket cover (two bolts?) and al the bolts around the periphery of the cover (all different lengths so keep track!!) I used the steering wheel puller and aligned it to the alternator/crank  then slowly screwed in the bolt on the puller until the cover backed off enough to remove by hand.

Suprise number two.  Ducati no longer makes a paper seal for this part.  When we reomoved ours and learned this, I bought some Form-A-Gasket No. 2, alhough No.1 woulda been better.  I'll get flamed for this no doubt, but I oppose useing Silicone sealant because it will leak, as silicone will break down from contact with oil ( http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/anaerobic_gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_High_Temperature_Anaerobic_Flange_Sealant.htm ) this could work too.  Putting this on without getting some on the clutch pushrod proved impossible for us, but that's not been at all problematic.  While the thing was apart, I also rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder.  Super easy, a must do!!  I'm not kidding here...  I put the gasket maker on the case not the cover in a middling sized line, then smoothed it with my finger.  Then reinstalled the clutch cover which supposedly can be done by hand, but required a little plastic hammer prodding in our case.  Very gentle people.  Make sure before you get to this step, you've cleaned the seal surface and removed all previous sealant.  Then install bolts in an opposite order.  One on top, then one on bottom, etc...  until you notice the sealant moving out just a little!!!  Stop here, go have a beer...  for 24 hours minimum, then come back and torque to specification.  I use my own on lil bolts, so refer to a book or something here.  Then add oil, fire her up and run up to temperature wathcing for any leaks to develope.  Let cool, and on the next go, run to temp then ride a few miles.  Check again, and recheck torque on bolts.  and you are done!  Easy stuff!

Best of luck!

ps, please add to this as you see fit.
W

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary. 

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: