Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 08:38:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For Howie  (Read 6981 times)
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« on: May 12, 2008, 05:34:38 PM »

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,2279357,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

The ultimate ethical meal: a grey squirrel

It tastes sweet, like a cross between lamb and duck. And it's selling as fast as butchers can get it

It's low in fat, low in food miles and completely free range. In fact, some claim that Sciurus carolinensis - the grey squirrel - is about as ethical a dish as it is possible to serve on a dinner plate.

The grey squirrel, the American cousin of Britain's endangered red variety, is flying off the shelves faster than hunters can shoot them, with game butchers struggling to keep up with demand. 'We put it on the shelf and it sells. It can be a dozen squirrels a day - and they all go,' said David Simpson, the director of Kingsley Village shopping centre in Fraddon, Cornwall, whose game counter began selling grey squirrel meat two months ago.

Article continues
At Ridley's Fish and Game shop in Corbridge, Northumberland, the owner David Ridley says he has sold 1,000 - at £3.50 a squirrel - since he tested the market at the beginning of the year. 'I wasn't sure at first, and wondered would people really eat it. Now I take every squirrel I can get my hands on. I've had days when I have managed to get 60 and they've all sold straight away.'

Simpson likens the taste to wild boar. Ridley thinks it is more a cross between duck and lamb. 'It's moist and sweet because, basically, its diet has been berries and nuts,' he said.

Both believe its new-found popularity is partly due to its green credentials. 'People like the fact it is wild meat, low in fat and local - so no food miles,' says Simpson. Ridley reckons that patriotism also plays a part: 'Eat a grey and save a red. That's the message.'

A glut of back-to-the-wild TV programmes featuring celebrity chefs such as Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has also tickled the public's palate, but squirrel is still unlikely to be found in the family fridge. The Observer's restaurant critic, Jay Rayner, said he had never tasted squirrel, but if he did have it for dinner 'it would have to be a big, fat country squirrel and not one of the mangy urban ones you see in cities'.

'People may say they are buying it because it's green and environmentally friendly, but really they're doing it out of curiosity and because of the novelty value. If they can say, "Darling, tonight we're having squirrel", then that takes care of the first 30 minutes of any dinner party conversation. I see it remaining a niche. There's not much meat on a squirrel, so I'd be surprised if farming squirrel takes off anywhere some time soon.'

Kevin Viner, former chef-proprietor of Pennypots, the first Michelin-starred restaurant in Cornwall, who now runs Viners bar and restaurant at Summercourt, believes it will remain a niche market. But with a plentiful supply of meat - there are estimated to be almost five million grey squirrels in Britain - there is room for the market to expand.

Viner - who comes from a rural 'if you shot it, you ate it' background - said the trick was to serve squirrel fresh and not to leave it hanging like other game. 'It looks a lot like rabbit, though it is a drier meat and slightly firmer. Most of the meat comes off the rear leg. The loins are so thin they need much shorter cooking time,' he said.

'A large squirrel would be enough for one-and-a-half people. The public really are being drawn to it. I think that it's because it is being perceived as a healthy meat. Southern fried squirrel is good. And tandoori style works. It is especially tasty fricasséed with Cornish cream and walnuts. But the one everyone seems to like is the Cornish squirrel pasty.'

And his own favourite recipe? 'I must admit, I'm a beef man myself,' he said. 'But my huntsman swears by squirrel with sausage meat and bacon.'

How to make squirrel pasties
Kevin Viner's recipe for two pasties

140g squirrel meat cut into 1cm cubes;

100g sliced potato; 100g sliced swede; 50g diced onion; 30g smoked bacon;

15g chopped hazelnuts; 75g butter;

5g chopped parsley; a good pinch of salt and pepper

Method

· Egg wash edges of pastry circles.

· Place the potato, swede, hazelnuts, parsley and seasoning on to each circle followed by the bacon, squirrel meat and, finally, the onion.

· Place butter in each pasty, then fold over the pastry and crimp the edges.

· Put the pasties on to a greaseproof baking tray, egg wash both pasties well, place in a pre-heated oven at 180C or gas mark 5.

· Bake for 45-50 minutes. The juices should start to boil and the pasties should be able to move on the tray with ease.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 05:36:03 PM »

might as well eat rats.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »

might as well eat rats.

only if they are city bushy tailed rats...i mean squirrels

my cousins (yes we are southerners) went out and shot a few from the back porch thelast time we were down there. they is pretty tasty.

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
Rev. Millertime

Professional Asshole and all around creepy guy.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »

Hey now, squirrel isn't really that bad.

A lot like rabbit.

I'd eat it again if we actually had squirrels in north dakota.

Guess it's hard to have squirrels when your state tree is a telephone pole.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night.
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 06:01:30 PM »

When I was in college, some buddies and I shot a bunch of squirrels, and the way home, we did a little drinking.  Once home (and drunk), we found nothing in the kitchen to make with the squirrels.  Consequently, we gutted and skinned them, and lined 'em up on a baking sheet and popped them in the oven.  What emerged after 30 minutes at 400°F took away our appetites.  Lips Sealed

Oh, and rabbit is much better.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Rev. Millertime

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:02:52 PM »

That's because you cooked 'em wrong.

Schwanger

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:13:25 PM »

The question here reverend is, is there a right way to cook them?
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:17:26 PM »

There is a right way to cook all things......

.....and that would be fried in bacon fat.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Schwanger

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 06:19:38 PM »

We have a winner! waytogo
Rev. Millertime

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 06:21:29 PM »

I'll have a recipe up here by next week.

Just gotta talk to my pops.

Bout time you step out of the shadows.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:23:01 PM by Rev. Millertime » Logged

Schwanger

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »

You have to see what I posted in MADDOG.

Like I said I'm working on getting banned on TOB.  I have so far received 2 "infractions" for spamming.  They haven't found my other posts yet.
Rev. Millertime

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 06:26:35 PM »

Here's a recipe for BACON FRIED SQUIRREL

Ingredients :

4   x   young squirrels each cut 6 to 8
        pieces
1/2   tsp   salt
1/2   tsp   freshly-ground black pepper
1/2   tsp   garlic powder
1/4   cup   all-purpose flour
8   slc   bacon chopped
1/4   cup   onion sliced
2   x   celery stalks sliced
1   tbl   fresh rosemary leaves minced
2   tsp   lemon juice
1   cup   chicken broth
4   cup   warm cooked rice

Method :

* Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder and flour. Dredge squirrels in flour mixture.
    * Cook bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat until browned. Fry squirrel pieces in bacon grease until medium brown. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until squirrel pieces are tender.
    * Serve with warm rice.
    * This recipe yields 4 servings.
    * Comments: Anything fried, squirrel included, tastes pretty good. The squirrels are first fried and then simmered in liquid until tender. Young squirrels taste much better than old ones. If you are worried about fat and cholesterol, eat a carrot.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:30:09 PM by Rev. Millertime » Logged

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 06:27:41 PM »

....and people think Ducati riders are snobs....

Rev. Millertime

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »

....and people think Ducati riders are snobs....

Read the last line! Grin

I'll eat damn near anything.

Funny what some people eat... snails, clams, oysters.... bottom feeders.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:33:33 PM by Rev. Millertime » Logged

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »

damn right.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: