Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 03:40:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advanced Riding course  (Read 2296 times)
andym

« on: January 13, 2009, 11:42:55 AM »

A friend of mine, John, he was at the fashion show on a sv1000, wants to know if there are any good advanced riding courses around here?

He is an experienced rider of almost 30 years but has not completed any courses.  Would he need to complete the basic MSF course to take an advanced course?  He has a TX license.

M696 Dark
muskrat

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »

Just follow Ron.
Kidding.  The bike course stinks in my opinion.
At least the course I took

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »

Andy, I'd suggest your friend John look up the MSF website for more info on the Advanced courses. 

http://www.texasmtc.com/FAQ.html#anchor4971554

From what I gather, is that you don't need to have the basic course done before the advanced given that your friend has many years under his belt.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
Ronr

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:29:13 PM »

heh, that's pretty funny Cheesy

I've heard good things about the advanced MSF course.  I wouldn't mind taking that myself.  I could use the insurance discount, plus maybe pick up a few street survival tips.  I bet we could all learn a little something.  That would be fun to get a group together and take the course.  The instructor wouldn't be able to hear himself.  Seriously though, maybe take one in Arlington or somewhere easy for everybody to get to.  Including Andy's friend (dont' wanna threadjack Smiley  )
ThelmaLou

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 01:05:05 PM »

heh, that's pretty funny Cheesy

I've heard good things about the advanced MSF course.  I wouldn't mind taking that myself.  I could use the insurance discount, plus maybe pick up a few street survival tips.  I bet we could all learn a little something.  That would be fun to get a group together and take the course.  The instructor wouldn't be able to hear himself.  Seriously though, maybe take one in Arlington or somewhere easy for everybody to get to.  Including Andy's friend (dont' wanna threadjack Smiley  )
+2

2001 M600
Organ donation will save my fathers life! Give Life! - Be an Organ Donor!
andym

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Just looked at the website, Bedford looks like the best option but 7AM on a Saturday is a bit crazy, especially at this time of year.

M696 Dark
muskrat

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Just looked at the website, Bedford looks like the best option but 7AM on a Saturday is a bit crazy, especially at this time of year.

I was just talking about this with Cher over lunch.  Someone, somewhere has to have a technique on riding book (paging Cyclone).  We can do this ourselves if we can steal enough street cones.  someone needs to stop by Home Depot and buy some 2x4 and tape and we're all set.  I'd be in for this.

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »

I've heard good things about the advanced MSF course.  I wouldn't mind taking that myself.  I could use the insurance discount, plus maybe pick up a few street survival tips.

Is there a further discount for the advanced course if you have also taken the basic? I thought the discount was for the basic, but I could be wrong.

It would be beneficial anyway. I think CDC knows an instructor....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:02:29 PM by caffeinejunkee » Logged
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »

I was just talking about this with Cher over lunch.  Someone, somewhere has to have a technique on riding book (paging Cyclone).  We can do this ourselves if we can steal enough street cones.  someone needs to stop by Home Depot and buy some 2x4 and tape and we're all set.  I'd be in for this.

Go get "Total Control" by Lee Parks.  That book will help you every time you read it.

Go get "Twist of the Wrist" by Keith Code.  That book will help you every time you read it.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
Cyclone
DAS BOOT!

CHAT & SCAT !

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »

Grin I gave my copy of Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough to Bullethead to pass along. It was OK maybe not as speed oriented as Twist or Total more aimed at at street survival.

I was suggesting a DFWM Gymkhana at lunch but it would be cool to have a "real certified instructor"  and maybe get insurance credit.   waytogo 

We used to do Gymkhanas back in my youth as part of SCCA, along with road rallies - they were a blast nad really helped with skills and control.   Cool

I would totally be up for an Advanced course set up specifically for our group !  waytogo

'96 BMW R11 Gs - '72 Honda CT 90
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa
muskrat

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »

Grin I gave my copy of Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough to Bullethead to pass along. It was OK maybe not as speed oriented as Twist or Total more aimed at at street survival.

I was suggesting a DFWM Gymkhana at lunch but it would be cool to have a "real certified instructor"  and maybe get insurance credit.   waytogo 

We used to do Gymkhanas back in my youth as part of SCCA, along with road rallies - they were a blast nad really helped with skills and control.   Cool

I would totally be up for an Advanced course set up specifically for our group !  waytogo

ok you're in charge of finding the cones and road hazard material.  I will get the books and prepare the "to do" list?Huh???

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Ronr

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 04:27:24 PM »

Is there a further discount for the advanced course if you have also taken the basic? I thought the discount was for the basic, but I could be wrong.

It would be beneficial anyway. I think CDC knows an instructor....

I really doubt there is an additional discount, mainly just if your insurance discount expired from the last time you took it.  I've been asked about a recent safety course by the insurance person, not whether it was basic or advanced.  I took basic many years ago, but it don't count no more.  Should be like taking defensive driving for car insurance, which can be done over and over and over....
muskrat

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 04:28:33 PM »

Geico offers a 10% discount for either course but not for doubling-up I'm afraid.  Wife-to-be got her discount for basic and I got mine for advanced course.

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 01:21:59 AM »

I would save it for a "rainy day".

I have had to, in my brief nearing 14 years of riding bikes, figure out how to deal with traffic tickets and I have found that the best strategies were to:

#1. get a Lawyer.  Ask for deferred adjudication. Pay reduced fine and court cost and go on 90 day probation.  If you've already used that strategy then go to,

#2. ask court for defensive driving course and pay court cost. (side note: before asking for a deferred adjudication, ask if there is a way to get a lesser violation, preferrably of the non moving violation type, no seat belts, works for speeding tickets on a motorcycle.  Who knew?  Grin)

#3.  Cool your jets.  you still want to keep your license don't you.

If your offense is while driving a car then take defensive driving.  If your offense is while riding a motorcycle, they used to allow MSF advanced riding course as a defensive driving course equivalent.  I think you should save this strategy for when you actually need it for when you have to deal with a speeding ticket on a bike not just cause you think you're rusty. 

It is essentially a braking skill test and lane change maneuver.  For accident avoidance techniques, read a book.  for other riding skills, follow behind RonR but for god's sake don't try to keep pace  Grin  or go to a track day/class.

Finally, try not to speed and get caught in the same city or county while under probation.  Play somewhere else.  It used to be you could be under probation in different counties at the same time.  It also used to be that you could get differnt probations running almost at the same time as long as the other speeding violation occurred before the court agreed to grant the first one.  Ask me why I know.   Grin

cdc

Disclaimer:  although these strategies have worked for me, you may have a different outcome.  just saying.

James.M

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 06:57:25 AM »

Just follow Ron.

I know he's good at following other people?!  Shocked
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: