Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 06, 2024, 08:24:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: swingarm change  (Read 4074 times)
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« on: May 13, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »

i have an 02 750...

i found a 999/749 rear swingarm with a wheel, and the whole front suspension with wheel.

anyone know how much different the mounting points for the 999 and an 02 monster are?
it looks like most of it should match up pretty well, but I don't know the size of the swingarm pivot bolt.

also, is there a diff in the head tube length on the 999 and monsters?

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:42:51 AM »

i have an 02 750...

i found a 999/749 rear swingarm with a wheel, and the whole front suspension with wheel.

anyone know how much different the mounting points for the 999 and an 02 monster are?
it looks like most of it should match up pretty well, but I don't know the size of the swingarm pivot bolt.

also, is there a diff in the head tube length on the 999 and monsters?

Don't quote me on this, but I bet you could get the swingarm to mount to the motor no problem, it's the upper shock mount that will be an issue. It could be done, but would probably require some fab on the frame.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:39:12 PM »

Cases will need some mod work, and spacers as well.

Upper shock mount will need to change.

AFAIK, the stem on the 999/749 triples is a different diameter, not sure what is necessary to overcome that.

Duck-Stew knows more details.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
KnightofNi
Lift my kilt to see my

still wearing the tin foil hat

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:57:57 PM »

why can't anything just be swapped? Tongue

thanks for the replies guys.

Life, alas is very drear. Up with the glass and down with the beer!
Seriously, when i am 800years old i want to rock like Lemmy! it is a religion that requires lots of determination, drugs, and Marshall stacks.

now with clavicle of steel (stainless) wrist o' steel (11/2011)
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:52:17 PM »

why can't anything just be swapped? Tongue

thanks for the replies guys.

The Monster frame has the shock pivot shifted to the right and the 999 has the shock pivot shifted to the right so some pretty heavy frame mods will need to be done.  Also, the cases will need to be milled just as if you were putting on a 916-era swingarm.  So....not a bolt-on.

Steering head tube?  Different diameter but I don't have any FHE.

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »

I think it would be easier to turn a 749 into a monster than the other way around drink
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 10:36:24 AM »

I think it would be easier to turn a 749 into a monster than the other way around drink

Yeah, but then you'd have a liquid cooled motor... and who wants a radiator anyways.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:31:30 PM »

I am in agreement on the no water cooled thought . It is easy enough to convert to air cooled. Just swap layshaft and left side cover.
If you are in a real hurry you could just cut the ears off of the water pump layshaft. waytogo
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »

I am in agreement on the no water cooled thought . It is easy enough to convert to air cooled. Just swap layshaft and left side cover.
If you are in a real hurry you could just cut the ears off of the water pump layshaft. waytogo

Well that and the whole swapping to air cooled jugs thing...

clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 06:34:44 AM »

And a few other parts such as heads, possibly rods,pistons.

kind of like cooking think of finding all the right ingredients that go together. in the end you could have one cool dish.

I guess I just lean more towards modding the motor because for me that is easier than finding a competent welder to change frame components. I have seen some very hacked up chassis that were made to look cool but unsafe.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:35:15 AM »

And a few other parts such as heads, possibly rods,pistons.

kind of like cooking think of finding all the right ingredients that go together. in the end you could have one cool dish.

I guess I just lean more towards modding the motor because for me that is easier than finding a competent welder to change frame components. I have seen some very hacked up chassis that were made to look cool but unsafe.

A shock pivot isn't a very difficult change. Getting the geometry right is the real issue, not welding on a bracket like that. Since the frame is just mild steel, you should even be able to use a MIG with no concerns. Milling the case pivot down isn't too bad either.

I see what you mean though.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: