Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:10:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timing Belts  (Read 7705 times)
NAKID

« on: May 13, 2008, 11:44:34 AM »

Why is it that Ducati recommends changing the timing belts at 12k miles, but most car manufacturers recommend changing them at 60k-100k?

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
zarn02

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »

the belts are turned over a much smaller wheel, resulting in higher heat and higher stresses on the belt. also, i think most car engines are non-interference, and thus if you break a belt you're just stranded, and not blowing up the top end of the engine.

or that's the tale i've heard passed down.

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »

Chris,

In my opinion, mostly it's a "penalty for failure" issue. In your average auto, if a timing belt breaks, all that happens is the motor won't run, the pistons spin around a few times, and the valves stay where they were, no big deal. You'll have to put the new one on making sure you line up the timing marks. In a worst case scenario you could have bits of belt or chain flying around, but that's why they've all got scatter shields over them.

Ducatis, and other high performance autos, like Ferraris, have "interference" valve design. This means that if the valve is open, and the piston comes up, it's going to smash your valve. Standard motors have clearence so that at TDC the valve can still fully open without obstruction. So, just like Ducati, Ferrari and other such manufacturers will recommend short timing belt change intervals.

The idea isn't that the belts will break more often, but, since the penalty for failure is so high, change them with an extremely safe margain.

That's my .02 at least.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
NAKID

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »

Hmm OK, I see the reason there. But we are talking about 5+ times the change interval.

I'm pretty sure my Nissan 240sx is an interference engine. But, it has a timing chain, not a belt...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »

A friend of my dad's had a Fiat X1/9.
It had a cambelt.
The change intervals were very explicit.
He went past it, and it shucked the belt.
Got the head rebuilt, as it was an interference motor.
Reassembled.
Went past the interval again, and shucked the belt.
Got the head rebuilt, again.
Reassembled, again.
Installed the race-spec belt, and was diligent in replacing the belt on time.
No more problems.

Ducati's interval may be conservative, but beyond that YMMV.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
CETME

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »

Most automobile ARE interference engines. Very very few are not. The only reasonably modern one I can think of right now is the older Ford 2.3 engines used in the early 90's Mustangs and Rangers.

2001 Monster S4
2004 Aprilia Tuono
1992 Honda Nighthawk 750
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:08:43 PM »

Most automobile ARE interference engines. Very very few are not. The only reasonably modern one I can think of right now is the older Ford 2.3 engines used in the early 90's Mustangs and Rangers.

I can attest to that with FHE, my Merkur with the 2.3 Turbo motor shucked a belt with no harm done (other than to my schedule, and my wallet for the towing).

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 03:18:18 PM »

Hmm OK, I see the reason there. But we are talking about 5+ times the change interval.

I'm pretty sure my Nissan 240sx is an interference engine. But, it has a timing chain, not a belt...
If it wasn't for costs...and the fact dry chains were noisy...

we'd still have them and be happy.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »

I can attest to that with FHE, my Merkur with the 2.3 Turbo motor shucked a belt with no harm done (other than to my schedule, and my wallet for the towing).

+2 - my 86 ranger 4cyl broke a belt middle of no-where nebraska, and no damage done.

mitt

A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure they aren't, though many of the newer high performance motors may be, I've seen a lot of timing belts break on cars and it's never been a problem other than a delay.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
MadMark

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »

I'll venture to guess...

Do you think that RPMs have anything to do with belt life?  Guessing that over the life of a Ducati belt it is being subjected to much higher revolutions than most auto's.  Of course I have absolutely zero factual evidence to back that thought up... just a guess.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »

Back in the '70s when compression was lower interference engines were the exception.  Now it is the opposite.

Here is a good resource for finding out if your car has an interference engine:
http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598&go=Interference

Back to our bikes; small sprockets, heat and quick RPM change shorten belt life.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 12:24:20 AM »

Another characteristic of our engines is the uneven firing order, the crank doesn't spin as consistently as you might think.
The variations in crank speed do spike the loading on the belt.

Nearly all automotive engines are more than 4 cylinders, and generally heavy flywheels compared to our bikes, so the cranks turn pretty consistently.
The cams generally serve all cylinders, and all those lobes tend to smooth out the loading.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

hiero

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 05:34:17 AM »

Another characteristic of our engines is the uneven firing order, the crank doesn't spin as consistently as you might think.
The variations in crank speed do spike the loading on the belt.

Nearly all automotive engines are more than 4 cylinders, and generally heavy flywheels compared to our bikes, so the cranks turn pretty consistently.
The cams generally serve all cylinders, and all those lobes tend to smooth out the loading.

oooh, good info, didn't know that  waytogo

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 05:34:13 AM »

As a tech for 20 years, I gotta state you are wrong. There are MORE non-interference engines than there are interference ones. Primarily Honda, Nissan and high perf engines from other mfg's were and are interference. That's why I buy Toyota's non-interference. Plus they are back to using chains!  waytogo  And if ya wanna get totally non-interefence, there is my RX7, no valves, period!!  Cool
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 05:51:05 AM by hypurone » Logged

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: