Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:05:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I raise the rear end  (Read 4481 times)
Kovner

« on: May 13, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »

Blah I've been so confused lately.
How do I raise and lower the rear end?  By adjusting the tie rod?  How do I do that?
fasterblkduc

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:58:56 PM »

Yes. Loosen the jam nuts, (one is left hand thread) and then turn it. It's that easy.

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
Kovner

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »

Yes. Loosen the jam nuts, (one is left hand thread) and then turn it. It's that easy.

Any trick to getting a wrench in there?  There doesn't seem to be much room to get a wrench in there.
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:30:43 PM »

The threads on the tie rod are not lubricated at the factory and can sieze. If you have any difficulty in rotating the shaft, you will be best advised to remove the rod and hold it in a vise. Take a measurement (eye to eye) first then strip the rod, clean and lube the threads with anti sieze, re-assemble and set the length to the distance you measured plus the amount you wish to increase.
Further adjustments can be made with the rod installed.

Capo de tuti capi
Kovner

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »

So do I remove the rod?
The allens at the top and bottom?
Do I need to raise the rear end?
fasterblkduc

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 11:12:40 AM »

If you want to remove the adjuster then yes, support the rear of the bike. I recommend supporting the rear but don't put excessive lift while supporting. In other words, you want to just support it not lift it up. Leave it close to the way it sits when there is no load on it. This will make removing, and replacing the bolts easier because you won't have to fight as hard to align everything.

You could do this by using jackstands on the rearset assy., or by supporting the rear of the frame by some creative method like a rope thrown over a tree branch or something...you get the idea.

If you have a front stand, now is the time to use it. You want to stabilize the front if possible since you'll be moving the back around so much. It would be too bad if you dropped it!!

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 05:52:26 AM »

I did mine like Capo said. Just make sure to measure the ride height at a point that you can use after the adjustment to verify how much you changed the ride height.

I put mine up 1" in the rear and lowered the front 3/8".  Well worth the effort.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
scooby

<~ I am what I am ~>

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 06:10:14 AM »

Any trick to getting a wrench in there?  There doesn't seem to be much room to get a wrench in there.
  laughingdp chug laughingdp Been there done that...

What would ScoobyDoo?
MonsterMan1036

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 06:55:05 AM »

It's a 19mm wrench you need to use, I ground mine down to fit in the swing arm mount. Looks like this:

forgot pic Huh?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:07:59 AM by MonsterMan1036 » Logged

Alex Ortner 1036CS
1036 Foggy Monster (sold)
Commonwealth 848 track bike
1199 Tri
desmobloke

750ie Dark

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:54 PM »

If you need to remove your tie rod to adjust it, or replace the solid one for an adjustable as I did, the bike can be supported by securing a scissor jack between the wheel and frame. With the bike in gear, the wheels chocked and the side stand lashed (and plenty of caution) no other support is required, I found the whole thing to be pretty stable. The spacing can be easily adjusted to make fitment easy, and the job can be done in the yard with no special tools. I pulled this off but don't try to sue if it goes belly up... Cheers

Ahh! Summer changes everything. BARMAN!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: