Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bicycle shopping. Need a little help.  (Read 4390 times)
swerdna

« on: May 14, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »

Hey, guys. I'm here because I saw an "official bike thread" and thought that maybe a few of you might be able to help me with this...

I'm buying a bicycle. I have it narrowed down to two models...

GTR Series 2 and Scattante 660

I'm going to be doing friendly rides... 30 - 50 miles... commuting to work (hopefully).

The prices are very similar. The real problem is the carbon seat stay on the Scattante. I like the GTR a lot. I like the way it looks. I like the way it feels. I'm just afraid that if I get the GTR that I will wish I had bought the Scattante for the seat stay.

Do you guys have anything to say about carbon seat stays? Will I be kicking myself for not buying the bike with the carbon seat stay?

Thanks.

GTRScat
LooksX
Carbon Seat StayX
Components(shifter, fd, rd)105/105/Dura AceUltegra/105/Ultegra
WheelsShimanoAlex???
BrakesShimano 105Tektro
Front GearingCompactStandard
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:27:29 PM by swerdna » Logged
DesmoDiva

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »

Can you go to a local shop and try two bikes out, one with and without the carbon seat stays.

I'm also in the process of purchasing a road bike and the best advice I can give is try before buy, if at all possible.

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
swerdna

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »

Can you go to a local shop and try two bikes out, one with and without the carbon seat stays.

I'm also in the process of purchasing a road bike and the best advice I can give is try before buy, if at all possible.

Yes. I have ridden both. They were both great. And that's part of the problem.

I liked the compact gearing on the GTR... but that will probably fade with time as I get used to one or the other.

I really really like the look of the GTR... and I can't really tell the difference in stiffness/road noise between the two on the test rides that I have done. I'm thinking that I am going to need a longer ride to really be able to figure out how I feel about this carbon seat stay business... which is kind of why I am here bugging you guys.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:30:58 PM by swerdna » Logged
DesmoDiva

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:25:38 PM »

I would think after riding you would have a clear winner.  If not, I don't know.  Compare compontentry, etc.  Buy the better value.

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 03:29:13 PM »

The most important criteria when selecting a bike is the fit, then the frame, then the wheels, then the individual components.  Remember that wheels and components can also be upgraded later on.

The main advantage of the carbon fork and seatpost is to give you a more comfortable ride, reduce vibrations from rough roads, etc. 

However test rides are very important.  If you think that the GTR feels better, I would say you should go with that one.

Also if you have any hills on your rides you will prefer the compact on the GTR.

good luck!

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
DesmoDiva

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »

Listen to her.  She is more knowledgible than I. 

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
swerdna

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »

I think I need some more seat time on the Scattante to be able to tell which is the better fit. I'm "comfy" on both. The guys at the bicycle shop think it's funny that I keep coming in for test rides on the GTR. Grin

I'm not doing anything tonight... maybe I'll do that...

Oh! I should add!!! Both have carbon seat posts.
DesmoDiva

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »

I think I need some more seat time on the Scattante to be able to tell which is the better fit. I'm "comfy" on both. The guys at the bicycle shop think it's funny that I keep coming in for test rides on the GTR. Grin

I'm not doing anything tonight... maybe I'll do that...

Oh! I should add!!! Both have carbon seat posts.

Sounds like your mind is already made up.  Go in tonight, set down your $$, and walk out a happy man. 

Go home open a  drink and sit on your couch while oggleing your new ride.   waytogo

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 03:55:12 PM »

See if you can get a longer test ride on both bikes, and try them on a variety of terrain, flats, hills, smooth, rough. 

swerdna

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »

Thanks for your help, guys. I really appreciate it.

And yeah... at this point... I'm just looking for someone to come in and tell me that once they got a bike with carbon seat stays that they will never go back to full aluminum.

Barring that... it's  coffee  [moto]  drink and then  cheeky.
BlackHills

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »

And yeah... at this point... I'm just looking for someone to come in and tell me that once they got a bike with carbon seat stays that they will never go back to full aluminum.

While I haven't ridden either bike, I have ridden a few AL road bikes.  I'd never own one, they ride way too rough for me. 

Did that help? Grin

Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 08:24:42 PM »

I'm going to be doing friendly rides... 30 - 50 miles... commuting to work (hopefully).

You _might_ find that's two different bikes there...

There's some interesting advice for "commuter bike you fully expect to get stolen about once a year" here:

http://jwz.livejournal.com/883988.html

Definitely doesn't apply to the 50mile social ride bike, but if you've not got a secure place to keep the bike while at work, a beater that cost less than your good groupset might be a good idea as well...

big

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »

There's some funny stuff at that link. laughingdp laughingdp

Never take bike advice from anyone who owns bike shorts, clip shoes, a messenger bag, or a fixie. That's like taking car advice from someone who enjoys rebuilding carburetors.

Bike maintenance: don't do it, ever. It's not worth your time. Just take it to the shop. Getting them to replace a flat for you costs $20 and takes 10 minutes, including the tube, and you don't get dirty.

It's a good idea to know how to change a flat, but why do it yourself when you can pay someone else almost-nothing to get greasy on your behalf?

bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 08:46:54 PM »

There's some funny stuff at that link. laughingdp laughingdp

You should seen it _before_ he pruned the comments! _Geez_ some of the bike-geeks take offence easily.

big

swerdna

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 09:10:52 PM »

Awesome link, bigiain! Cheesy

EDIT:

It's a sad, sad day when "boobies" loses out to "GTR Series 2" (or anything else for that matter). Grin
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:06:18 PM by swerdna » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: