Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:30:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fork Oil Change How To Request  (Read 8830 times)
Sgt_H

« on: May 14, 2008, 06:27:48 PM »

Anyone have a how to on fork oil and spring changes?

Sgt_H
Banned
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:33:41 PM »

thanks to mangeldbug

http://www.squidbusters.com/sb/showthread.php?t=7816

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Sgt_H

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 06:36:51 PM »

Thanks man,  waytogo

Sgt_H
Banned
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:40:54 PM »

yeah, once you do it, it's pretty easy.  jsut getting thru it the first time is tricky..

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Sgt_H

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »

It looks like it.  The how to doesn't show how to get the fork off, but I'll figure it out.  I'm thinking front wheel off, loosen the triples and they should slide out?  I'm looking at new springs at the same time so it's good to know how easy the springs are to change.

Sgt_H
Banned
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »

yes, BUT

you have to have a good way to re-position the fork in the triple.  here is how i do it:

1.  remove wheel.
2.  remove calipers and use some bungees to hang them from the frame, not by the hose.
3.  remove ONE fork.  don't touch the other one or loosen screws.  do your oil change.
4.  Now use a micrometer and measure where the remaining fork is in the triple.  Reposition the removed fork back into the triple at the exact height above the triple.  Tighten the upper and lower screws enough to hold it (don't need to torque it yet)
5.  R&R the other one.  Rinse, repeat.
6.  Torque the screws properly.

The big issue is having a good way to know how high up the fork is.  I just leave one in and use a digital micrometer and measure off the remaining one.

Some people measure things before hand then do the swapout, but i have too much going on in my head and too many quaaludes in my system to remember that shit.

Sgt_H

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 05:16:01 AM »

This is getting bookmarked with my spring rate thread.  Thanks for the info ducatizzz.  BTW your clown avatar freaked out my wife lol

Sgt_H
Banned
gage

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »

yes, BUT

you have to have a good way to re-position the fork in the triple.  here is how i do it:

3.  remove ONE fork.  don't touch the other one or loosen screws.  do your oil change.
4.  Now use a micrometer and measure where the remaining fork is in the triple.  Reposition the removed fork back into the triple at the exact height above the triple.  Tighten the upper and lower screws enough to hold it (don't need to torque it yet)

The big issue is having a good way to know how high up the fork is.  I just leave one in and use a digital micrometer and measure off the remaining one.

I agree that you need to be careful when repositioning the forks in the triple but tend to favor the more accurate, perhaps anal, method below over the one described above.

The reason I disagree is because fork tubes are hardly ever the same length so measuring from the top of the triple to the top of the fork cap can yeild entirerly different positions for the forks at the axle clamps.

I recomend measuring from a fixed point on the lower triple down to another fixed point at the bottom of the axle clamp. Then use the same fixed points and match the measurement on the other side when repositioning the forks.  Once both are done and where you think they should be slide the axle through both forks and check to see that it spins freely by hand.

Hope this helps!

Gage

A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »

Just as addition to what was said above, after I reassemble forks, I usually cycle the suspension a number of times by bounching the bars, then lift the front again, and just loosen all the pinch bolts slightly so that any stresses will sort of work their way out, then tighten it up again, and ride away.

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Sgt_H

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »

Thanks for the help.  I probably won't be doing this for a couple weeks yet but I'll let you know how it goes.

Sgt_H
Banned
fasterblkduc

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:30:26 AM »

SgtH, Are you going to the next Italian Night? Come talk to me there about your forks if you want. I can give you pointers and a copy of the Ducati manual for this job. I would also recommend making sure that your new springs have some preload on them. They need some preload to get into the working range properly. It's easy to do by adjusting the spacer at the bottom.
Just come to the next gathering, and I'll explain this stuff to you.  waytogo

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
Sgt_H

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »

SgtH, Are you going to the next Italian Night? Come talk to me there about your forks if you want. I can give you pointers and a copy of the Ducati manual for this job. I would also recommend making sure that your new springs have some preload on them. They need some preload to get into the working range properly. It's easy to do by adjusting the spacer at the bottom.
Just come to the next gathering, and I'll explain this stuff to you.  waytogo
laughingdp

I'm planning on being there.  I start a new job that day so it might be a little sketchy but I shouldn't have a problem making it.  Thanks for the help  chug  (I love these new smileys)

Sgt_H
Banned
fasterblkduc

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »

pm me if you need to

chug

I like 'em too

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 05:17:54 AM »

I agree that you need to be careful when repositioning the forks in the triple but tend to favor the more accurate, perhaps anal, method below over the one described above.

The reason I disagree is because fork tubes are hardly ever the same length so measuring from the top of the triple to the top of the fork cap can yeild entirerly different positions for the forks at the axle clamps.

I recomend measuring from a fixed point on the lower triple down to another fixed point at the bottom of the axle clamp. Then use the same fixed points and match the measurement on the other side when repositioning the forks.  Once both are done and where you think they should be slide the axle through both forks and check to see that it spins freely by hand.

Hope this helps!

Gage

that works too, i should have mentioned that i do it before and after. before to make sure they match...

works for me.

mangeldbug

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »

lol, hey I was just about to post that up over here!  Thanks for linking me Smiley

2002 M750Si.e. "Senna" - Meravigliosa, Mera for short
2017 390 Duke Commuter
2001 XT225 Zombie Assault Vehicle
1987 YSR50 #116 race bike
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: