Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 02:06:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB 506 Lane Splitting bill - I need your help!!  (Read 9763 times)
azoomm

« on: March 11, 2009, 07:45:55 AM »

Hello ladies and gents! I've been asked to speak for a proposed bill next Wednesday [18th]. This bill is named "Lane Splitting", though I wish they would have called it Lane Filtering instead.

The idea is, in traffic 20mph or slower you can move through cars not exceeding 5mph faster than traffic. Basically, filter to the front - either through traffic or at lights where the road is two or more lanes on your side of the road. The motorcyclist and passenger [if applicable] must wear helmets - and their path of travel must go where a car cannot follow [cannot drive on the shoulder or median].

I need responsible riders to come with to the capital. The opposition for this bill is from other motorcyclists. The opposition is upset that they are having helmets "forced" upon them. I don't see it that way - in fact, it was explained to me by John Carona's associate the helmet factor was added to the bill after it failed twice due to perceived dangers. They added the helmet piece as a concession... we want something, they want something... compromise.

The hearing is next Wednesday the 18th at 7:30-8:00 am At the Capital extension in Austin [1400 Congress]

I want people showing up looking like the responsible riders we are - even if you don't ride there. PLEASE wear a jacket, carry gloves and a helmet. If our primary opposition on this are the bikers for head freedom, we want to look like the SAFE ones... if we market this right the cagers will be on OUR side because it will make motorcycling "safer" by default.

Anyone able to help me build a small army?

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:52:12 AM »

hell yeah. Where do we have to be?

azoomm

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:54:55 AM »

hell yeah. Where do we have to be?

Capitol Extension room E1.016,

El Matador

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »

Capitol Extension room E1.016,

Austin I presume?

azoomm

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:01:02 AM »

Yes, at the Capital building.

El Matador

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »

Cool. I'm gonna be round them parts that week. So I will try my best to show up.

gh0stie
All I ever wanted as a kid was to be a

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »

Can someone explain to me why Lane Splitting is a good thing?

seems like it would only further aggravate cagers

and worse, create one more potentially hazardous situation for us while try to squeeze through inattentive drivers

I'm a cyclist as well and even on my bicycle in traffic, I don't "filter" through cars to get to the front

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I haven't really followed the debate till this point, and I'm honestly trying to get some more insight behind the logic.

MurDuc

2003 M1000S

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:57:29 AM »

Um.

I am betting your not wearing full leathers and a full face helmet on your bicycle.  Wink

Sitting in stopped traffic, on an air cooled bike, propely dressed in full protective gear, on a nice 98 degree 95% humidity Texas day because some idiots touched bumpers and decided to park on the express way, seems pretty stupid and even unsafe, given the ability to "filter" past, or at least up to the next exit to take an alternate route.

J

Master of Suds / LSD - Department of Hooliganism
♣ McKraut ♣

touched by his noodly appendage

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »

Um.

I am betting your not wearing full leathers and a full face helmet on your bicycle.  Wink

Sitting in stopped traffic, on an air cooled bike, propely dressed in full protective gear, on a nice 98 degree 95% humidity Texas day because some idiots touched bumpers and decided to park on the express way, seems pretty stupid and even unsafe, given the ability to "filter" past, or at least up to the next exit to take an alternate route.

J

i'm with the dude here.... texas summers do not agree with me at all; i need air flow, damn it!  and i feel even worse for my bike when we're at a standstill.  when i had my supersport, it was absolutely cooking when at a stop...and i would frequently take it out towards the shoulder just to keep some air going over the oil cooler.  i think there would be some hurdles to overcome at first, but with enough effort put into informing the public about this, i think it would be a huge benefit to have and something people would adjust to over time.  i'm not saying we'll turn into san francisco overnight, but i would hope that people would learn to mellow out and respect people on motos just trying to do their thing and get through traffic.

of course, for every responsible person on a motorcycle, there are probably 10 squids that like to ruin how people in cages view riders.

2001 M600 Dark  2005 S2R Dark  2001 M750  1996 900 SS/SP  2005 S4R
-  Dallas, TX
hiero

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 10:40:09 AM »

actually, from what I understand, lanesplitting's biggest advantage overall, to every motorist on the road, is to help traffic flow.  Allowing the motorbikes to move through opens up space for other traffic and overall helps traffic flow.  This is especially poignant because lanesplitting is only allowed when traffic is going VERY slow and not when it is moving at a normal clip.

2000 Monster 750
1999 748
YELLOW!!
Pedro-bot

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 12:12:28 PM »

+1 on what David said.

A personal experience I've had with gridlock on the highway is the hair raising experience of hearing tires screeching behind you when you find yourself on your bike and at a total stand still on the freeway. The last thing I want to be is the meat of a cage sammich.  Tongue

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
Drjones

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »

What ^ said.

I split lanes a total of three times over the two years on the monster.  Once was because the engine was running high 290's.  One was to keep from being rear ended by a car. The third was to get away from an inatentive semi driver who almost idled into me.  All three times were in stop and go traffic.

That said I'd not split on a regular basis without a public awareness campaign as people get too defensive about "their space" on the road and will try to run you off or into something to keep you behind them.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:57:17 PM by Drjones » Logged

"Live like no one else now, so that you can live like no one else tomorrow."

"Wealth is more often the result of a lifestyle of hard work, perseverance, planning, and, most of all, self discipline.”

"Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness."
Gone Ape

Boom-Shaka-Laka.....So much for my Titanium Member

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »

Zoomie, work permitting, I'll be there.....

Being a motorcyclist from California:  It is clearly very difficult for Texans (which I now am) to wrap their hands around the lane splitting debate...if only for  reason of never having experienced the process. Studies show majority of m/c accidents involving cars  in Cali are not on the freeway at all....very small percentage v. miles ridden...

We bikers know the risks when we ride.  Virtually every biker I see riding (except SpeedTrpl) is alert and watching...the real problem is cell phoners, texters, make-up queens and radio fiddlers...But we ride with those 'tards daily anyway...education about the (hopefully) new law will be paramount for all the high school/college kids out there who don't understand their vehicles are deadly missles..

We're doing our part for fuel economy, traffic density, air pollution even parts recycling...so we should be granted respect of an extra "lane" when things get grid locked.

Always one to be underestimated
2CardDuc

Il Mostro S4R

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 07:30:21 PM »

Having spent a few years in So Cal myself, lanesplitting is a way of life.  I welcome the change to Texas highways!!!  waytogo  Last week I was in San Dog and the cagers were much more aware (no cell phone use) behind the wheel than our easy going locals.  Outlawing cell phone use should go hand in hand w/lane splitting.  Love Austin, but the drivers scare the hell out of me on the Duc or in a cage... Shocked       
azoomm

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 06:33:41 AM »

actually, from what I understand, lanesplitting's biggest advantage overall, to every motorist on the road, is to help traffic flow.  Allowing the motorbikes to move through opens up space for other traffic and overall helps traffic flow.  This is especially poignant because lanesplitting is only allowed when traffic is going VERY slow and not when it is moving at a normal clip.

Imagine traffic as a box filled baseballs - drop in a marble, and it goes to the bottom.  Now, imagine the baseballs are cars - and marbles motorcycles... AND if it is appealing, more of those baseballs are removed and become marbles [no, not LOSE their marbles *chuckle*].  It keeps things moving.

OK, anyone and everyone else - I need you to send your Senator a message with your support for SB506.  At the same time, send Senator John Carona a message as well.  It takes just a moment, and will get us so much farther.  We need humans showing up, but if I can't have everyone there - I need at least a stack of printed emails.

We NEED a voice.  And, right now our voice is the TMRA - google it, I wouldn't want them linking back to here.  THEY are our voice.  They are making the legislature think WE want them talking for us - that is, if we don't do it ourselves.

Here's the contact info for the Senators:

Chair: Sen. John Carona (Introduced Bill)
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members/dist16/dist16.htm

Vice Chair: Sen. Kirk Watson
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members/dist14/dist14.htm

Sen. Wendy Davis
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members/dist10/dist10.htm

Sen. Rodney Ellis
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members/dist13/dist13.htm

Sen. Joan Huffman
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members/dist17/dist17.htm

Sen. Robert Nichols
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members/dist3/dist3.htm

Sen. Florence Shapiro
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members/dist8/dist8.htm

Sen. Eliot Shapleigh
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members/dist29/dist29.htm

Sen. Jeff Wentworth
http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members/dist25/dist25.htm

When contacting, reference Texas SB 506 so they know what you're talking about.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: