Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:53:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: failed emissons  (Read 3181 times)
azsaljr

« on: March 12, 2009, 06:32:52 AM »

I have a 98 m900 that has FCRs, high compression pistons, 2 bros slip on exhaust, and open airbox. I failed emisson with a CO = 6.9% (< 5.5 is passing). Passed hydrocarbons with a 400. Is it possible to attain maximum performance with this setup AND pass AZ emissons and if so, who would you recommend? Thanks.
Dietrich

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:32:28 AM »

You should be able to lean it out a little and get it to pass.  Have you tuned it up recently? Spark plugs/synced the carbs?  Changed or cleaned the air filter?  Also sometimes raising the idle speed helps with emissions because it burns a little more efficiently with higher RPM.  Give a call to any of the local Ducati shops to see if they can work with your set up:

Ducati Superstore
GoAZ (Ducati Scottsdale)
AZ Superbike
Tom's Italian Tune & Service
Sun Valley Cycle

SheMonster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:34:10 AM »

Sun Valley Cycles closed their doors at the beginning of the year  Sad
Dietrich

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:36:06 AM »

Their website says "under new ownership" and has a 2009 copyright at the bottom of the web page...I guess a call is in order, I keep getting mixed messages wether or not they're closed.

azsaljr

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:00:46 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I just recently added the hi comp pistions and haven't had a chance to do a tune up. I guess I have to take it in to the shop and see what they can do.
Monster Dave

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:48:43 AM »

Their website says "under new ownership" and has a 2009 copyright at the bottom of the web page...I guess a call is in order, I keep getting mixed messages wether or not they're closed.

We drove by SVC shop last weekend and the shop is closed - the name has been removed from the building.
SheMonster
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:51:14 AM »

I looked and saw that too, so I called Duane to find out what is up.  He himself is no longer with Sun Valley Cycles and has taken his professional career in a new completely unrelated non-motorcycle direction.  Sun Valley Cycles is indeed under new ownership/management.  He was under the impression the new owners were opening April 1, but could be open now he wasn't sure.  
DG

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »

My 95 M900 has large HC pistons with open box and Termis. I opted to use a K&N with Stage 2 jetting in the stock caarbs. It wraps out 80hp with 78 ft lbs and has never come close to failing emmisions in 13 years...most likely because I did an opt out on the FCR's...they are well known for their tempermental operation regarding OAT, altitude, etc.  They're great carbs but seem to need rejetting summer to winter or sea level to 6000 feet to run well.  (that's my 2 cents)  DG

"I'm really busy with something not important."
azsaljr

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:20:10 AM »

Yeah, previously I had the stock carbs with factory pro jetting, open airbox and slipons and had no problems with emissions. However, the FCRs are just too fun to not have. FYI to everyone, I was able to pass  by a combination of leaning the air/fuel mix and doing the adding denatured alcohol to fuel trick.  I am still going to bring in the bike to get a tune up to make sure the bike is at it's peak performance. Hopefully the bill to do away with emissions testing for motorcycles will go into effect before I have to renew next year.
NAKID

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 11:23:27 AM »

You should be able to lean it out a little and get it to pass.  Have you tuned it up recently? Spark plugs/synced the carbs?  Changed or cleaned the air filter?  Also sometimes raising the idle speed helps with emissions because it burns a little more efficiently with higher RPM.  Give a call to any of the local Ducati shops to see if they can work with your set up:

Ducati Superstore
GoAZ (Ducati Scottsdale)
AZ Superbike
Tom's Italian Tune & Service
Sun Valley Cycle

When did Ducati Scottsdale change their name to GoAZ?

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
SheMonster
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 02:02:48 PM »

When the Go Daddy guy bought it.
NAKID

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »

When the Go Daddy guy bought it.

Are you freaking kidding me? When did that happen? See, I leave AZ and everything goes to hell...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
AZMonsterMan

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »

I drove by the new address SVC has on their website the other day and they have the sign from the old place up at their new address and a big sign up saying under new ownership. Their website says they are having a Grand Re-opening on April 4th. Just be careful when going there the shop is right across the street from the Mesa Courthouse at McQueen and 60 and there are officers all over the place there.

"It was on the tip of everyone's tongue, we just gave it a name." 
                                -Fight Club
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 06:30:30 PM »

You can make FCR's pass smog -- you just need someone who knows what they are doing and has a C02 meter.  Usually pretty simple.  Once you pass, richen it back up so it runs properly.

Also with FCR's, I used to tune for Winter / Summer.  Given all the mods to my bike/engine -- it was required given the temperature change. (living in Washington now -- it stays the same year round)

Simplest trick to pass smog with FCR's and radical engine:  go put "race fuel' into the tank -- the real high octane good stuff.  Not cheap.  Get the engine hot and run through the test.  Passed every single time without problem.  (even if it failed with the same "engine tune" but running elcheapo unleaded the first time)

Alternate solutions: (that others I know have tried)

- ran their bikes on alcohol after serious major rejetting changes to make work
- slap on stock carbs and pass the test.  Swap back to your FCRs when you get home. (there used to be a couple of folks with spare carbs setup to do this in the Valley years ago)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: