Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:04:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penske or Ohlins???  (Read 9392 times)
Ivan

Turn 3 at Streets of Willow

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 07:14:08 AM »

With all this positive talk of Penske.... do they also make internals for our forks??

Sold: 2007 S2R1000 for canyon carving and commuting - DP ECU, PCIII, BMC air filter with open box, Zard full exhaust, Race-tech fork internals, Ohlins steering damper, and a Penske 8987 triple clicker

2000 996XU (extra ugly) for track days - BST carbon wheels, Ohlins shock, reworked fork, FBF exhaust, and a bunch of megacycle rocker arms. The rest of it is junk - Hey, I'm just happy that it runs...

Sold: 2002 Aprilia RST1000 for touring - De-restricted airbox, Taylormade Racing exhaust
ICON
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 07:48:19 AM »

I had the Penske 8983 on my 2003 620 Monster and I absolutely loved it! I bought it at the link below. I think when I had it the model number was different and it had 3 or so clicks less, but it was still awesome.

I also had the Elka 3-way on my R1, but they sent me the wrong Spring rate. That pissed me off..

If I didn't have the Ohlin's in my S4RS already, I would definitely gone with a Penske again. I just might go that route in the near future with my S2R1000.

Good luck brother and ride safe.

I bought mine here and the guy I worked with was great.
http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_22&zenid=15cb2918f48a5886e563df9aa8631c3b
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »

i will probably be getting it installed at flight cycles so i'd have him order it for me. i just hope he can give me competitive pricing.

Flight Cycles has done a few things on my bike and I have been really happy with the communication and service that I got from the head mechanic (Stewart).  He has been more that fair with me.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
teddy037.2
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »

thanks for the input folks!

i thought i'd get a bunch of ohlins' fans but not one person recommended them...

i think i'm sold on the penske's  waytogo

+1

looks like I can go shopping next payday  Grin
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 11:53:36 PM »

+1

looks like I can go shopping next payday  Grin

teddy, i'm with you bro...next payday...f*ck the rent, i want some penske's.
actually it seems they're more bang for the buck than ohlins.

where are all the ohlins fans anyways...

S4 Foggy- tires, battery...
'04 BMW Boxer Cup Replika (R1100S)
BE WATER
A.B

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 05:48:04 AM »

With all this positive talk of Penske.... do they also make internals for our forks??
Penske does make fork internals.  At least,  I know they do for superbike forks.  My friend just bought a 748 that had a penske fork kit installed.
T-byrd

Yellow, not the fastest color...just the most fun.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 06:29:56 AM »

I'm an Ohlins fan, have 'em on front and back...only I need a new rear spring, mine is two sizes too big.  The only time my bike feels 100% at this point is when it's got the saddle bags loaded up...but holy shit does it feel awesome!  waytogo

If ever I buy a different bike I would have the suspension upgrades waiting to be installed before the bike even got into my possession.

Penske suspension is also amazing, I could never say a bad thing about them.  Either way you go you will be beyond happy.  Good luck!  waytogo

T

00 M900, Il Cianghiale
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 08:21:17 PM »

Okay, here's an Ohlins fan for you.  I've got the Multistrada S with full Ohlins front and rear, and the '08 Monster S4RS Tricolore with full Ohlins as well.  Absolutely fabulous!  A couple of clicks in either direction on compression or rebound, front or rear, is very noticeable and makes the bike very easy to set up for my weight and riding style.  My SS has pretty well sorted Showas, but the Ohlins on the other bikes just slays it.  With the Ohlins I can flat-out rail over bump-infested straights, corner entries, apexes, whatever and the bike just stays planted and never headshakes.  I'm so spoiled by them that I don't think I could consider another bike not equipped with Ohlins suspension.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »

Id like to get a new rear shock.  Im on a budget.  Where should I look?  Id consider Ohlins or Penske.

Thanks!

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
teddy037.2
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »

I had the Penske 8983 on my 2003 620 Monster and I absolutely loved it! I bought it at the link below. I think when I had it the model number was different and it had 3 or so clicks less, but it was still awesome.

I also had the Elka 3-way on my R1, but they sent me the wrong Spring rate. That pissed me off..

If I didn't have the Ohlin's in my S4RS already, I would definitely gone with a Penske again. I just might go that route in the near future with my S2R1000.

Good luck brother and ride safe.

I bought mine here and the guy I worked with was great.
http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_22&zenid=15cb2918f48a5886e563df9aa8631c3b

ok... this shock seems to be the one I'm keen on going w/... so if they're ride height adjustable, should I bother messing w/the adjustable linkage I bought (but never installed), or is that some kind of generic description, seeing as how the section is for 'ducati' and not model specific?
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 08:54:47 AM »

Really the "ride height" adjustability they're talking about is the preload adjustment.  More or less preload will set your sag, which in turn means you are raising or lowering your ride height.  This is not the same as the adjustable link which will vastly increase the amount of height adjustment available.  The best overall solution is the adjustable link to set your ideal ride height, and then the spring preload adjustment on the shock will give you the initial resistance in your spring's reaction.  Remember that your spring rate is a fixed number.  Preload doesn't change the real stiffness of the spring or shock, but only affects the initial resistance to the spring's compression.  Once it's encountered a bump and begins to compress, the spring will always compress at the same rate.  Preload only affects the initial resistance to that compression, making it seem stiffer or lighter, as well as slightly raising or lowering the bike by allowing it to slightly settle on the spring, or not.  Set your preload to your satisfaction, then set your desired ride height with the adjustable link.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
teddy037.2
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »

but... they mention preload.

Quote from: item description
Penske's new 8983 shock. Adjustable for preload, ride height, compression and rebound. Offers a wider low speed compression adjustment range than the 8981.
ducrider45

Just Ride!

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 10:09:46 AM »

Really the "ride height" adjustability they're talking about is the preload adjustment.  More or less preload will set your sag, which in turn means you are raising or lowering your ride height.  This is not the same as the adjustable link which will vastly increase the amount of height adjustment available.  The best overall solution is the adjustable link to set your ideal ride height, and then the spring preload adjustment on the shock will give you the initial resistance in your spring's reaction.  Remember that your spring rate is a fixed number.  Preload doesn't change the real stiffness of the spring or shock, but only affects the initial resistance to the spring's compression.  Once it's encountered a bump and begins to compress, the spring will always compress at the same rate.  Preload only affects the initial resistance to that compression, making it seem stiffer or lighter, as well as slightly raising or lowering the bike by allowing it to slightly settle on the spring, or not.  Set your preload to your satisfaction, then set your desired ride height with the adjustable link.
The Penske does have a ride hight adjustment that is seperate from preload. the preload is set by the threaded spring retainer/preload adjustment ring. It comes with a tool that fits into the ring. the ride hight adjustment is a small ring at the base of the shock. You will not need the adjusable linkage. I used the penske 2way on my project. The ride hight adjustment on the shock was more than enough.

Cop: "That thing is so nasty I can't bring myself to write you a ticket."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
 those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
 Thomas Jefferson

Washington D.C. area riders check out CAM on the local boards.
teddy037.2
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »

The Penske does have a ride hight adjustment that is seperate from preload. the preload is set by the threaded spring retainer/preload adjustment ring. It comes with a tool that fits into the ring. the ride hight adjustment is a small ring at the base of the shock. You will not need the adjusable linkage. I used the penske 2way on my project. The ride hight adjustment on the shock was more than enough.

looks like I'll have a linkage FS soon then!  Grin
dlearl476

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 07:30:01 PM »

where are all the ohlins fans anyways...

Here's one. 

But I have to say, apparently you guys have all the luck.   I've never got to ride with a Penske, so I can't address that, but my ATTEMPTS to buy Penske have been disasters.  First time, I got the runaround re: an application for my BMW F650 which ended with a kind-of snotty "we don't make shocks for dirt bikes."  Huh?  (I was asking about a shock that wouldn't bottom when I went off-road.)
The second attempt, for my Triumph Sprint ST, I spent over an hour on the phone, over the course of two days, sussing out the options, talking to the engineers about street, track, touring options, only to be asked, when I was ready to slap cash on the barrelhead "What year is your Daytona?" DAYTONA, WTF, I have an ST.  bang head "Oh, we don't make a shock for an ST." Roll Eyes

In closing, let me say, I LOVE my Ohlins.  All four of them.  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: