Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:01:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penske or Ohlins???  (Read 9391 times)
hydra

life is analog...

« on: May 15, 2008, 11:19:32 AM »

hello,

EDIT: oops, I meant this thread to be "ohlins or penske"....

i'm looking to upgrade my rear shocks. i guess there's 2 main choices...Ohlins or penske.

can anyone give me feedback running either of these shocks?

i have an '02 Foggy. i do mostly canyon carving and the occasional track day.

thanks
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 03:57:07 PM by hydra » Logged

S4 Foggy- tires, battery...
'04 BMW Boxer Cup Replika (R1100S)
BE WATER
ducducgooseme
Local Moderator

Same ole DesmoDevil, in a more gentle package

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »

There are more than two choices...  you also can go with Ohlins, Matris, Icon...

Anyway, I have the Penske and LOVE it.  Very smooth compared to the stock Showa.

Good luck

If you love your bike, set it free.
If it comes back to you, you've
probably high-sided.
c_rex

Quick! Into the transmogrifier!

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »

Put a PM out to Magnus wrt the Penske.  You can do a search on his bike "Black Fog" and see what he's posted already.  Get yourself a drool cloth though if you do.  That bike is the boom-shockalacka (not my word but it works)!

"It ain't cool being no jive turkey this close to Thanksgiving."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkHHsoKRP8&eurl=http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »

I've always loved the Penske shocks and they come in a variety of flavors and prices.  Frankly, if you get the cheapest version, it'll still be great and make your bike feel better than it ever has.  They custom spring each one for you, so no worries about have the wrong spring rate on them either.  If you're going to buy one, I highly recommend Traxxion Dynamics in GA, Max McAllister knows his shit and is a super-nice guy.
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »

Put a PM out to Magnus wrt the Penske.  You can do a search on his bike "Black Fog" and see what he's posted already.  Get yourself a drool cloth though if you do.  That bike is the boom-shockalacka (not my word but it works)!

cRex, yes i've drooled over his bike before...boom-shockalacka!

BE WATER
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »

I only use Penske rear shocks.  I can get them valved / sprung -- it is amazing what you can do with them.  And there are a lot of folks out there that can do it -- racecar shops, etc (you don't need a motorcycle only shop to work/order them).

Even a base model Penske is magnitudes better than the stock rear shock on your bike -- and relatively affordable also.  Definitely worthwhile upgrade.

Cider

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »

Whichever you decide to get, make sure that they put the correct spring on for your weight.  Double-check their work, too.  I had to send mine back twice: once because it was the wrong model (and spring), and the second time because it was the wrong spring.
MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »

cRex, yes i've drooled over his bike before...boom-shockalacka!

{thread drift} Black Fog is even better in person -- and incredible to ride.  I've mentioned it before, but it's like the conquering Roman soldier rolling into the Rome Coliseum on his powerful chariot with all eyes upon you and the trumpets blaring in the background.  It can't be missed.  It truly is a unique Monster.  I'm sure the folks in Morristown, NJ have experienced its presence a time or two... {end thread drift}

Agreed on the spring -- give them an accurate weight also! (and if you can get the spring color changed -- bonus!)

hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 01:00:35 PM »

Whichever you decide to get, make sure that they put the correct spring on for your weight.  Double-check their work, too.  I had to send mine back twice: once because it was the wrong model (and spring), and the second time because it was the wrong spring.

yes, SpeedDog mentioned the same thing to me.

BTW, nice work on your bike...you should be proud  waytogo

BE WATER
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 04:02:05 PM »

I think Penske shocks are better than Ohlins.  If anything they are just as good and do not get enough street cred....Everyone is so obsessed with Ohlins. 

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »

thanks for the input folks!

i thought i'd get a bunch of ohlins' fans but not one person recommended them...

i think i'm sold on the penske's  waytogo

BE WATER
darylbowden
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 05:00:56 PM »

thanks for the input folks!

i thought i'd get a bunch of ohlins' fans but not one person recommended them...

i think i'm sold on the penske's  waytogo

Don't get me wrong, Ohlins are nice.  But, I'd never trade a Penske for one.  There's a reason my last 4 bikes have had Penskes on them.
fasterblkduc

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 05:06:22 PM »

I've always loved the Penske shocks and they come in a variety of flavors and prices.  Frankly, if you get the cheapest version, it'll still be great and make your bike feel better than it ever has.  They custom spring each one for you, so no worries about have the wrong spring rate on them either.  If you're going to buy one, I highly recommend Traxxion Dynamics in GA, Max McAllister knows his shit and is a super-nice guy.

+1...all true

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
scoprire

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »

+1 for the Penske.  I got one used from a show bike. I called Penske to ask about the spring weight.  They asked a few questions and then said they'd check out what was suggested.  They called me back within 1/2 and hour and said that I had the recommended spring for me.  Then they said that as long as the spring was in new condition I could send it to them and they'd trade it for another spring rate if I decide to. 

From that, the adjustability, and the quality.  You can't go wrong w/ one.
hydra

life is analog...

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 07:09:57 PM »

okay people, i'm totally sold on the penske's!

now which model is the mid-level type. i saw the 8100 series at kneedraggers with 25 Click Rebound Adjuster for extra fine rebound settings, 6 Click Compression Range.

i will probably be getting it installed at flight cycles so i'd have him order it for me. i just hope he can give me competitive pricing.

i have no idea what to look for..please help.

thanks

BE WATER
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: