Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 05:19:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel straightening --- any luck?  (Read 4174 times)
CRASH!

« on: May 15, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »

I tried to leave work today with the sidestand down. End result, I ride into the curb and fell over.

Front wheel's bent.

Anyone ever have any luck with wheel straightening or should I just fuggedaboudit and find a replacement?
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »

I have had a few wheels straightened. most of the time they get it as good or better than new. I have had some not be able to be fixed due to damage, They let you know if that is the case.
I have a nice magnesium walhanger that they tried to straighten and it cracked.

Paint some times gets damaged as well.

I think I have a wheel or two that need fixing myself.
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:00:08 PM »

Here ya go Crash.

http://www.mcwheel.com/index.html

They'll fix you right up and they're somewhat local

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »

Here ya go Crash.

http://www.mcwheel.com/index.html

They'll fix you right up and they're somewhat local

McWheel gets them straight and has good turn around time.  They don't paint though.
2001cromo

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:32:22 AM »

Actually, I've used MCwheel a few times. Once for just straightening and once for a LOT of fixing plus paint.

First time to just straighten a wheel. Took about a week total door to door.

Second time they did a lot more work to the wheel to repair it and they also powder coated it. This took about 6 weeks though.

Ask em about their $100 rim job  cheeky
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 05:25:42 AM »

Ask em about their $100 rim job  cheeky

Ahhh... so thats why you always have a smile on your face..... cheeky

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 05:31:08 AM »

+1 for mcwheel

they do a great job, and sometimes even really really fast turn arounds!

Q waytogo

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »

If you do a "walk in" and tell them your are going to wait, they'll usually do it the same day.

johnster

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 06:44:31 AM »

I tried to leave work today with the sidestand down.

Been there, done that....  Roll Eyes

-How about forgetting it's in 1st when you last got off of it, and starting it while standing next to it.... bang head

-Didn't manage to bend the rim, but it's good to know a place that straightens them should it happen...Thanks for the link!!

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
CRASH!

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 08:41:29 AM »

I emailed a local place that advertises car wheel repairs, Rim Pro, to see if they do bikes.

If they say no, I guess it's M.C. Wheel. $100 Rim Job sounds like just what the doctor ordered waytogo

Might even be worth taking a day off for "walk-in service."

Shouldn't need paint, though I see they now offer powdercoating. I just need quick turnaround; Spring's a'wastin' Angry
Pakhan

This is for Pris!

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:02:31 AM »

I would go with straightening.

If you lived in NYC I would recommend these guys in Bushwick, $50 for both rims done.  You just have to take them off the bike.  Did it on the monster, no complaints.

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines."   m620 749s r6

www.suspectsunlimited.com
CRASH!

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 11:03:29 AM »

$50/pair? That's a smokin' deal!
Spike

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 05:45:23 PM »

These guys do good work.
http://www.framestraightsystem.com/ waytogo
DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 10:27:31 AM »

rim straightening ... this reminds me of a story ... I was in Brazil in 2003 ... for carnival and then a road trip with a friend form Uni ... in his micro car with 4 adullts, his Brazilian Grilfiend ( ... as you've ever dreamed) from Salvaror (NE coast) to Oro Preto (near Belo Horizinti central) a 2,000 km round trip in 5 days, no small feat since the highways in Brazil are crowed with semis and there mostly 2 lane highways ... and the roads litterally just desintigrate into pot holes or dirt roads in places ... so constantly trying to pass semis; pulling up close behond to pass; it gets hard to dodge these large postholes and we have 3 bent rims on this trip; the first time we hit as pothone; I thing O-M-(f)-G ... the cars f-ed.  I'm in the back seat and my head litterally hit the celing with the seatbelt on.  The rim is bent on both sides (this is a typical Large pothole); we unload the car get the spare out in the dark  ... meanwhile sent the girls up 100 m the road with the flashlight to warn at the weaving semis dodging the potholes that were on the shoulder changing the tire ... a little disconcerting .... back to the point here; I digress; reminicing ...

Next gas station, stop at the "batchiria" (?), all stations have a group of rim straightner guys hanging out off to the side of the pumps in a shack and there busy ...

So no problem-o; unload the car; get the bent rim out ... 4 very dirty in shorts and bare feet guys are busy fixing other rime waste not time at all at 10 pm .... cars jacked up; tires off the rim; put the rim on the dusty ground wheel straigtner; take the sledge hammer out and wham, wham; wham; wham ... i wish i had a video ... semi straight; then get out a 4" rounded chissle; to do the finessing ... same tire on (no holes just a bent rim) and were out a there in 15 minutes with the full tank of gas; service with a smile; .... cost .... 10 Real; thats 5 bucks; I was so happy with the service; I gave em 20 and said keep the change ... Big smile, not a word of english to this point but i got a "you-da-Man".  they made my day; I hope I made his ... and his famlies a little better....

.... now that was a steel rim; soft metal.  In north america we would have had to wait a week, for a new rim, new tire ... this same same rim was repaired twice the same way, 1700 kms on the same tire .... hummmm, considering new motorcycle rims are worth how much?  Cheers DD

.... all the world is yours.
CRASH!

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 12:13:51 PM »

Grin
Man, talk about digressions! But if that's the way you to it...carry on. I can read more of that.

I'm lilkin' that framestrightsystems site. I may give them a shot as the guys on the way to work, Rim Pro, don't do bike wheels.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: