Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 04:50:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sat on a 696  (Read 5253 times)
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« on: May 15, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »

I got to sit on a 696 tonight. I thought it looked pretty cool. I like the after market pipes they had available. It would probably be pretty comfortable  to ride, but just to sit up on it, the tank pushed against the "crotch area" a bit uncomfortably. I actually liked the headlight and the vents in the tank. I think I'll still go for the S2R, but I do like the 696. I look forward to seeing them out on the road.

Is it June yet?
Michael Moore
Testa di cazzo
WebGeeK

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:57:37 PM »

Where'd you see one?

The 696 has kind of grown on me. I didn't have the violent reaction some did, I just didn't like the "updates" all that much and thought the footpeg and rear subframe didn't look like they belonged. But with time I think it'd be OK. Plus I like the idea of having a small, light bike with decent horsepower vs. a behemoth you can't ever ride to anywhere near its limits on the street. (Except of course if it is a Hypermotard - I'd have one of those in a heartbeat.)

La nuova moto e il vecchio motociclista :: 2000 Monster 900 (il vecchio) :: 2008 Vespa GTS (doppio) :: 2010 Streetfighter S ("il PastaBusa")

mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:40:13 AM »

I saw it in Sunnyvale. They're having a party for it later today. I saw it last night when they first put it out.  They just have one red one in right now. I also looked at the 695 and S2R1000. I'm really leaning toward the S2R.

I don't know much about the Hypermotard. I like the way it looks. Is is supposed to be a good bike for the city? Are they over the top expensive? Is it too tall for someone 5'5"?

Is it June yet?
DucSteve

Hey Yo

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 07:14:28 AM »

Might be a little tall, go sit on one and find out
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 08:51:36 AM »

Might be a little tall, go sit on one and find out

I knew someone would say that. Is there some place that actually lets you test ride? I understand why they don't, but I would like to compare a few bikes when I am ready to make a purchase.

Is it June yet?
Snips

where's my Titanium Member gone?

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:36:06 AM »

I got to sit on a 696 tonight. I thought it looked pretty cool. I like the after market pipes they had available.

Are those Ducati Performance / Termigoni aftermarket pipes?

It would probably be pretty comfortable  to ride, but just to sit up on it, the tank pushed against the "crotch area" a bit uncomfortably.

I've not notced a problem with this at all, but then again, I'm probably not very well endowed in that region  Embarrassed

I'm 5' 6" tall, btw.

2009 red Monster 1100s
2008 red Monster 696+ - sold
2006 red Monster 620 - sold
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:14:21 AM »

I've not notced a problem with this at all, but then again, I'm probably not very well endowed in that region  Embarrassed

laughingdp laughingdp I'm not too well endowed either. I'm not a guy. laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp  I was kind of wondering how it may affect a guy though. I can only use my imagination and it isn't something I'll dwell on.  Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

Is it June yet?
remy
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 11:28:31 AM »

I've felt that most monsters kind of slide you towards the tank. I'm hoping a new seat will eventually solve that.
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »

I might swing by HDP in a few hours to check it out.

Anyone else going ?

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:51:54 PM »

Okay I checked out the 696 tonight.

Here are my thoughts.

Fit and Finish is top notch. Looks so much better in person. Clutch and Brake lever's are really far away for my short stubby fingers. Mirrors seem really functional. Everything looks really beefy on the bike. Thick Trellis, Thick Sub Frame, Thick Swing Arm, Thick rear sets etc. The seat seems to be made for women. If you have a package its a rather painful seat. You sit way up front and you cant really sit back on the seat. Basically you sit right on your Boys  Undecided

HDP was basically empty. I guess no one was as interested as with the 1098  Tongue
Now I bet you it would have been standing room only if Ducati announced a 1098 Monster.

I give it a  waytogo I could see myself owning one down the road.

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

Juan

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »

Our own Ducati dealer in San Francisco has a red one, I went today and got to seat on it. They told me I could take it out for a test ride, I declined, unfortunately I was not there alone, nor I had my gear.. Sad

I agree with ROBsS4R, the bike looks much better in person, I actually like it. There are things I would change, of course..! But the over all look of the bike is better than I expected. I am disappointed with the swing arm however, it looks good, but I  expected a more solid piece. You will understand when you see it.
The stock pipes need to go, and I don't really like the shape of the aftermarket ones, they look just the same as the stock but in carbon fiver. I like the mirrors, the instrument panel is really nice, and that small fairing is actually not bad at all, it complements the bike really well. I did not get to ride it, but by just seating on it, I can say that it may not be as comfortable as expected.
 I can see clip-ons, no hot dog tray, different exhaust, and other things. The head light is fine. Maybe my Lori wants to get one.. cheeky

DucSteve

Hey Yo

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »

Sat on one today too at Ace.  I also believe it looks a little better than I'd imagine, but still not my thing. 
MendoDave
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »

I knew someone would say that. Is there some place that actually lets you test ride? I understand why they don't, but I would like to compare a few bikes when I am ready to make a purchase.

I think Moto Mecannica will let you test ride. better call and find out though before you go there.
mbalmer

Ready to ride

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 11:19:39 AM »

Thanks. Where is it located? I tried to Google it but came up with a bunch of forum discussions.

Is it June yet?
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 12:34:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: