Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:32:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Troy Bayliss 2008 Monza Record  (Read 8653 times)
derby

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »

Troy Bayliss is a great rider and has done wonderful things in World Superbike racing, plus that last MotoGP race he rode in, but "unbelievable"?

I regularly watch the MotoGP races, the World Superbike races, and the occasional AMA Superbike race, and I didn't see anything unbelievable about his qualifying run.  It looks pretty much like any other racer, but a little bit faster.

Those Italian announcers sounded pretty excited about it,though.

iirc, he was on provisional pole and, as such, the last racer to go out in superpole. they were excited as he went green in each sector to take pole position for the race.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 06:29:43 PM »

What's your point?  Did I not explain the process clearly enough? 

I apologize for not making my previous statement crystal.  WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN!  READ THE ENTIRE POST...AGAIN!

If your theory about shifting the rider's weight to the inside of the bike is true, why does Bayliss kick out his left foot entering Ascari, the only left turn at Monza?

The OP does concern left turns, seconda variante  SPECIFICALLY.  The second chicane, one of the other lefts you forgot about.  Several racers when entering left handers too hot will throw their left leg out to shift weight to the inside in preparation for a turn in at a speed they are not comfortable with.  Here is a pic of Bayliss overtaking in the second race. Cool

I don't refute the statement about removing the left foot from the peg after down shifts in preparation for an up shift as Derby suggested.  I ride the GP pattern and don't find it necessary, but I am not racing WSBK on a 1098 F08 either.  I think you were trying to answer my question as to why Bayliss(and others) point their outside foot out while positioning the peg in the arch of their boot verses the ball of the foot. Cool

Anyone? popcorn

M-ROCin' it!!!
derby

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »

I think you were trying to answer my question as to why Bayliss(and others) point their outside foot out while positioning the peg in the arch of their boot verses the ball of the foot. Cool

Anyone? popcorn

better position to properly weight the outside peg.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

BastrdHK

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 07:26:26 PM »

makes sense considering the forces acting on the body would require a more secure "foothold" at those speeds.....thanks derby!

M-ROCin' it!!!
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 02:35:06 PM »

Did they have 3 announcers talking simultaneously, or just 2?  Roll Eyes

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Gypsy Davy

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »

I apologize for not making my previous statement crystal.  WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN!  READ THE ENTIRE POST...AGAIN!

The OP does concern left turns, seconda variante  SPECIFICALLY.  The second chicane, one of the other lefts you forgot about.  Several racers when entering left handers too hot will throw their left leg out to shift weight to the inside in preparation for a turn in at a speed they are not comfortable with.  Here is a pic of Bayliss overtaking in the second race. Cool

I don't refute the statement about removing the left foot from the peg after down shifts in preparation for an up shift as Derby suggested.  I ride the GP pattern and don't find it necessary, but I am not racing WSBK on a 1098 F08 either.  I think you were trying to answer my question as to why Bayliss(and others) point their outside foot out while positioning the peg in the arch of their boot verses the ball of the foot. Cool

Anyone? popcorn

I apologize if English s not your first language but it’s difficult to maintain an intelligent discussion with someone who has such a poor grasp of the language. 

First-off, you should get your facts straight.  I was not answering the OP (or you) but he following: 

why does he always stick his left foot out just before turning in?

I explained what Bayliss was doing and why.  I base this on my experience of riding for about forty-five years and racing for seven of those years.  You response was: 

Watch the video again! Cool

Since I had not addressed you, I assumed you either didn’t understand what I said or you disagreed.  Either way, I explained once more what Bayliss was doing, and also the flaw in your theory that it had something to do with weight transfer.  (If it did, Bayliss would be kicking his left foot out to turn one way and his right foot out to turn the other.)

Lifting the left foot off the footpeg does not in-and-of-itself shift body weight to the left.  The only way body weight is shifted to the left effectively is by leaving the left foot on the peg.  This effectively lowers the center of mass to the left peg, as is desired.  The physics make no sense otherwise. 

Bayliss shifts his weight to the inside footpeg when he shifts his butt halfway off the side of the seat.  He shifts his weight left to turn left and right to turn right.  The movement of his left foot is completely independent of this. 

Watch the video again and look where Bayliss shifts his entire body to the inside, just before turn-in.  That’s the point were he is shifting his weight to he inside of the bike. 

David

2001 Ducati ST2
BastrdHK

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »

Seriously??

You don't need physics......just common sense.  The pros do not move their right foot in the same manner when aggressively entering a right hander(left hander or any braking zone for that matter), why???......rear brake is being applied!!!   bang head

M-ROCin' it!!!
derby

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 05:28:58 AM »

Seriously??

You don't need physics......just common sense.  The pros do not move their right foot in the same manner when aggressively entering a right hander(left hander or any braking zone for that matter), why???......rear brake is being applied!!!   bang head

many racers never touch the rear brake...

the difference in the foot movement is due to what they're doing prior to what you're seeing.

with a gp-shift pattern and jockey-high footpeg position, you can slide your foot forward for upshifts but it's easier to pull your foot off the peg entirely to reposition it from under the shifter (downshifting) to the ball of your foot. 

your foot is never under the brake lever, so you simply have to slide the ball of your foot back onto the peg.

if you watch racers that don't use a gp-shift pattern (like mat mladin), you'll likely see something similar, but on the exit of a turn instead..
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:31:20 AM by derby » Logged

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Gypsy Davy

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 07:18:55 AM »

Seriously??

It’s obvious you either didn’t understand a word I wrote or you’re trolling for an argument.  Either way I’m done with you. 

David

2001 Ducati ST2
BastrdHK

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 08:14:58 PM »

I'm sorry, Bayliss is not simply moving his foot out from under the shifter in the picture above.  It is right there....in COLOR!  I am not saying this occurs every corner, but when overtaking or entering the corner hot such as in qualifying. 

Derby, I know you have recognized this tendency in GP.  Rossi will hesitate as he "repositions" his left foot on the peg after downshifting, but only in when entering left handers at a speed that is uncomfortable for him.

M-ROCin' it!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: