Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 03:58:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster left me stranded  (Read 3498 times)
jollywrencher

« on: May 16, 2008, 04:21:00 AM »

Yesturday I took my bike to work and it was running very sluggish.. only to find out that the front cylinder wasn't firing anymore.  After work I took it to a friends and dug into it some.  Swapped the wires, and coil around to eliminate them as the problem.  Today I'm hauling it up to Delano to get it worked on, only cuz it's still under warranty for about a month yet. 

I'm new to the Ducati world so I don't know if this is a common thing or what, anyone have any ideas or helpful advice?  It's a '06 S2R and seemed to run great the night before.  Only thing changed on it is a DP ecu and open airbox.
fasterblkduc

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:23:54 AM »

Which wires did you switch, and did the same cylinder play dead? Just the plug wires and coils, or injector wires too?

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
jollywrencher

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 07:34:48 AM »

First I bought plugs.. then swapped plug wires around.. then coils.. everytime just the vert cylinder would fire.  I gave up after that cuz I didn't  have the tools with me to check the voltage going to the coils..  So I'm gonna go see how Delano's service is  bang head ... I like to fix my own stuff, hope it doesn't take forever.
crash13

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 08:40:21 AM »

Just curious did you check to see of you threw a belt, or pulley?

Hope it's electrical and sorted quickly

Mark Miller
Chief Riding Instructor Trackaddix Northern Region
Co-Chief Riding Instructor Central Roadracing Association
MMR,Princess Jennife,Trackaddix, Newracers.com, Dunlop, Manley Cycle, Moto Primo, Headsweats, Momentum Photo, Lithium Motorsports, Vortex, LP usa
jollywrencher

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »

Its not getting spark so all I've been checking is electrical... but now its at Delano and I REALLY hope it doesn't take them long  Undecided ... Just thought I'd see if anyone on here maybe had a similar problem.
jollywrencher

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 07:24:26 PM »

My little S-10 looks cool with the monster in back, even though I never wanted to have to do it  Angry Haven't heard anything from Delano yet, but they looked kinda busy.

Desmo Elmer

"Maybe not so...."

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 05:37:44 AM »

First I bought plugs.. then swapped plug wires around.. then coils.. everytime just the vert cylinder would fire.

Its not getting spark so all I've been checking is electrical...

I don't know much about electrics, but couldn't one deduce from those two statements that the wire feeding the horiz. coil is suspect? Did you check continuity there?

Haven't heard anything from Delano yet, but they looked kinda busy.

Good luck. I imagine this time of year they're swamped. One would hope that they'd get after what is probably going to be a quick fix and not just throw it into the queue behind major overhauls. Unfortunately I don't think that's the way it works...

Ross

'04 M800 (R.I.P. Whitey)
'06 S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 S2r 1000 rubber still down
'05 GasGas MC 250 watch it or she'll loop on ya
'91 Husky 610wxe "paintshaker"
jollywrencher

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »

I don't know much about electrics, but couldn't one deduce from those two statements that the wire feeding the horiz. coil is suspect? Did you check continuity there?

Yeah thats what I was thinking and no I couldn't check it cuz I wasn't at home with it.. I drug it over to a coworkers place.  I doubt I'll have it by this weekend, I'm sure they're busy and then they'll have to order whatever it needs.. the S-10 is the only thing I'll be driving this weekend.  bang head
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 09:47:25 AM by jollywrencher » Logged
bluemoco
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

'04 M800i.e. on a no (carbon) fiber diet.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 12:44:02 PM »

This happened to me once, but it was simply a fouled plug. 

New plugs =  Grin   chug

"I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy." - Donnie Wahlberg in "The Departed"

"America is all about speed.  Hot, nasty, badass speed." --Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
fasterblkduc

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 04:29:31 AM »

Quick threadjack....Pete, I like the new name  "bluemoco v2.0"   waytogo

threadjack over!   Lips Sealed

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
jollywrencher

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »

BIKE IS FIXED!! 

Picked up the bike on saturday... turned out to be a bad ECU.  Kinda sucks to think that the ecu could go out without warning and leave ya stranded, they said they haven't seen that to often and made a note of it to Ducati.  But now that my warranty is running out I hope it doesn't ever happen again.

Took it out for a good ride out in the country today and it runs great, again..  waytogo
Sgt_H

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 08:14:15 PM »

Sweet!  Glad they didn't have it all Summer  waytogo

Sgt_H
Banned
knightrider

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »

well, if the ecu was replaced under warranty, then its got a 1 year warranty on it, so ya dont have to worry about the ecu for a year Cheesy

1994 M900
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: