Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:01:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Colored Gauges  (Read 9477 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« on: April 09, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »

Ive had some questions about how i changed the LEDs. since theres a lot of different types of guages (it seems that the handful of people who have done theirs all had different gauges)...mine will be in refrence to a 2006 S2R1000 guage, which in my own observation looks very similar to the S4R and S4Rs guages. The S2R and 695 looks to have a slightly different one. you will need a total of 10 PLCC-2 LEDs of your color choice. I used 800mcds, you may want to go up to 2000 if you want it as bright as the orange LEDs. you can change the brightness of the gauges by turning on the bike and immediately pressing hte LO temp/Clock button. your bike does not need to be on. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, you can get solder in your eye while using your perfer method of desoldering these leds. and it probably wont be fun.

1) Unplug your gauges
2) remove the screws on the back of the shell there are 5 of them dont forget the one on the very bottom. of the gauge.
3)  the front of the gauge and the circuitboard should now lift out. Becareful here, its a perfect fit, so dont wedge it, it should come straight out.
4) Turn over the face of the guage and there are a few clips holding the front of the gauge to the circuit board and shell. go ahead and unclip the board.
5) you should now have a white plastic frame with a circuit board underneath and the gauge face on top.
6) lift the edge of the gauge face and use some sort of ink to mark the needles zero point. You want to get the ink on that metal rod thats holding the needle. This is just incase you end up twisting the needle while you remove them.
7) grasp the center of the needle with 4 fingers (ithelps to have small hands) and pull straight up. you basically want to pull your fingers toward your palm. the needles should pull straight out. If you accidently turn the needle while twisting, then your RPM/MPH will be screwy now, but its okay since you marked the zero point.
Cool once you remove the needles you can remove that plastic frame, there are 4 clips on the back of the circuitboard, 2 on each side.
9) go do your soldering thang
10) when you reinstall your needles,take the board and plug it back in, let the bike reset it to zero and put the plastic covering back on it as well as teh gauge face. make sure that black mark is now lined up. ( you find that the needle is a bit hard to turn after the unit is powered on) install the needles gently and turn the bike on to make sure it sweeps and comes back to the right place. after youve confirmed it does (or have corrected it) presss the needles down and close her up.

On the S2R800/695 it seems that the needle isnt a one piece design, and instead is glued onto another plastic piece that connects to the motor. On other gauges it also looks like you have to open that center panel on the front of the gauge to take it apart. your guages may be different if they are not S2R1000 gauges.

Here is how i desolder them,  there are numerously better ways to do it, but this one was easist for me. do note, its very possible to damage the original LEDs this way, i got lucky, and im going to use them in my plcc-2 led rear tail lights! i was using a 15watt soldering gun, and the solder solidified pretty quick so i couldn't just melt both ends and remove the LED and i got into an arguement about with the dude at the radio shack so i didnt feel like going back there to pick up a vaccum  pump. as far as soldering goes, im gonna assume you already know how to solder.

Desoldering Ducati Monster Gauges

there are the guages on MAX brightness, they turned out quite well, these are 800MCD PLCC-2 LEDs, they have 2500MCDs, and if i had to do it over again, id probbaly use something above 2000, so i can adjust the brightness of the thing.
SDC10494

thats all there is to it. any questions feel free to ask.

I also found this nice link to the older style gauges.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=20161&highlight=cracked

This is how the 695 and S2R 800 are built i believe.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:58:18 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »

Ive had some questions about how i changed the LEDs. since theres a lot of different types of guages (it seems that the handful of people who have done theirs all had different gauges)...mine will be in refrence to a 2006 S2R1000 guage, which in my own observation looks very similar to the S4R and S4Rs guages. The S2R and 695 looks to have a slightly different one. you will need a total of 10 PLCC-2 LEDs of your color choice. I used 800mcds, you may want to go up to 2000 if you want it as bright as the orange LEDs. you can change the brightness of the gauges by turning on the bike and immediately pressing hte LO temp/Clock button. your bike does not need to be on. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, you can get solder in your eye while using your perfer method of desoldering these leds. and it probably wont be fun.

1) Unplug your gauges
2) remove the screws on the back of the shell there are 5 of them dont forget the one on the very bottom. of the gauge.
3)  the front of the gauge and the circuitboard should now lift out. Becareful here, its a perfect fit, so dont wedge it, it should come straight out.
4) Turn over the face of the guage and there are a few clips holding the front of the gauge to the circuit board and shell. go ahead and unclip the board.
5) you should now have a white plastic frame with a circuit board underneath and the gauge face on top.
6) lift the edge of the gauge face and use some sort of ink to mark the needles zero point. You want to get the ink on that metal rod thats holding the needle. This is just incase you end up twisting the needle while you remove them.
7) grasp the center of the needle with 4 fingers (ithelps to have small hands) and pull straight up. you basically want to pull your fingers toward your palm. the needles should pull straight out. If you accidently turn the needle while twisting, then your RPM/MPH will be screwy now, but its okay since you marked the zero point.
Cool once you remove the needles you can remove that plastic frame, there are 4 clips on the back of the circuitboard, 2 on each side.
9) go do your soldering thang
10) when you reinstall your needles,take the board and plug it back in, let the bike reset it to zero and put the plastic covering back on it as well as teh gauge face. make sure that black mark is now lined up. ( you find that the needle is a bit hard to turn after the unit is powered on) install the needles gently and turn the bike on to make sure it sweeps and comes back to the right place. after youve confirmed it does (or have corrected it) presss the needles down and close her up.

On the S2R800/695 it seems that the needle isnt a one piece design, and instead is glued onto another plastic piece that connects to the motor. On other gauges it also looks like you have to open that center panel on the front of the gauge to take it apart. your guages may be different if they are not S2R1000 gauges.

Here is how i desolder them,  there are numerously better ways to do it, but this one was easist for me. do note, its very possible to damage the original LEDs this way, i got lucky, and im going to use them in my plcc-2 led rear tail lights! i was using a 15watt soldering gun, and the solder solidified pretty quick so i couldn't just melt both ends and remove the LED and i got into an arguement about with the dude at the radio shack so i didnt feel like going back there to pick up a vaccum  pump. as far as soldering goes, im gonna assume you already know how to solder.

Desoldering Ducati Monster Gauges

there are the guages on MAX brightness, they turned out quite well, these are 800MCD PLCC-2 LEDs, they have 2500MCDs, and if i had to do it over again, id probbaly use something above 2000, so i can adjust the brightness of the thing.
SDC10494

thats all there is to it. any questions feel free to ask.

I also found this nice link to the older style gauges.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=20161&highlight=cracked

This is how the 695 and S2R 800 are built i believe.

hey HeMan,
I read the tread, so please, excuse me for the following question, will this method also work on my M620D? I want orange lighting, hate the green...

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:13:13 PM »

no idea. Not sure if the guages are the same, youd have to open them up and see if they use PLCC-2 SMDs, if they dont, you can always find the approaite LED to solder in, unless it runs on bulbs then its a simple bulb swap.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
filter

Bumblebee

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:18:14 PM »

Wow, that's a lot more involved than my mod. Smiley  Nice work though, this is very well done.

01 Monster 750 Dark (El Matador Tail Chop, Arrow CF exhaust, K&N Filter, CA LED Taillight, Radiantz LED License Plate holder, Blue LED Instrument Cluster, black belt cover, lifted suspension, 14T sprocket, Cycle Cat Billet Side Stand, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, custom Desmo reservoir caps)
Latinbalar

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:37:33 AM »

To answer M620D yes it works and i have an 05M620D.  The only thing i didn't like was that the red hash marks don't show up very well. I am thinking of going back and painting them or find a away of making my gauge faces.  When i figure it out ill let  you know.

I live vicariously thru myself......
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »

To answer M620D yes it works and i have an 05M620D.  The only thing i didn't like was that the red hash marks don't show up very well. I am thinking of going back and painting them or find a away of making my gauge faces.  When i figure it out ill let  you know.

Thanks Brother....

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
77south

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »

I've been driving around for a year with borked gauges.  Thanks to this tutorial I will be able to zero my indicator needles again.  Thank you very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: