Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 02:15:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Engine belt cover things...  (Read 14544 times)
bmonty72

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »

Well, all I did with my belt covers was wash them with some dish soap, toss hem in the oven at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes, then let them cool. Threw a coat of paint on, let them dry to the touch, threw them in the oven again. Did that a total of 3 times and they came out great and durable.
After all that, they are currently sitting in a box in the garage. I'm running coverless...

Maybe I'm talking out of turn...but how about MsTek sends Naked her plain covers and some $$$ and Nakid sends MsTek his black belt covers.....Nakid is reimbursed for his time and craftsmanship, and MsTek gets awesome looking black cover without having to fight the gangbangers for alley time??
NAKID

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 07:13:03 PM »

Cause I have an S2R1000 and she has an 800. waytogo

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
bmonty72

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »

nevermind...
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 05:21:08 AM »

nevermind...

Was a good idea though. =)

"Do something each day that scares you..."
ajw85

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 09:15:02 AM »

get a garage space.
i live in chicago too but rent a space for $50 a month with some other bikes. totally worth it to have a place to put your bike that no one knows about except you.
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 10:32:04 AM »

get a garage space.
i live in chicago too but rent a space for $50 a month with some other bikes. totally worth it to have a place to put your bike that no one knows about except you.

If it were that easy, don't you think I'd have one by now? Wink

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »

I perfer working on the street, your more aware of where you're bolts are and youll take them home, plus your forced to work faster. when your in the garage, the screw and bolt fairys come and move shit at night and you cant ever find anything.

...yea they can move stuff out of ziplock bags too.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »

I perfer working on the street, your more aware of where you're bolts are and youll take them home, plus your forced to work faster. when your in the garage, the screw and bolt fairys come and move shit at night and you cant ever find anything.

...yea they can move stuff out of ziplock bags too.

I think the bolt fairies also like socks.  Undecided

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 08:14:01 AM »

You're not wearing those individual toe socks are you? Fairys love those.

regular white is the way to go, they cant see white.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »

Oh yes they can!! Oh...wait...nope.  That's my puppy who can see white socks with more clarity than I think is healthy. 

/end threadjack Smiley

I say go out and spray in the alley. 

Gangsters: WTF is she doing?
MsTek:  ffffffffffft.....fffffffffffffft
Gangsters:  I'm not make the beast with two backsin with her.....
MsTek: (in her head) You're lucky you aren't zombies.  I'm going to Golden Nugget.  ffffffffft ffffffffft.

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2009, 07:34:41 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-241169-Ultra-Enamel-12-Ounce/dp/B001UE7MW4/ref=pd_sbs_ol_6

Will this work?  I tried to stop and get paint today but forgot that spray paint of any sort is illegal to sell in the City of Chicago.  bang head

Bun-bun

2002 M620 Dark ie

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-241169-Ultra-Enamel-12-Ounce/dp/B001UE7MW4/ref=pd_sbs_ol_6

Will this work?  I tried to stop and get paint today but forgot that spray paint of any sort is illegal to sell in the City of Chicago.  bang head
Yup.

I just did mine last week. It took longer to read this thread than it took to paint the covers.
I pulled them off, cleaned them with dawn dish soap and a scrubbie sponge, let them dry, painted them, let them dry, sprayed a second coat, let them dry, and screwed them back on. No primer, I didn't have to cook them with the pot roast, and they're a nice satin black.

"A fanatic is a man who does what he knows God would do, if only god had all the facts of the matter" S.M. Stirling
peanut_man

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2009, 09:10:52 PM »

Interesting.  Didn't know Chicago went so far as to outlaw spray paint.  But I guess that does cut down on graffiti. 

Back to the paint, there are a lot of tips here:  http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=29.0.  I've painted many parts on my 696 and also my previous Multi using that rust-oleum paint including heat shields and few plastic parts.  Works out great.  I do use primer, however, and surface prep is key to ensure good bonds and also to not hurry and lightly coat the parts each time.  Here's what I usually do:

1)  Depending on the surface, if it's very smooth, I go over it first w/ wet sand paper, for the belt covers, they are not that smooth so you can skip this.
2)  Clean the part w/ soap / scotch brite pads, leave no dirt.  Wipe dry to get rid of as much particle as possible.
3)  wipe down w/ alcohol and paper towel.  Let dry
4)  lightly coat w/ primer.  First and second coat never completely cover the pieces, that's how light I use.
5)  Repeat w/ primer for 3-4 coats.  I spray from 4 directions to ensure I get every angles.  Let dry a few min each coat, depending on the primer you use, read the label.
6)  Repeat w/ black paint.  Again I use at least 3-4 light coats, spraying from 4 different directions.
7)  Let dry overnight before install.

Here are some parts I've painted on my 696:

Crashed Multi last year, but i painted heat shield / clutch cover w/ the same method.  The clutch cover gets rubbed on by my boot all the time and the paint held up just fine:

2005 Buell XB12S | 2006 Honda CBR 600RR | 2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS | 2009 Ducati Monster 696+
psycledelic

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 04:31:21 AM »

This is an older pic of my bike, but I made these out of my stock belt covers for a total of around $30 or so (most of which went towards the mesh screen and epoxy).  Not the best, but it was my first attempt of taking the dremel tool to anything on my bike.  I also did the exhaust shields and sprocket cover on the other side.  I used flat black Krylon spray paint and a spray on clear coat.  One of the guys on the old site suggested that I clean the parts, spray first coat and let sit for 24 hours.  Same thing for 3 coats.  Let cure for 48 hours and then clear coat (I did two coats of clear)  Worked well for me.  I would guess that if you just wanted to paint, it shouldn't be over $9 or $10. 

06 S2R800 - the wife                         Dolph
04 999s - the mistress
Charlief

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 05:29:07 AM »

3 pages on painting belt covers?   bang head    laughingdp

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: