Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 05:04:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: simple cheap way to make stock 695 louder  (Read 7672 times)
tristantumble

« on: May 16, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »

at some point i'll go for the full termis package, but until then, anything i can do to make the bike louder? i've read on here about open air box, what is that exactly/what does it do...and does it make the bike louder?

thanks.
tt

07.695 (sold)
07. sport 1000 biposto
teddy037.2
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 01:24:02 PM »

opening the airbox lid (chop/removal/etc) will let the bike suck more air in.

some like the sound, some don't.

coring your stock cans will make them louder, too. there should be a 'how-to' up by now  waytogo
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 01:56:43 PM »

I chopped and cored the stockers (620 cans) to put on my 695:

Remove the cans and the mounting bracket screws. Then slide the sleeve down with some force as they are tight. Because of the pipe
angle where it connects to the header, you can't take off the sleeve. That is the really bad part about it because you have to work with the sleeve only part-way slipped down.

You will notice that there are welds holding the cap in place. The welds were the most difficult part for me on this project. I worked the welds before cutting off the end (I chopped 3" off the can) so I had something to hold. After cutting the welds as deep as I could with a Dremel, I took a flat screwdirver and started gently prying all around. As I worked the caps this way, I was able to Dremel deeper. When I thought I had cut as far as I could with the Dremel, I used a hammer and the flat screwdriver to knock off the cap the rest of the way. I was careful not to bend the cap too much.

As far as cutting the sleeve, I chopped mine about 3". So, after I got the cap off, I put the sleeve back in place and bolted the hanger back on as a keeper. I then used a miter saw to cut through the entire can (multi-purpose blade). I suggest also clamping the can before sawing as mine moved a little even though I put some serious pressure on it while cutting. After I cut through the works, I did Dremel the outlet pipe back some into the can (about 1").

After all that, I put the cap back on, slid the sleeve back in place, and I then drilled three holes (they hit about the middle of where the cap slips over the can)--top, back, bottom. The holes were big enough for the rivets I used. After drilling, I riveted it together. So, the rivets went through the sleeve, cap, and can, The sleeve circumference does not allow you to rivet the cap under the sleeve; they will not go
back into place.

caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »

Link to my vid:
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 05:15:07 AM »

at some point i'll go for the full termis package, but until then, anything i can do to make the bike louder? i've read on here about open air box, what is that exactly/what does it do...and does it make the bike louder?

thanks.
tt

The simplest, cheapest mod is to remove the screws you have in the middle of each exhaust pipe.

I actually just bought a second set. My plan is to drill a small whole through the center of each one, and see how that sounds!  waytogo

justken

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »

The simplest, cheapest mod is to remove the screws you have in the middle of each exhaust pipe.

I actually just bought a second set. My plan is to drill a small whole through the center of each one, and see how that sounds!  waytogo

pic please?  i am a visual kind of guy... waytogo

feed my will to feel this moment.... drawing me outside the lines
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »

pic please?  i am a visual kind of guy... waytogo

Done! For the second cylinder, the same screw is near your rear suspension spring.

teddy037.2
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »

Done! For the second cylinder, the same screw is near your rear suspension spring.

isn't that where the O2 sensor is on the 695?
roy-nexus-6

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »

isn't that where the O2 sensor is on the 695?

I honestly couldn't tell you  Embarrassed I am a n00boramus.  Sad

teddy037.2
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »

I honestly couldn't tell you  Embarrassed I am a n00boramus.  Sad

I'm about 90% on that one... island_duc has a 695, and I'm pretty sure that's where it screws in.

been a while since I've seen it, though, and my bike's not closed loop, so I've got that plugged up hole, too.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »

Yeah teddy, I think you are correct.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
teddy037.2
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »

w00t! confirmation from a 695 owner! Smiley

I am not crazy! about that anyway...
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »

I am not crazy! about that anyway...

no comment.... laughingdp

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
teddy037.2
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 11:21:10 PM »

no comment.... laughingdp

well, I *am* a goalie, so that sort of says... alot... Wink
NAKID

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:56:16 PM »

Unfortunately, you are both wrong. Those screw holes are meant for exhaust gas testing of each cyl individually...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: