Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 02:24:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OMRRA #39 - Race Report - Round 1 (PIR)  (Read 1903 times)
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« on: April 21, 2009, 03:35:25 PM »

Honestly, its hard to believe race season is already here.  Seems like just a week ago I was packing everything in for the winter.  You have to love having a new family addition to occupy your time.  Smiley

So I was out with CTT on Wednesday, my plan was to help my team mates setup camp, and do what I could in the pits.  Once we were settled in, I was talking with Tyson about the day, and the topic of why I wasn't riding came up.  I "thought" the day was not a season pass day, so I wasn't going to ride, besides, my race bike wasn't quite ready yet.  After very little contemplation, I ran home and grabbed my new to me 2008 CBR600RR for the remainder of the day (Thanks Tyson for letting me do a half day!).  Wow, these I4's are fun!  I think I am going to like tracking this bike.  The track was really dirty from a swap meet held at PIR the weekend prior, damn there was a lot of dirt on the track.  I did 2 or 3 sessions on my new bike and called it a day.

Thursday came around, the pits were setup, so the morning was more relaxing, my race bike was due to show sometime in the morning, so I just hung out and waited for the weather to warm up a little.  The bike showed up, I got the bodywork on it, and got it ready to head out (Thanks EDR crew!).  Put the leathers on, and out I went.  This being Thursday night, we had to do a vehicle shuffle for the MotoCross guys (we pit near their parking area, so we were asked to make as much room as we could.  Trucks and trailers were moved, and I went home for some much needed rest.

Friday came, and I typically don't practice on the practice days because I'm at CTT all day the day before.  Today was going to be my "get your feet wet Rider Rep" day, so I just ran around seeing where I could be useful.  We ran ToR at lunch, and hung out for the remainder of the day, then headed home.

Saturday has arrived, its race day!  I didn't sleep well, I was going over stuff I wanted to accomplish on the track, internal comfort zones I needed to tighten up, etc.  Your typical pre race day stuff.  We arrived at the track and we got the pits ready.  Bikes got warmers on, and fuel was checked.  I was ready.  Riders meeting ended, and we started the bikes up.  I wanted to heat cycle my engine a little before riding, I had time, so I did that. 

Middleweight Supersport - 7th
This being the first race of the year, and me riding a bike with new suspension, and engine, my goal was to simply have fun, not push anything, and stay upright.  The track was still pretty dirty, but it was time to put that aside and race.  I was gridded on the front row next to Mark Bothe when he decided to test Tony's flag hand.  I almost followed Mark as he jumped the start.  Tony was strong and held the flag so no one else jumped, and Mark was able to reset. The flag really dropped this time, and we were off, our first race of 2009 has began.  Never very good at starting, I went into T1 a lot farther back then the front row should have allowed, but oh well.  I tend to like to fight my way through traffic, so I started that, it was about mid point when I felt like I was all alone, I couldn't catch the rider in front of me, and didn't hear anyone behind me, so I just kind of thought I was happily riding by myself midpack.  Coming out of T9 I decided to do a quick check, holy crap, there are riders on my back wheel!  The first bike I saw was my team mates Steve's, I knew it was on then.  He or Jeff Lavalee drafted by me on this lap, or the next, I forget now, we fought positions for the next few laps, but I got them back a few laps later and held them off to the checkered.  They are going to be competitive in this class guys, watch out!  Finished 7th.

Middleweight Superbike - 10th
I was gridded on the second row for this race, my starts usually suck and this was no exception.  Flag dropped, got passed by a mob of riders behind me, and went into T1 ready to make up ground.  There are some much faster then me bikes in this class this year, its not going to be easy to finish mid pack unless I find a few seconds.  Smiley  Anyways, I fought my way up a bit, and started battling with different riders, I remember going back and forth with the Green Kawi (David James Moore?) for most of the second half of the race, he would get me on the straights, I would take it back in the infield, rinse, repeat.  At some point, I got him in T4 and never saw him again.  I had a blast fighting back and forth with him, I finished 10th.

450 Superbike - DNS
I was pretty tired from the days activities, and decided to sit this race out.  I need to work on my stamina a little if I plan on racing 3 hard races, I will get on that treadmill sooner or later.  haha

Overall I had a great weekend racing with friends, and hanging with family.

I want to thank OMRRA, the corner workers and all the volunteers who help make this sport happen in my backyard.  My team mates, pit mates, friends, and everyone else who shows support in one way or another, thank you.  Lastly to my beautiful wife and son who support me 100%, thank you!

See you guys in May!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:20:20 PM by Visolara » Logged

Maurice Miller
2009 OMRRA Rider Representative

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -
Noel Communications, Inc. , 2Fast Motorcycle Track Days & Instruction , KBC Helmets , EDR Performance , Cascade Tracktime , GP Suspension North , KFG Dunlop LLC , LP Privateer , Dainese , AMS Oil

| 2006 Ducati 749S (street) | 2004 Suzuki SV650S (race) | 2002 Aprilia Mille (race) |
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 05:32:36 PM »

Kick ass man. I think I was like 25th in that first race.  Grin

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
Mother
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »

That's cool you sex magnet
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:10:14 PM »

Dood, when are you gonna spend the $ to burn up a clutch and practice your starts.  You practice the rest of the track, right? Kiss

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
Visolara

Jacobs Love Meat

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:37:35 PM »

Dood, when are you gonna spend the $ to burn up a clutch and practice your starts.  You practice the rest of the track, right? Kiss

I need too, just haven't.  I hear its a blast too.

Maurice Miller
2009 OMRRA Rider Representative

OMRRA #39
WMRRA #39
Dark Horse Racing

Race Supporters -
Noel Communications, Inc. , 2Fast Motorcycle Track Days & Instruction , KBC Helmets , EDR Performance , Cascade Tracktime , GP Suspension North , KFG Dunlop LLC , LP Privateer , Dainese , AMS Oil

| 2006 Ducati 749S (street) | 2004 Suzuki SV650S (race) | 2002 Aprilia Mille (race) |
desmosome

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:33:58 PM »

Nice report...  waytogo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: