Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 02:59:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regular or Reversed Shift Pattern  (Read 8039 times)
Grappa

« on: May 16, 2008, 04:07:29 PM »

I always thought it would be weird to change the shift pattern, scared to downshift when I meant to upshift.  But after clipping my toes   Shocked  while upshifting coming out of a left-hander, I'm considering it.  I reckon most track bikes would be set up with the reverse pattern, but wondering what the average person uses on the street.

Ahh... but the servant waits, while the master baits.

Sometimes Aloha means Goodbye.
T-byrd

Yellow, not the fastest color...just the most fun.

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 04:10:29 PM »

I love reverse shift, until I get on a different bike.  Then I'm screwed and have a hell of a time finding 1st...it can be embarrassing at stop lights.

T

00 M900, Il Cianghiale
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:14:51 PM »

its a pain if you have muliple bikes ....... i actually just changed the Gixxer back to regular pattern ....but i can say when you have a dedicated track bike your mind set is that of the reverse pattern

another caution is never let anyone ride your bike who is not used to reverse pattern

for me the gixxer going back to  street use and having the Duc  for everyday  regular pattern was the way to go
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:24 PM »

I switched years ago because of just what you are describing, I actually had the pavement pull my foot off the peg a couple of times.
The proper answer would be to just get my foot in a better position (ball of the foot on the peg) but I found it easier to go GP.

Racers do not all use GP either, max biaggi for one uses a conventional shift pattern.

I like it enough all my bikes are gp now, well except for my lambretta that has a clutch grip shift.

while My job test riding bikes of both patterns has made me able to ride either  I prefer gp.
Kaveh

Dirka Dirka

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »

GP Shift pattern FTW!

I don't have a problem switching back and forth.  When I first switched, it took me a few days before I was totally comfortable with it  waytogo

printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »

When i started getting too many false neutrals between 1st and 2nd, I went to the GP style. It was comfortable, but for some reason I kept going the wrong way every once in awhile.

Kind of freaky having it drop a gear when your expecting to go up. So I changed back and adjusted the lever to have a more positive throw. That and went to better oil.  waytogo

Now only get the few in 5th-6th. Some reason the throw seems really long for this shift.

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 05:14:35 PM »

wondering what the average person uses on the street.

I'll bet you just about anything you like that the average person uses a regular shift pattern on the street.

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
eviltwin

eurotrash

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 05:16:21 PM »

I like GP shift and think the motions are more natural for your body positions during up/down shifts.  There is also less linkage play involved so you typically get a more positive shift since the shift lever is attached directly to the trasmission.

As far as switching from reverse to standard, it's no different than driving a car with different shift patterns and it isnt difficult to switch back and forth.  Whether that be reverse in a different spot, or a racing H pattern, or switching from 6 vs 10 vs 13 vs 18 speeds like I do with my work trucks.  It takes a few clicks in either direction before you are right at home.

We are 138
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:59:47 PM »

From what I read somewhere there guys ridings the Fo8  bikes in Superbike don't even use the clutch on up shifts. I'm thinking as easy as it it to do it and I have done it before that maybe that's the way to go on the street.

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
derby

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »

From what I read somewhere there guys ridings the Fo8  bikes in Superbike don't even use the clutch on up shifts. I'm thinking as easy as it it to do it and I have done it before that maybe that's the way to go on the street.

it's quite common on racebikes to have quickshifters that cut the motor for clutchless upshifts.

you can do the same thing by backing off the throttle while tapping the shifter.

you could even pre-load the lever wit your foot and the bike will shift up into the next gear when you back off the throttle.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
Mother
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:36:38 PM »

as far as GP shift

I love it and will never go back

it does keep me off friends bikes though which is pro'lly for the best

although it did keep me off Ian's 1098  Cry

it is also really nice to ditch all that linkage and crap on the monster and connect a lever straight to the shaft

the shifting is much crisper
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »

its a pain if you have muliple bikes

I've got a friend who's got:

An old Guzzi 860GT with left foot toe down to shift down, heel down to shift up.
A new Guzzi Norge with "normal" left foot 1st down gearshift.
An XT500 based cafe racer with "race shift" left foot 1st up.
A Ducati 350 single with right foot 1st up.
A scooter with auto gears (but brakes on the right handlebar lever).

She claims it's pretty easy to get used to all the differences, and that she usually only ever makes a mistake while turning out of here driveway when she's distracted... (apparently "pulling the clutch in" on the scooter is the scariest mistake!)

big

vwboomer

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »

I like the GP, especially with the lever that gets rid of the linkage. Shifts take a fraction of the movement of the foot for positive gear changes. My GasGas is of course normal shift and I have no problem going back and forth between the bikes.

2005 S4R - Sato, PM, CC, Sargeant
2005 GasGas FSE450
2004 Honda VFR
Old-Duckman

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 03:42:10 AM »

I've got a friend who's got:

An old Guzzi 860GT with left foot toe down to shift down, heel down to shift up.
A new Guzzi Norge with "normal" left foot 1st down gearshift.
An XT500 based cafe racer with "race shift" left foot 1st up.
A Ducati 350 single with right foot 1st up.
A scooter with auto gears (but brakes on the right handlebar lever).

She claims it's pretty easy to get used to all the differences, and that she usually only ever makes a mistake while turning out of here driveway when she's distracted...

I have 3 different patterns to deal wit too:

'72' GT- Right foot GP
'73' Triumph - Right foot standard
All others - Left foot standard

I changed the Monster to GP for awhile but changed back. I think my mind got confused more on the Monster than the others. No theory why actually.

I occasionally have to "think" before shifting when on one of the older bikes and that is not a good thing...I don't care what anyone says. The worst times are in tense moments or times when sudden actions are required, it can get you into trouble.

Thank goodness that they all have right hand front brakes...Now that would be a killer.
OwnyTony

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 05:12:53 AM »

I switched when i got my rear sets.  Sometimes i do find my shelf down-shifting when I mean to do the opposite.  At higher RPMs, it is not a fun thing to forget. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: