Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 08:19:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rizoma (billet) Reservoirs  (Read 1982 times)
slower than...

« on: April 25, 2009, 08:37:23 AM »

I am just curious if there is a problem with heat build-up when these reservoirs sit in the sun all day, and if the heated fluids and/or pressure changes could adversely affect the brake and clutch system functions because of that. I am sure these metal reservoirs will get pretty hot, more so than the OEM plastic units, and even more if you decide to go with the black units.

I love bling as much as everyone else, so I am very tempted to go with these units, but not if it creates a functional problem or safety issue. Could the folks that have these reservoirs share their experiences please?

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Blinged out Yellow '06 SportClassic Sport 1000 monoposto

New to me '02 Monster S4 Senna

Sweet Red '99 750 SuperSport Half-Fairing
JEFF_H

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »

they might get a little warmer...but brake fluid gets hot when it is used in the calipers.
the boiling temp is 3-400 degrees...i dont think a little sunshine is going to hurt...
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:16:28 AM »

they might get a little warmer...but brake fluid gets hot when it is used in the calipers.
the boiling temp is 3-400 degrees...i dont think a little sunshine is going to hurt...

oh, ooch, I remember this one time in Ibiza during the eighties at a nude beach. Believe me, a little sunshine can hurt a lot Shocked

The reservoirs will probably be fine though Wink

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »

Never had a problem. Been running with them at all three spots (fb, rb, c) and the only thing i'll notice is that they will occasionally sweat a little fluid when i've put a little too much in there. a few drops might appear on the outside, etc. They have worked great for me.

ducrider45

Just Ride!

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »

oh, ooch, I remember this one time in Ibiza during the eighties at a nude beach. Believe me, a little sunshine can hurt a lot Shocked

The reservoirs will probably be fine though Wink
"Ibiza" I know that party. Evil

Cop: "That thing is so nasty I can't bring myself to write you a ticket."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
 those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
 Thomas Jefferson

Washington D.C. area riders check out CAM on the local boards.
NekkedChic
Naked Bikes-u dirty boyz!

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:05:53 PM »

OK so found these but what size(s) do I order for my '09 696?  tks

Ducatista Barista
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 02:16:29 PM »

Whatever size you want. If you've got dual front calipers, you'll want a bigger one. The smallest size one is for your rear brake. The medium sized ones are what I picked out for my clutch and front brake set up - I have the dual front Brembo Goldline calipers and a Brembo "GP" Radial 19x18 front master.

I also think its important to point out that:

THESE ARE NOT MADE FOR YOUR BIKE. THEY ARE NOT MADE FOR MY BIKE. YOU WILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MOUNT THEM YOURSELF. THEY ARE NOT DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR THE BREMBO PEE CUPS.

They come with small metal brackets. These brackets are generic. to mount mine, I bent them at 90 angles, and mounted the clutch and brake reservoirs from the 'eccentric' adjuster on the cyclecat clipons. Other placs to mount would be the bar clamp of the m/c itself. Your master cylinder might have a screw hole and screw to mount the existing reservoir. you may be able to use this depending on the mounting of the stock pee cup. you could also mount them from the clipons bolts at the riser. you got options

When you replace them, you will likely need to bleed your brake line because you'll probably absentmindedly touch the front brake or clutch lever while the reservoir is off, allowing air to get in the system. If you make sure not to do such, you should have no problems. Also note that brake fluid is incredibly corrosive. It does not take very long for it to sit on your paint before the paint will lose all gloss there, and trust me, it will be noticeable. Also brake fluid is bad for your skin. Not like "hey everybody, i'm super duper metrosexual and get manicures" bad for your skin, but the "this will hurt and be bad for me if I get it on my hands and don't wash it off pdq".

Hope everybody feels educated now. Again, there's no proper size I could recommend for you. If you go with the smallest ones for the front, you'd likely be fine. But you'd also need to check your fluid levels pretty often. The bigger you go, the less you'd need to check, because there's plenty in there. Ideally, you'd never need to add any regardless of reservoir size, except as your brake pads wear and more fluid is needed in the system to squeeze 'em - but no losses of fluid.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:13:17 PM by ato memphis » Logged

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »

OK so found these but what size(s) do I order for my '09 696?  tks

You don't - your 696 (and my S2R 800) has cast in/coffin style reservoirs (?) - these are not for us, sorry Sad

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »

Nonsense. they could be for you. just time to upgrade your masters!

You can get a nice cast (not billet. those cost lots) brake master cylinder by Brembo in 19x18 or 19x20 flavor (your choice) for a little pocket change and get great feeling from your front end.

You could leave clutch well enough alone, since "feel" doesn't really matter. You either are slipping the clutch and the motor is groaning and you are moving forward, or you are not. But if you wanted to match, there are Radial options here too, though none in the less expensive cast flavor by Brembo.

You may also want to investigate: Beringer and Discacciati.

Linkage:

Brembo: Yoyodyne's Brembo Master Selection
Brembo: Motowheels' Brembo Brake Master's - Navigate to Clutches to see similar clutch options
http://www.beringer.fr/
http://www.discacciati.net/

NekkedChic

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 04:55:19 PM »

wow, thanks for the education, but this sounds WAY too involved for me to bother with honestly, since my only inspiration was cosmetic gain.
Have no real need for improvements on function-as I keep repeating, may never ride this bike to its full potential as it is stock  chug 

Any suggestions how to add more "red bling" without a lotta troubles otherwise?   laughingdp

Ducatista Barista
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »

Left side alternator cover can be blinged up. that's really easy. levers. coffin reservoir covers (the lids)

When it gets cold, send your rear spring to the powdercoater.

turn signals. mirrors.

NekkedChic

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 05:23:31 AM »

Left side alternator cover can be blinged up. that's really easy. levers. coffin reservoir covers (the lids)

When it gets cold, send your rear spring to the powdercoater.

turn signals. mirrors.

could use pix of these ( alt cover/coffin reservoir)  to help my non mechanical brain here LOL   

When it gets COLD?  ROFLMAO   I am in Florida.  BUT can maybe spare the Beastie Boy a bit to do that spring coating-GREAT idea, want mine in RED of course....and can prolly street legal the SV to keep me riding while waiting.   waytogo

have done my levers, bars, Oberon pegs in red so far tho.  TKS

Ducatista Barista
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: