Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 02, 2024, 02:21:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome?  (Read 2487 times)
Duki09

« on: April 30, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »

I'm slowly going to add some black carbon fiber parts to my 696 as I can afford them.  I think it will look good along with the pearl white of my bike.

As I was searching for accessories for Ducati bikes, I notice that there isn't much as chrome parts in the same manner there are carbon fiber parts.

Is chrome just not something that is usually preferred to be put on a Ducati? 

I've seen some custom Japanese sport bikes all chromed out, but not much on Ducatis.

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:55:45 AM »

We're better than that. Leave chrome to Harleys. But if it floats your boat.....

09 M696
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:05:37 AM »

Chrome good!  Just not too much....

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
pennyrobber

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:07:13 AM »

Minus the handful of Chromo's out there you won't see much chrome. If you are looking for shiny parts, polished is your best bet. I think chrome works better if you are going for a vintage look. One thing about chrome though is that it is heavy. Not a problem on an 800 lb. Harley but definitely bad for a sport bike.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:13:16 AM »

yeah, ducaatis are a performancee geared moto maker. chrome would deetraact frrom that perrformanc and be just plain  silly...

*Edit* damn, typing on my blackberry suddenly transforms me into Michael J Fox
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:16:25 PM by El Matador » Logged

MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »

If you are going to "chrome" things, you will have to do it yourself.

With the new bodywork, you can get the plastic and other items "chromed" as well. 

I think it would be interesting to see chrome intermixed with black carbonfiber parts on the new Monster!  Be the first "chromo" of the new series.

Example of a HyperMotard that the owner is chroming parts / bodywork for --> http://www.duccutters.com/BillJohnson-HyperKromo.tpl

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 11:24:18 AM »

Chrome is the shit. if hyou and work it right, and not over do it, then you can have a really good looking bike.

that motard is a nice one.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
g-force
09 M1100s Pearl

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:42 AM »

Chrome isn't THAT heavy, but really, It just comes down to personal preferance. Most of those chromed out sportbikes are custom chromed, whereas the aftermarket parts for Harleys just come in chrome already.

It seems though that certain brands of motorcycles attract certain types of people, and most of the people that are attracted to Ducati are not the same as those that like Harleys or chromed out sportbikes. Go talk to some of the chromed sportbike riders, and some Harley guys, and some Ducati guys and see what culture suits you best.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »

Go talk to some of the chromed sportbike riders, and some Harley guys, and some Ducati guys and see what culture suits you best.

I agree with most of what you said except for that. What would you get out of by talking to them?

But for the most part, only crusiers have aftermarket chromed parts readily available. I think the main reason is for ease of cleaning, and somehow it just caught on as blingy.

Sport bikes are focused on lightweight, and intially carbon fiber part was soley used as a weight saving feature, but then someone how that caught on as blingy.

Nothing wrong with putting chrome on a sportbike, in a performance perspective it makes no sense, but neither is a 1098cc naked bike loaded with carbon fiber.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Duki09

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »

I wasn't asking because I wanted to chrome out my Ducati or fit in with a certain type of group that does.

Just being curious.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »

I wasn't asking because I wanted to chrome out my Ducati or fit in with a certain type of group that does.

Just being curious.

Why care?  If you wanna carry a little chrome around then just go ahead and do it waytogo  Takes all kinds and thats what keeps things interesting....  aint no right nor wrong.   

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
superjohn

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 03:58:49 AM »

I think part of the reason you don't see Ducatis all chromed out (there are some out there, but not a lot) is the same reason you don't see a lot of Ferraris with hydraulic suspensions that bounce them around in a parking lot.

Ducati, probably more than any other motorcycle brand today, draws it's identity from racing. Most (but not all) Ducati enthusiasts are also race fans and either participate in track days, or follow their brands progress in WSBK and MotoGP. It's natural for those owners to want to trick out their own bikes like race bikes using similar materials, so you get open clutches, carbon fibre, minimalist designs, and other "go-fast" type modifications. It's a connection to that heritage of speed and competition whereas cruisers (both metric and HD) are less about performance and more about looking good on Main Street as part of their heritage.

teddy037.2
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »

carbon fiber=ducati chrome  Cheesy

DucatiTorrey
My wife's super hero is my

Industrial Designer

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 03:43:43 AM »

plus chrome is really bad for the environment.  Wink

- real place
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 06:08:25 AM »

I learned something from this thread if they arnt.....didn't know you could chrome something that was fiberglass  waytogo

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: