Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 02, 2024, 06:15:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone put older style controls on a newer monster ?  (Read 2450 times)
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« on: May 01, 2009, 01:58:24 PM »

QUESTION:
In the quest to clean up the frontend of my 07 S2R1K I was looking at my options on getting rid off the dual piss cups I have for reservoirs on the currently on the bike. I was wondering if someone had put the older/"coffin" style on a more modern/later year bike ? Would their be a benefit to using the "piss cup" style vs. the older style ?

I ask becasue I would rather run the older as they seem to not draw so much attention to themselves (compared to the newer style)...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:02:40 PM by ProTeal55 » Logged

ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Joe
Member: Half Fast Chicago

http://www.HalfFastChicago.com
Grrrly

Industrial Grrrl

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 02:24:11 PM »

I've always preferred the cleaner look of my coffins.  There is no difference performance wise.  You can call Fred at Yoyodyne, he can set you up with the right size you need, 16mm (same as the pee cups)  or you can probably easily find someone with a to swap with.  You might have clearance issues depending if you're running certain clip-ons, ex. Cycle Cats, and will need spacers then.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:26:25 PM by Industrial Grrrl » Logged

peaveybassist

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »

I have an '08 695 with the coffins and REALLY want to switch to the pee cup style. If you want, I'm willing to trade straight up. I'll pay shipping both ways!!! Bike has 15k miles on it and both master cylinders work flawlessly. I live in Indy. Sending PM now... Really hoping you can trade.
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 05:28:52 PM »

QUESTION:
In the quest to clean up the frontend of my 07 S2R1K I was looking at my options on getting rid off the dual piss cups I have for reservoirs on the currently on the bike. I was wondering if someone had put the older/"coffin" style on a more modern/later year bike ? Would their be a benefit to using the "piss cup" style vs. the older style ?

Despite the fact that folks say that piss cups are the same as the older coffins, I've always found the pee cups to feel better.  That's totally subjective, but it counseled against switching them out for aesthetics.  There's a better solution though.  Instead of putting on the old coffins, I put on 999 radials on my monster to clean up the front.  The reservoirs are larger than the coffins, but they work aesthetically.  And they're a better MC than either the coffins and the pee cups. 

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 09:27:04 AM »

Spidey,

What year 999 where those offa ?
Def. dig the look better than the stock ones on my bike 4 sure...

Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »

They're the same throughout the 749/999 range.  The reservoir covers are aftermarket though (the stock ones are black).  You can get  reservoir covers for the 999/749 on eBay or through monsterparts.

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
weemonster
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:45:17 AM »

I've always preferred the cleaner look of my coffins.  There is no difference performance wise. 

bull doo doo.
Its only a few weeks since i swapped my coffins for  goldlines wi remote reservoirs and the difference is huge.
weemonster
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 10:47:14 AM »

They're the same throughout the 749/999 range.  The reservoir covers are aftermarket though (the stock ones are black).  You can get  reservoir covers for the 999/749 on eBay or through monsterparts.
the early ones dont have radial brakes so be careful when searching for them
teddy037.2
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 11:02:47 AM »

bull doo doo.
Its only a few weeks since i swapped my coffins for  goldlines wi remote reservoirs and the difference is huge.

+1... well, almost one. I wouldn't say it was huge, but I did notice a positive difference in both power and feel w/the goldlines from my coffins
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »

the early ones dont have radial brakes so be careful when searching for them

Sure about that?  The earlier ones (non-R spec bikes) don't have radial brakes, but I'm pretty sure they all have radial master cylinders. 

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »

You can always lower the cups.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/chiflado/Conrad_complete_0041-2.jpg

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »

Picture from another angle please, mang.  waytogo  I'm trying to figure out how you keep the cups above the masters.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 01:01:08 PM »

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/chiflado/Conrad_-_almost_finished_0031.jpg

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Grrrly

Industrial Grrrl

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 08:43:19 AM »

bull doo doo.

I don't know the current state of your brakes. 
I assume you had already changed your previous master to a bigger one for dual brakes before your comparison? 
If you are comparing it to the old coffin from the solo brake rotor bikes then, yes it WOULD be a noticeable difference as it's a different, smaller size than those on dual rotor bikes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 08:48:00 AM by Industrial Grrrl » Logged

ProTeal55

HalfFastChicago.Com

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 03:42:19 AM »

What was all involved in doing this ?
Just making a new bracket and maybe a different hose to the res. itself ?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: