Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:06:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch Slipping 05 S4R  (Read 3161 times)
Duc Naked

« on: May 17, 2008, 08:47:36 AM »

Had a very strange problem with my bike today involving the clutch. The bike has about 1900 miles on it (I bought it 2 months ago and it had 1,100 then) and still has the original clutch, cover, pressure plate, etc. I don't ride it very hard, occasionally spirited, but never for very long. I did recently install some Pazzo shorty levers but, to date, have had no problems. Before installing the levers and since, I would occasionally get the sensation that something was slipping when letting the clutch out in first gear from a stop, almost like, if it were an actual cable, the cable was somehow slipping. But never seemed to affect the operation of the clutch itself. Would occasionally hear a squeaking sort of sound when this happened and could also feel a vibration through the lever.

So today, I was riding home from work and it was pretty hot outside, mid 90's and the bike got as hot as 210, about as hot as I've seen it. At one point, I'm at a stop light, it turns green, I pull the clutch lever in, kick it down to 1st then start to slip the lever to get going. I let the lever out completely but the motor was not totally in gear/engaged. My hand was completely off the lever, the best description I can give is that it seemed as if the clutch lever were still being let out....only it wasnt, the lever was fully disengaged. At this point, the bike is moving but very sluggishly, the motor struggling to find first gear. Finally, it engaged and took off. From that point on, every time I came to a stop, the same thing happened....like 4 more times before I got home. I thought maybe it was because I'd adjusted the lever to operate too close to the grip, but I set the adjuster pin all the way to the opposite (ie., the lever as far away from the grip as possible) but this didn't change a thing.

When I got home, I immediately checked the lever thinking I'd somehow F'd up the install, but it seemed to be working fine. I checked the resevoir on the handle bar, it was full, and there didn't seem to be a leak in any of the lines (as far as I could tell). I am aware of the "clutch groans" issue which  would seem to suggest that maybe my clutch stack is dusty and needs a good blow from the air hose. I'll crack it open tomorrow and check but it seems to me this would be very unlikely with only 1900 miles on it, does it not?

duc996

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »

Check the clutch plates,maybe they're worn out,or maybe the plates aren't evenly tightened.(where the springs are)

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 03:23:24 AM »

Check that there is enough free play at the lever.  This adjustment needs to be checked anytime levers are changed.  I don't know the spec on that bike, but add a little and see what happens.
Duc Naked

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:12:37 PM »

^^^ I'm guessing this is the problem but I will still open the clutch cover and see if it's dusty.  I assume the adjusting lever for the free play is the little screw that was epoxied in place with the original lever? I don't really see any other screw that could be it.  Any tips? which direction increases free play?  thanks!

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:23:19 PM »

^^^ I'm guessing this is the problem but I will still open the clutch cover and see if it's dusty.  I assume the adjusting lever for the free play is the little screw that was epoxied in place with the original lever? I don't really see any other screw that could be it.  Any tips? which direction increases free play?  thanks!

Yes.  Out increases play.
Duc Naked

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 03:52:09 PM »

Alright, I pulled the whole lever off, loosened the little allen nut that keeps the plunger pin in place, andI turned it out counter-clockwise a couple of turns, so we'll see if that helps.  Is this the correct way to adjust the free play? Seems like I have a half inch or so, but I can't really tell.  One problem I had was that I couldn't get the plunger pin to move any further than I did, almost felt like either something was blocking it (some left over epoxy maybe or stripped threads.....couldn't tell by sight). 

I did also pull the clutch cover off and blew some compressed air through it, some black dust did come out but not a huge amount.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:53:48 PM by Duc Naked » Logged

johnster

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »

You said you bought it w/1100 miles on it.... Is there a possibility that those first 1100 miles were spent drag-racing and clutch-slip-wheelieing??  Maybe the person who rode it before abused the crap out of the poor clutch....... Undecided

I'm just saying.....

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Duc Naked

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »

I suppose anything is possible, but I was told by someone I know who thinks he knows the prior owner that it was well taken care of.  Anyway, the steps I took above seem to have helped for now.  I guess the real test will be the next time it starts running hot....that definitely seemed to be a big issue.  Also, now's as good a time as any to order that new pressure plate, springs and clutch cover I've been coveting for so long  Grin

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »

Alright, I pulled the whole lever off, loosened the little allen nut that keeps the plunger pin in place, andI turned it out counter-clockwise a couple of turns, so we'll see if that helps.  Is this the correct way to adjust the free play? Seems like I have a half inch or so, but I can't really tell.  One problem I had was that I couldn't get the plunger pin to move any further than I did, almost felt like either something was blocking it (some left over epoxy maybe or stripped threads.....couldn't tell by sight). 

I did also pull the clutch cover off and blew some compressed air through it, some black dust did come out but not a huge amount.

I'm not sure.  I don't remember what the CRGs for radial masters look like.  I think the allen you loosened just holds the plunger in place, but is not an adjustment.  Squeak has those levers on his bike, try sending him a PM.
Duc Naked

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

^^^ Should have been more clear, I lossed the little allen nut, then turned the screw on the plunger pin about one full revolution counter clockwise, retighted the allen nut and put her all back together.  For whatever reason, I could not get the plunger pin to turn out any more.....like something was blocking it from turning.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: