Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 07:43:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Took the 696 out for a spin....  (Read 5629 times)
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 06:32:47 PM »

Duc Sea had the black o black with termis and bar ends.  Looked nice.  Can't get over the headlight or the cheap azz plastic tank but looked and sounded good!

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
timmer357

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »

I drove up to Motocorsa in Portland today for two reasons.  First was to drop off my S2R1k and my buddy's Tuono, both of which I crashed last week (took him out while crashing, and yes we were off set).  Second was to taste the 696 as I had been on their deposit/preorder list before getting my S2R.  They had a black one sitting inside but it had a Do Not Sit On sign.  Was somewhat bothered by that and even mentioned I wanted to sit on it as it may replace my broken S2R.  No dice. 

What is that all about?  Oh well, going back up in a couple weeks and maybe then.  They are taking good care of us though on the crashed stuff so I am in no way trying to bad mouth them.  And I understand not wanting every dork off the street to handle it.
silentbob
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 11:47:53 PM »

I thought it looked better in person than in the pics.  But it lacks that certain organic flow that the other bikes have.  They could have done all the same changes but refined them just a little and the end result would have been better.  The air intakes in the tank I think are a great idea and I had been asking for that or a while.  But the tank itself is fat and not cohesive.  The DSS is fine but I would have preferred the design from the old SS, the 2005-2006 999, or the Aprilia Mille.  But most disappointing are the dyno numbers that show this bike no more powerful than a 620.
mihama01

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 04:17:32 AM »

Ducati are on the ball regarding product launch, perfectly syncronized worldwide, they had one on display in Ducati Tokyo Ohta in Japan.

Looks totally modern, they have really beefed up the chassis. The lower fork clamp is huge as is the tubes on the frame. When they release the 1100S version (if?) I will be joining the queue.

The dealer here was also pushing the Ducati Performance accesories pretty strongly, seems they already have the full lineup available. Maybe the profit margins aren't what they used to be.

I worry about the air cooled 1100S version though. I wonder if they will make one. All the competitors have more HP they may just go straight to an 848 based engine and skip the larger aircooled engine. What do you think?

Red S4Rs, Tokyo
monsterduc

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 09:23:25 AM »

I went to see it out my local shop (Renaissance Motorcycles, Tucson, AZ) today and it was placed right next to a 1098R.  After first chewing out the employee who runs their website and rider's club about not letting us know they had the "R" on display, I saw the 696.  Though they were offering demo rides (on the 696, not 1098R), I wasn't dressed for it so I passed.

The first mod I saw for that bike is removing the charcoal canister because they hung it just like on the S2R but then designed a plastic trim piece to sort of hide it.  The problem in removing this piece is on the other side of the bike there is a part (rectifier?) mounted onto it.  Removal of that plastic piece requires relocating that rectifier.   bang head

The 696 is definately growing on me, though I don't think I'll ever favor it over my S2R, the 696 is no 999/749.   [moto]
NAK3D696

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »

that bike is a awful as i thought it would be. my dealer wouldn't let me demo it because i asked him if it came with a lifetime supply of barf bags when you buy one.  he didn't like that much. if someone were to like the look and seating position of this machine , they are more likley to ride a race machine. the ergos are all wrong. its not cumfy like my s2r. not even close. and the mirrors are useless. they are so low and you see nothing except your torso. no matter how high you adjust them. ick......... Angry

the "the monster is ruined" ron

I love that it bothers Ron so bad lol  waytogo 
Dave R

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 01:31:34 PM »

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
Templar

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 02:13:54 PM »

I have to say that I didn't think I would like the new monster...but after seeing it in person I am becoming a fan, especially from the front.  It has a very agressive look to it, and I hate to say this but it made the other Monsters sitting nearby look a little out dated.  *yes I put my nomex on before I typed that*

It's been my pleasure, and in the end...that's all that matters.
danaid

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »

that bike is a awful as i thought it would be. my dealer wouldn't let me demo it because i asked him if it came with a lifetime supply of barf bags when you buy one.  he didn't like that much. if someone were to like the look and seating position of this machine , they are more likley to ride a race machine. the ergos are all wrong. its not cumfy like my s2r. not even close. and the mirrors are useless. they are so low and you see nothing except your torso. no matter how high you adjust them. ick......... Angry

the "the monster is ruined" ron

Luckly you don't make much sense, I just tood delivery of mine and I'm 6'2" 220 the ergos are just rite, mirrors give me a perfect view, But the style is a matter of your taste. Which I like the new modern look.

Dan

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
factorPlayer

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »

Oh yeah and the fast idle lever is back

+1 for fast idle  Grin
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »

It sounds like the difference in the clutch is that the 696 has the apc slipper clutch. Someone with a late model 620 or 800 monster should find it the same. The first 620 that came into the shop with one of these I thought was broken laughingdp

The friction zone is very different from the non slipper versions and not comparable to the dry clutches. You use to be able to buy a upgrade kit for $500 that had the clutch,primary drive and a new clutch master cylinder. great deal, that must be why they did away with the kit. bang head
Bad Kitty

Anxiously awaiting a 696...

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 05:34:19 PM »

Oh yeah and the fast idle lever is back

+1 for fast idle  Grin

I'm curious how tall you are... 

I was very comfortable when I sat on it, and I'm only 5'3".  I couldn't demo ride it, they only had the one and it was sold.  It was definitely not as comfortable as the 695, but I am anxious to get the motor running and take her for a spin.

I love how the heckler pops in all proud of how juvenile and foolish he acted at the dealership, brilliant!  Then, taking the opportunity to act even more foolish by announcing to the forum how much he hates the new beauty while breaking every grammar rule in the English language and mis-spelling nearly half of the words.  What a great multi-tasker, I would be proud of myself too. Roll Eyes

What is that great quote?  Better to remain quiet and people THINK you a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:42:46 PM by Bad Kitty » Logged

I wanna ride... take me to your track!

MEOW!!!
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »

A closed mouth gathers no feet Grin

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 11:37:40 PM »

A closed mouth gathers no feet Grin

that's funny. waytogo

cdc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: