Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:05:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Took the 696 out for a spin....  (Read 5630 times)
factorPlayer

« on: May 17, 2008, 10:02:06 AM »

Props to Ducati Austin for letting me ride their latest bike!!

The first thing I noticed right off the bat is that this bike feels light.  Just turning it around and backing up it was far easier than on my S2R.  Forgot what the exact weight is on this bike but there is an instantly noticeable difference.  U-turns are smaller and much easier!

So fired it up and off I went.  The clutch action was the next big difference.  It was hard to tell when it actually engages and took a bit getting used to, especially at moving off (never stalled it though!)

This model had the termi kit already on, so it was good to go.  The power was very smooth all the way up with no hiccups, and the shift action was even smoother.  The clutch pull was very easy, much more so than any other monster I've been on.  The ergos seem to place you further over the tank and you don't see much of the bike when you are on it.  I didn't take to the new tank much; my knees didn't settle into it as naturally as the contours of the old tank. 

The new guages take some getting used to if you're used to the old analog style.  Like the 1098 there's a rocker switch to cycle through the different info available.  This allows the rider access to a bit more data than before, such as the battery voltage.

What's the verdict?  Well, this is a very different bike from the previous gen of monsters, and not just stylistically.  The contrast between it and my S2R (and my old 620 for that matter) was night and day.  This new monster is a thoroughly modern and contemporary bike with the latest technology, wheras the S2R is more of a beast of 90's tech whose engine definitely has its favorite spots on the tach.  Personally I won't be moving to the new monster anytime soon and I like my bike fine, but it was fun to try out Ducati's latest.  The impression I came away with is that this new bike is thoroughly modern and almost a bit detatched, with a very different character than before.  All in all though I think the new monster is an excellent city bike and a fine entry model for the line-up!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 09:42:09 PM by factorPlayer » Logged
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:04:32 AM »

nice write up.. I'll be seeing it later on today... I'll post up my impressions as well...

factorPlayer

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:19:18 AM »

Apparently the bikes just showed up this week so I'm sure quite a few dealerships are having demos today.  I just felt the need to post a write-up before anyone else - damn this board sometimes!  Grin
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:43:47 AM »

Interesting, GP did pretty much the same thing.   Put the termis on as they were pulling it out of the crate. My guess is the bike must sound anemic with the stock pipes
factorPlayer

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:52:52 AM »

Interesting, GP did pretty much the same thing.   Put the termis on as they were pulling it out of the crate. My guess is the bike must sound anemic with the stock pipes

I think termis simply help maximize the experience and are a good idea for a demo.  haven't heard any duc really that sounds particularly great with stock pipes, 'cept maybe 1098.
Count Desmo

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:54:36 AM »

Thanks for the write-up!  I'm still not used to the style, but all things must change I suppose.
aaronb

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »

I just got back from my demo ride too, what a fun little bike!  The bike i rode was identical to the one above, black w/ termis (baffles in).

i will agree that the clutch was a bit funky (or just different) very light pull (+) but the contact point was very far out (-).  seat to bar reach is much shorter than the OG monster, a bit too short for me at 6'1''.  the foot pegs were in a very nice position, they felt a bit lower than my s2r1k.  i don't know if ground clearance will be an issue, but it was comfy. 

the engine ran flawlessly through the range, it was very smooth at low throttle through town and was eager to spin up the tach whenever asked.  the motor was more than enough for cruising around town, adequate the twisties, but lacked a little omph on the freeway.  it required a down shift (5-4) to get moving from a cruise at 75

brakes were good, of course, and the suspension felt nice.  the bike was very quick to turn in and held it's line nicely compared to my bike.  maybe that's from the forward riding position.

after riding thee 696 i immediately climbed onto a hyper'tard.  wowsers, that bike was fun!  it was my first taste of the 1100ds and i am jealous of it's fueling compared to my 1k, otherwise it felt very similar to the 1000.  if they make an 1100s monster it would be an absolute hoot...

to sum it up, i really wanted to hate the 696 because it is different but i think ducati has built a winner.  my dealer has already sold 13 so clearly they did something right.   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:29:38 AM by aaronb » Logged

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
monster2b

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:18:02 PM »

I stopped by Spectrum Ducati today to check it out as well.  Not as fugly as I thought it would be.  It does seem that the bars are a bit further foward than my S2R, but the ergos seemed nice. I do prefer the analog gauges, but not a major flaw. If they come out with the same bike with a SSS and 1100 motor I'd be interested.
Valor

2003 Monster 620 Dark

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 01:49:12 PM »

Hey Aaron, I assume you rode the 696 at Corse in Saukville? I had a chance to demo it too. Absolutely stunning! I had a ton of fun ... I went up there on my 620 to get the 6K service done. On the way out I saw the 696. Now I'm SERIOUSLY considering putting a deposit down on one. I too wanted to hate this bike ... but I can't.

Valor
c_kyle

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 02:45:56 PM »

Me too.

It was white w/ the fly screen and seat cowl, and standard exhaust.  Overall, I loved it.  I though I was going to hate the headlight, but once I was riding, I forgot all about it. Wink  The digital multifunction gauge, I didn't like so much.  I guess it takes some getting used to.  It's a fun bike.  It has plenty of power (for me), and fits me very well.

I'm putting my deposit down on Monday.  Anyone know what the price of the bike is w/ the Termi's?
the ron

pseodohollageniccoumpoundcianigin

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 02:56:28 PM »

that bike is a awful as i thought it would be. my dealer wouldn't let me demo it because i asked him if it came with a lifetime supply of barf bags when you buy one.  he didn't like that much. if someone were to like the look and seating position of this machine , they are more likley to ride a race machine. the ergos are all wrong. its not cumfy like my s2r. not even close. and the mirrors are useless. they are so low and you see nothing except your torso. no matter how high you adjust them. ick......... Angry

the "the monster is ruined" ron

" If you were directly above him, then how did you see him?"
"...... Because i was inverted."
marvellous

I used to have a Titanium member...

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 03:41:21 PM »

There's a white demo 696 here in Bend, OR, they just put the Termi's on and they're looking for just over $10K for it... might go demo it next week for fun...

Isn't it interesting how people keep saying that they 'want to hate it'?  I'm personally 'kinda' feeling that way but curious on how it rides and such.  Don't get me wrong, not going to get one, ever, I'm VERY VERY happy w/ my S2R, just curious on how it rides...

My baby Duc 'Cara' - 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 Dark Mods • CRG Lanesplitters • Rhinomoto Bar-end Sliders • DP Gel Seat • Dark Seat Cowl • 14t AFAM Light Front Sprocket • CompWerks Tailchop • Smoke Clear Alt Taillight Kit with Integrated Blinkers • Smoke Clear Alt Turnsignal Kit • QuatD Ceramic Coated ExBox Exhaust • Soon to be Mods • Carbon Hugger •
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »

that bike is a awful as i thought it would be. my dealer wouldn't let me demo it because i asked him if it came with a lifetime supply of barf bags when you buy one.  he didn't like that much. if someone were to like the look and seating position of this machine , they are more likley to ride a race machine. the ergos are all wrong. its not cumfy like my s2r. not even close. and the mirrors are useless. they are so low and you see nothing except your torso. no matter how high you adjust them. ick......... Angry

Take a deep breath Ronnie, you were only dreaming when you thought you would ever HAVE to get one.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »

Ride your ride, let others ride theirs.

That doable?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
oldjackbob

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »

my dealer wouldn't let me demo it because i asked him if it came with a lifetime supply of barf bags when you buy one.  he didn't like that much.

LMAO!!!

The Ron, you slay me sometimes!!

To quote Steve Martin, "How can ya be so frickin funny"?   laughingdp
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 05:49:44 PM by oldjackbob » Logged

"You can't build a reputation on something you haven't done." -- H. Ford
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: