Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:38:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anniversary reflection  (Read 4778 times)
fastwin
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:29:21 AM »

This time exactly one year ago I was unconscious in a helicopter flying to a hospital in Fort Smith Arkansas with a handful of crushed vertebrae in my neck. Can you remember what you were doing on this Saturday last year? Special occcasions like that have a way of branding themselves on one's memory. Celebrated by going out for migas for breakfast on the Gixxer and going for a nice ride afterwards! What a beautful day! Stopped by Baylor Rehab Hospital to look around for old time sake. Thanked some of the staff who I recognized, they were happy to see me up and around but glared at my helmet and jacket. Wished my rehab doctor had been there but he was not on call... hopefully he was off riding his bike enjoying the day! Good opportunity to once again say thanks to Leo, Scott, Patrick, Lisa (and Sam) and Swanny for the visits and all the help. waytogo Jen and I really appreciate it to this day. Think I will skip on reminding Jen what today is... that might be best. Tongue
caffeinejunkee

'07 M695--sold; red '96 900SS CR; '04 Busa--sold

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:39:08 AM »

I didn't know you back then, but I'm glad that I met you since and that you are here today to post this.  waytogo
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »

You were blessed that day Brian.  Ride safe and enjoy it.

cdc
calscrazy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »

it's kinda funny you posted this today brian. you and your accident came up in conversation today. my wife and i were out eating lunch. i was wearing one of my duc shirts and a couple of guys came up and we started talking. they asked if i hurt my leg riding told them no. my wife being a surgical nurse asked them if that's what they wore to ride in. they wore t-shirt, jeans, shoes and sunglasses. no protective gear what so ever. not even a piss pot helmet. i told the one guy i know of two people (alan and you) who will swear by wearing the right gear. afterwards she said she was glad to know the people i ride with dress appropriatly. either way glad to have met you and very good to know you now.

home will always be between the red and rio!!!
2007 m695 errr recently passed away
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 07:03:07 PM »

WoW, just... wow. Yeah, I do have a vague recollection of this time last year  Wink
From my position at the back, it appeared a large turkey had swallowed a hand grenade. There were feathers at least 30 feet in the air.
Seeing Brain unconscious, calling his wife, dealing with paramedics & careflight... It's something I won't forget.
Brian, I'm honored to count you among my friends, & even more thrilled to count you among the living!
& D@mn, I think you had bought a new bike less than 6 months later, & riding in 7 or 8 ?!?  laughingdp

To Fastwin  chug chug chug

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
LYD

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 07:13:18 PM »

Brian, I didn't know you then, but I am D@MN glad to know you now.  Thank god for wearing the corect protection!!  Glad your alive and kicking.   waytogo waytogo  Like Chris said, I am glad to say all my Duc friends ride with all the right gear!!

To LSD/DFWM/THCM from LYD:    waytogo

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
WonderBoy

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 07:51:48 PM »

Brian--

Man, I remember reading about your accident, and man I was crushed.  This cool guy that I had met a couple times, really outgoing, friendly guy, was now in the hospital, and had to be careflighted there no less.  I prayed for you big time.  I'm glad to know you and call you a friend, and even more glad that you survived this ordeal and got back on that pony again.

To Brian!  drink

High above the muckey muck...
fastwin
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts and kind words. Amazing, time flies by whether you are having fun or not! Can't believe a year has passed... God damn stupid turkey! At least I took that dumbass out of the gene pool! I was laughing telling a Carrollton motorcycle cop that I met tonight at a friend's cookout party how I stashed a helmet, gloves and boots at the storage building and would "have to go run an errand" when I started driving a car again and would sneak over to the storage bldg. and take a bike out for a ride without Jen knowing! (OK, anyone tells her that and I'm gonna introduce you to a guy named Fat Tony!!!) My first ride was to AMS Dallas on back streets! Took me awhile to feel safe and steady again... heck, somedays I still don't feel like I will ever be the same on a bike again but hot damn at least I am riding! waytogo

Again, thanks for the posts. You guys are the best! And again, thanks to all those that came by the hospital and helped out. You all kept my poor wife sane through an insane time. I am forever grateful to you all. Yeah, Chris, nothing like being a poster child for wearing the right gear. Am I right Alan? Tongue See ya'll on a ride soon... I like the sound of those words!
fastwin
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »

WoW, just... wow. Yeah, I do have a vague recollection of this time last year  Wink
From my position at the back, it appeared a large turkey had swallowed a hand grenade. There were feathers at least 30 feet in the air.
Seeing Brain unconscious, calling his wife, dealing with paramedics & careflight... It's something I won't forget.
Brian, I'm honored to count you among my friends, & even more thrilled to count you among the living!
& D@mn, I think you had bought a new bike less than 6 months later, & riding in 7 or 8 ?!?  laughingdp

To Fastwin  chug chug chug

Yeah, how'd you get stuck as the one making "that call"?? Did Billy act like he couldn't work a cell phone and Jari and his buddy start speaking nothing but Finnish?? Me no speaky English. That's a shitty call to make. Tongue
never2loud
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »

Hey Brian, it's an awesome thing to post this to you now considering your situation this time last year.   

We - Alan and I - are both so happy your story has a happy ending.  I realize things aren't quite what they were, but man, you were exceedingly lucky (or bleesed...) and it is just cool to see your posts everyday now.  I hope your recovery continues to improve over the coming months.

Glad you're up and about - MUENSTER RIDE SOON (or else)  Evil
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:05:40 PM by n2f » Logged
LYD

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »

MUENSTER RIDE SOON (or else)  Evil

Excellent!!

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
fastwin
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »

Damn right! I really enjoyed the last Muenster run and have chomped at the bit for another. We had a killer turn out last run and a great lunch on the patio in Muenster! We seriuosly need to do this again soon before the heat wave hits... and that won't be long! All I know is I'm thinking Muenster...mmmm, German food and beer... oh, and Italian bikes. Yeah, yeah... OK, so this time I'll ride a Duc just to keep you happy! cheeky Plans anyone? We'll call it an anniversry ride for an excuse to do it! waytogo
never2loud
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 03:14:51 AM »

MUENSTER RUN!!!!

I'm starting a new thread  Cheesy
gt1000man

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 04:45:56 AM »

He still can't remember the trip to the Elbow Room we took while he was at Baylor.... sad, really sad chug
fastwin
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 05:52:01 AM »

Hey, you had your chance to go down there and grab us a couple of subs and pints but Noooo you felt compelled to sit around a boring hospital room listening to the deranged rantings (which to this day show up in all my posts!) of a heavily sedated animal attack victim all night long! That was the only lucid and reasonable thing I ever said to anyone the whole two weeks I was in the hospital... hell, it still is! Haven't said anything worth listening to since. OK, it's set in stone. Next time you come to DFW you can borrow a scoot and we'll ride down there for a sandwich and beer... anyone care to join us when we do? drink

Again, thank you Leo for all the help! Jen and I really appreciate it. You know today the 19th is the true anniversary date but Saturday is where it fell on the calender. Guess I'll go out and wax the Turkey Killer and fill her up with premium to show her I care! laughingdp
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: