Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 03, 2024, 08:20:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooking up an automatic garage door opener to the bike.  (Read 3264 times)
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« on: May 07, 2009, 07:40:55 PM »

Any thoughts? It's a pain using the one now-ideally I could start bike, door would open automatically, drive away, door closes. Returning would work the opposite. The current automatic door opener is huge and unwieldy.

Suggestions? Can this be done?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:52:56 PM »

Any thoughts? It's a pain using the one now-ideally I could start bike, door would open automatically, drive away, door closes. Returning would work the opposite. The current automatic door opener is huge and unwieldy.

Suggestions? Can this be done?

It has been done. There was someone that had it so that it actuated with his high beam/passing button.

It was on TOB though. I'll try to find it.

erkishhorde

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:28:49 PM »

Na, we revived that thread here. Lemme search.

Got it:
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=16164.0

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:37:22 AM »

Finding a remote that works off 12V and isn't one foot long seems impossible.  The Autoswitch seems like a good way to go for only $30.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
caboteria

02 M750, 70 R50/5, 06 SV650

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »

Here's an interesting approach:
BMW F800S Garage Door Opener
alligator

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »

That's awesome!  I want one, but I bet the maintenance and troubleshooting almost makes it not worth it.  Plus, I hear multiple openers like that are incompatible with each other.
Ivan

Turn 3 at Streets of Willow

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:22:19 PM »

I bought a very small remote at Home Despot, it is made by Genie.  The circuit card inside is little bit larger than the size of a quarter, and it runs on a 12V battery. I removed the circuit board from the plastic case, and tossed the 12V battery.  I then soldered the switch that actuates the opener so it was permanently on.  Next, connect the battery + terminal to the Flash to Pass switch, and ground the (-) terminal of the remote to any convenient ground point on the bike.  Finally, pot the circuit board in RTV (also available at Home Despot) so that it is protected from the elements, and use a tie-wrap to secure the remote to your wire harness somewhere that is out of the way.  I've done this mod on two of my bikes, and its always been reliable.

Just be sure to test the remote to make sure that it is compatible with you opener before you start tearing into it.

-> Edited to add:  Looks like I did the same thing that CharlieF described in the other thread that was linked above.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 04:29:07 PM by Ivan » Logged

Sold: 2007 S2R1000 for canyon carving and commuting - DP ECU, PCIII, BMC air filter with open box, Zard full exhaust, Race-tech fork internals, Ohlins steering damper, and a Penske 8987 triple clicker

2000 996XU (extra ugly) for track days - BST carbon wheels, Ohlins shock, reworked fork, FBF exhaust, and a bunch of megacycle rocker arms. The rest of it is junk - Hey, I'm just happy that it runs...

Sold: 2002 Aprilia RST1000 for touring - De-restricted airbox, Taylormade Racing exhaust
billg69gmc

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »

I bought my remotes from:
http://www.onlinedoorremotes.com/
Reasonable prices. I also hunted down micro momentary switches and have them temporarily mounted.
I buried the two remotes (one for a gate, one for a garage) behind the side panels. I'm sure you can mount the buttons most anywhere. It's mainly coming up with a mounting bracket.

My initial search was for a one piece top plate for the handle bar clamp, but since they are all "dog bones", there is no spare space to drill/mount the micro switch. It was easier with clip ons, since the handle bar bolt holes free up that whole center area for any sort of mini box/plate that can hold the switches.

As far as batteries go, I'm using the units going on 2 years, so I see no need to wire into my bike.

2010 StreetFighter S     2008 Hym1100     2006 S2R1k
Newcatista

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 05:41:14 AM »

I can't imagine why you would want to go thru all the trouble to attach it to the bike when you can pick up a key fob type and have it on your key ring. Mine sits perfectly in the cup area so I can easily operate it. What brand of garage door opener(GDO) do you have? Genie, Craftsman, Overhead Door, and Chamberlain all make them. Also, most GDOs are programmable to learn any opener as well, like the Homelink system in cars.
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 06:30:14 AM »

I can't imagine why you would want to go thru all the trouble to attach it to the bike when you can pick up a key fob type and have it on your key ring. Mine sits perfectly in the cup area so I can easily operate it. What brand of garage door opener(GDO) do you have? Genie, Craftsman, Overhead Door, and Chamberlain all make them. Also, most GDOs are programmable to learn any opener as well, like the Homelink system in cars.

What's a "cup area?"  Neither of my bike have cup holders, nor will they.  Grin

Key fob GDOs leave scratches, can be ruined by rain, and sometimes you have to fumble for them. 

Currently, I have my opener velcro-ed to the top of my gauges, but I'd like to just tap the brake or flash the high beams to open the garage door. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:32:15 AM by pompetta » Logged

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »

Because my wife is terribly short, the hill is terribly steep, and if the control was somewhere far easier to reach, it would make her happy. Hence the trouble.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »

Because my wife is terribly short, the hill is terribly steep, and if the control was somewhere far easier to reach, it would make her happy. Hence the trouble.
Wow...

you're a friggen prince. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Charlief

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 05:33:51 PM »

I have had my setup since my original post on TOB.

No problems at all....  and its a god send when its raining...  a flash of the hi beam switch and door opens.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 05:58:08 PM »

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=23486.0
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 11:50:08 AM »

you're a friggen prince. Grin

Grin Grin

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: